Everything you always wanted to ask...

Papi

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Then it means that after a while, the gate with be far far away from the planet?

You're just as bad as he is. Whats the planet orbiting the Sun, got to do with the jump gate? They are DIFFERENT bodies. One has an orbital plane (like a station) and the other doesn't.

What'd I miss?

oops, I hit the edit post button instead of the reply-with-quote. Sorry.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Come on people, quit pissing off SC. First of all every time I see basically the same posts over and over again from different people and then SC trying to beat it into someone's head how something is makes me laugh so hard I get a headache. Then SC finally snaps and bashes someone for being not so smart, and then the guy he bashes apologizes and life goes on. So how about from now on we skip steps one and two and after the question is asked and SC replies, the next post should say something like "SC, sorry". That way the thread is not full of posts that don't mean much, and SC will be happier and healthier. But then again, will the forums be as fun a place to visit?

Ok, well, sorry I asked a redundant and unclear question SC.

I included that quote because Ep. 5 said that BCM will use the same system BC3K did, which that quote proves it does not. If I'm wrong, well...

I recall SC mentioning somewhere about 'graphical glitches' with Voodoo cards. Can someone expand on these glitches; are they very obvious? do they really detract from the game? I have played both demos, but didn't really see anything which pissed me off completely. Can't afford to change my card at the moment, so I'm stuck with it for the time being.

Also found a drop in frame rate on the planetary missions, will the full gold version run a lot more smoothly? I'm assuming 'Yes'.

That's all for now.

Hi Paddy, as I said in the beginning of this thread, I have V3 and it works... but I have to use command line options to disable multitexturing and use low res 64x64 terrain textures. It makes living much easier with crappy V3 , here we go again...(I gotta have new gard before I blow up) So to conclude this, yes you can play it with... (o.k. calm down) V3, but you'll surely loose some eye candy and planets from space looks like broken glass.

Paddy, I feel for ya. Another Voodoo owner, and I'm just going to have to suffer. I've resolved myself to that fact. But if it's any consolation, when the new Geforce cards come out, prices should drop. Grabbing a GF 2 would be better than staying with the V5 in my H.O.

Unfortunately, due to my setup, I can't use any nVidia-based chipsets (it's complicated, just go to the Powerleap forums for more info). So I'll have to stick with my V5 till I buy a new PC or rip out it's guts and put in a new mobo/cpu. (Actually, as it's a Dell, I'll have to get a new tower as well and just keep my hard-drive and CD-ROM)

I'll look for the URL for Powerleap.

Edit:

Here's the link.

Actually reading it myself, I might be able to use a Geforce 2 PCI card, anyone care to comment?

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

Oh and Scott1, AI is the term for artificial intelligence. In all computer games, AI refers to the code that is used to control game characters that are not you.

The AI in BCM is used to control pretty well everything in the game world. If you would like to see it at work, you can buy the game. If you're new to computer gaming, it's an understandable question, but one that doesn't belong in this thread.

There are people who try to enter this forum and cause trouble. They are people who have a problem with Derek, or the game, and they register on this board to ask silly questions, and insult the game.

If you are one of those people, your ruse is up, and you are not welcome. If you are not, I apologize, and suggest you check out the game description, and the FAQ for more info about the game.

My v5 worked good with the latest drivers on both win2k and on winME, the only probelm was I would have transparent layers on certain surfaces, and the Hyperdrive transition would screw up sometimes. Other than that, it looks comparable to the G3 in terms of resolution.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

My v5 worked good with the latest drivers on both win2k and on winME, the only probelm was I would have transparent layers on certain surfaces, and the Hyperdrive transition would screw up sometimes. Other than that, it looks comparable to the G3 in terms of resolution.

Really? What drivers are you using?

On my V3, V4, V5, here is what I get in all versions of Windows, using the final 3Dfx drivers as well as the lastest x3Dfx drivers.

Notice the texturing:

distant planet

close planet

Notice the texturing, White banding etc

fp mode, crouched

fp mode, standing

fp mode, standing + firing

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Thanks SC.

I recognise the close-up planet textures from demo 2. The distant one doesn't look too bad at all. Got any non-V screenshots to compare, would like to see what I'm missing (wait, I'll go check the screenshots page first, before you chew me out )

To be honest, if those are the only problems, I can live with them till I get a new system / video-card / upgrade.

Damn SC I never saw resolutions that bad with mine...

My planets never had the choppy texture up close and the FP weaps always showed up correctly.

I installed my Voodoo5 5500 default drivers then went to microsoft update and downloaded their updated compatibility drivers. Also I used the 3dfx tools to straighten out display.

As far as BCM settings, I was running on 32 bit everything, no particle trails, no hyperjump gfx.

Everything looked okay.

I also had a 1ghz p3 and 256 mb of ram backing it up so i dunno if that was it.

I complained about what was going on in an old thread, don't remember which but it was before I bought my g3, but all I noticed was the transparent ground layer in the Marine ACM and the commander fp view. Keep in mind that is with Hyperdrive off because the jump graphics would (sometimes) screw up and cause the game to crash.

voodoo5 5500 pci not agp so I dunno if the agp has differences.

Anyway the drivers I used were from Microsoft. I didn't download the ones from 3dfx.com, didn't trust them.

quote:

Anyway the drivers I used were from Microsoft. I didn't download the ones from 3dfx.com, didn't trust them.

Since when did MS carry 3Dfx drivers? Whats the URL?

This is odd because even Andy Mahood, the reviewer for PC Gamer, has a V5500 and experienced the same identical problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Since when did MS carry 3Dfx drivers? Whats the URL?

I'd be interested in that too.

I'm at work (still), but I think I have the beta 1.04.01 drivers, or something like that. Also, as $ilk pointed out, could there be a difference between the PCI and AGP cards? I have an AGP myself and get all the texture problems that SC mentioned.

Alright, what I did under windows 2000 was attempt install the voodoo 5 drivers for the V5PCI. The v5 cd told me that it wasn't available for win2k and left me stuck at 16 color display. I went to microsoft.com and went to windows update. Under the Device Drivers section it told me that a 3dfx update was available to fix problems with win2k, I installed it and never had a problem afterwards besides the ones with BCM and Also in 3dmark 2001 during the 3dmark test it gets glitchy in the demo video in the first scene only. (with the statue in the rain) I never had the display problem with weapons or graphics textures getting crumpled. Only the transparent ground layer and the glitch in maximum zoom in on the AE while on planet with your mouse all the way down to give a view of the ground you would get a wierd color. other than that nothing.

BTW MAX PAYNE and Operation Flashpoint ran smoothly with the voodoo5 with no graphical glitches that I encountered.

I know that the AGP did have some problems the PCI didn't, but don't remember where I read that. Of course the PCI was slower, but overall the PCI cards still selling cost more than the AGP I have seen.

Any my Display ran in 32 bit

quote:

BTW MAX PAYNE and Operation Flashpoint ran smoothly with the voodoo5 with no graphical glitches that I encountered.

Your point being what? Neither one of them has a single model that is even remotely in size as the BCM models. The problem with the Voodoo cards is that they are losing precision in Z buffer calculation. I spoke to the Croteam guys, Brian Hook and a few other devs, who agree. That planet you see in the shot, is HUGE (the equatorial diameter of Earth is 12756km. Do the math). From a distance, its fine, up close, its not. And thats due to the size of the polys when up close.

And when you compensate for closeer models (fp weapons), it overflows in the opposite direction.

The problem is ONLY evident on Voodoo cards and its due to bad architecture and drivers. They never banked on someone doing a game that even goes anywhere near the limits of the card+drivers. Which is exactly what I went and did. And since they're no longer around to fix it, all Voodoo owners of BCM, are screwed.

Buy a GF or Radeon

I agree, my point simply being that my particular voodoo 5 : Pricewatch Price 3Dfx 3Dfx, Voodoo5 5500 64mb PCI NEW,Bulk w/CD $ 136 6.5 9/17/2001 9:07:03 PM CST CompuVest

888-644-7017

206-547-2600 WA )

did not display the errors that you showed in your screenshots and described. I mean seriously my planets never got crunched... of course I'm only listing this just to say that these effects didn't happen on that particular card, and I'm not trying to defend my ex-3d lover...

quote:

I agree, my point simply being that my particular voodoo 5 : Pricewatch Price 3Dfx 3Dfx, Voodoo5 5500 64mb PCI NEW,Bulk w/CD $ 136 6.5 9/17/2001 9:07:03 PM CST CompuVest

888-644-7017

206-547-2600 WA )

did not display the errors that you showed in your screenshots and described. I mean seriously my planets never got crunched... of course I'm only listing this just to say that these effects didn't happen on that particular card, and I'm not trying to defend my ex-3d lover...

Lets just say that I don't believe it, and leave it at that. OK?

Whatever works. Just write me off as an oddity with excellent computer setup skills.

I'm gonna hunt for that Voodoo5 5500 AGP VS PCI report later anyway though.

Well, got's to run cause power is fixing to be shut off here while electric company does some shit. See you guys later.