God Awful Windows XP

Aventar

So guys are your saying that Win XP ain't good for games? Well thank god I saw your posts or I'd be getting more headeachs on my computer as I am just about to order it on the net.

Bah I'll wait for a few months and stick with my Me.

Oh yeah since Nova ain't here welcome Alazrian.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

So it's a race to the newbie, huh?

Yep, welcome aboard. (I'm the Newbie Welcome Wagon, be sure to ask me if you've got any other questions, about the games, the Fleets, or whatever. [email protected] )

---

I'm iffy about XP. What games do you have that aren't working? Basically, anything that uses DOS is screwed with XP. I'll stick with ME until I know more about XP to make a decision. (I don't listen to what others' say, until I see it myself. That's how I figured the BC series out, going against the evil masses of the internet (aka Shirley).)

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Ever since I inadvertantly noticed that WinMe took away my precious pure DOS support when I upgraded to it, I've decided to absolutely hold off on any more OS upgrades untill I know everything there is to know about the OS in question.

Plus, I've got a 3dfx card, which doesn't exactly win any track records for the greatest driver support as of late... at least I can rest assured my card actually works under WinMe

WinXP yuck! It looks like a fisher-price baby toy, with its plactic translucent colors.

I stick with win98se, even there it was a tough decision to upgrade from 95 to 98.

With my new computer I'll install the mandrake linux

Now I must know if "wine" will work with BCM. SC?

Yes indeed, all the hype for XP is just that, HYPE...

I wouldn't switch over if Bill Gates himself payed me, too many DOS games that I like to play that wouldn't run on it, although I hear that this is NOT supposed to be the case, Win 2K was like that as well.

I think that WinXP is a cross between Win2K and WinME, and in my opinion neither of them was very good. I stick with Win98SE until I see that ALL the bugs have been worked out and an addon is added that will allow DOS based games to run.

I also NEVER upgrade my OS until the New OS has been out at least 2 years, I know, it limits me, but at least my computer stays up more then it would otherwise!! LOL

I too, am a 98SE user, and I am sooooooo ready to dump it in the trash for the stability of an OS based on Win NT code.

I have it from very reliable sources that the NT core is super stable. And from what I understand, they actually placed Dos game support into XP and according to PC Gamer, it works. We'll see if it does, and I'll let you guys know if there are any problems. Personally I'm getting ready to kiss my Dos games good bye. I loved them. I'm playing the last few of them as we speak. But I can't take it anymore! I need stability. Win 98 has served me well. We've been through alot together, good times, bad times, and now it's time to BURN IT ON THE TRASH HEAP OF TIME!!!

XP will be stable, it will hopefully be able to handle Duke Nukem, and if you don't like the look it comes with the classic win 98 interface.

The only thing that ticks me off royally about the whole deal is this...

They want info about my computer?! For what, to stop me from loading it on another computer? I'm sorry but...

a) If I have two computers in my house, I should be able to load it onto both of them with one copy. You don't like it Bill, tough for you. It's my house, they're my computers!

B) I upgrade like it's going out of style. It is going to be a pain if I get to the point where I have to call them just so I can load the damn thing on my computer. That will really tick me off big time.

But in spite of it all, I'm making the jump. I'm going to be an early adopter. And I'll let you know if you should jump right in, or stay the hell away.

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

They want info about my computer?! For what, to stop me from loading it on another computer? I'm sorry but...

Hehe.. I'm glad I will eventualy get the Corporate Edition of WinXP, no need to send any comp infor to them.

quote:

With my new computer I'll install the mandrake linux

Tux rules!

quote:

Now I must know if "wine" will work with BCM.

Depends on which OS features are used by BCM. Emulators can only emulate so much of a system. In any case, it's possible.

I have heard stories from Uni students that some Linux users have managed to run Windows 98 as an application within Linux ( ).

quote:

I too, am a 98SE user, and I am sooooooo ready to dump it in the trash for the stability of an OS based on Win NT code.

Why don't you just set up a dual boot of Win98SE and WinNT4?

quote:

Personally I'm getting ready to kiss my Dos games good bye. I loved them. I'm playing the last few of them as we speak. But I can't take it anymore! I need stability.

I'm keeping Win95 on another computer for DOS games. It never ceases to amaze me how stable Win95 can be when you only have 5 software packages installed.

Thank god you guys brought it up!!

I was just thinking of ordering XP online. My Win 98SE keeps giving me the big blue screen of death even with this specs

256k SDRAM

Intel Pentium III 500 processor

NVidia Riva TNT Ultra 8MB RAM

Creative Live!

Creative CDROM 50x with remote controller

Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro

Dang I really, really prefer DOS.

I have win98SE, it does give you the blue screen sometimes, but I am pretty happy with it. Easy to use, compatible with a lot of things and it's super easy to format/upgrade/reinstall your system (I heard it's not so with XP). So I am still undecided if I would upgrade to XP, probably won't.

I've actually been using XP for a few weeks (No, it's not legitimate... yet) and I LOVE it. It is exactly a cross between ME and 2000... but even though I'm pretty sure its all beta code, this thing is unbeliavably stable. But where it really gets Kudos is that with the new DetonatorXP drivers, I get an extra 20% performance increase in my games (Thats on top of the Driver's performance boost). This is actually the first time I think I have ever been somewhat impressed by one of Microsofts OS's. It's stable, it's fast, and it's friggin pretty (It's all colorful and... colorful) and *really* easy to network (Win98SE needs a little tweaking, LAN parties are so much easier on XP, believe me). The downside is, there are almost guaranteed to be some big, gaping security holes. There always are with MSs releases. *snic* But other than that, I find nothing wrong with XP. My [legit] copy is pre-ordered.

BCM runs fine on WIN2K and WINXP. I haven't come across any problems, other than sound and video drivers.

You'll only get problems in WINXP with programs that had problems in WIN2K to begin with.

Its simple, regardless of what MS tells you (most of which is pure marketing bollocks), WINXP is not a consumer level OS. Stick with WINME or WIN98SE if you want across-the-board compatibility with older programs.

Most of WINXP problems are hardware driver related. They are no different from the same problems under WIN2K.

Can you say which sound and which video drivers you had problems with? Actually I'll be more specific, any problems with the Geforce 3 drivers, or Creative Soundblaster drivers. I'd love to know for the obvious reasons.

I've been using WinXP for about 2 weeks on the minimum requirements pretty much (PII-300 64 MB RAM) and it's great. Stable (meaning no OS crashes!). Anyway, using the compatibility mode, I've gotten 1 game working that didn't work on 2K (Madden 2000) and in the Microsoft newsgroups I've heard about some others.

I'd recommend XP but whatever you do, CLEAN INSTALL. DO NOT UPGRADE EVEN IF MICROSOFT SAYS IT'S SAFE TO. IT WILL BE BUGGY IF YOU UPGRADE!!!!!

Sorry for the shouting but that's my advice

The next fool (moderator or admin) who deletes ANY of my posts, is going get an ass whooping like it was Sunday.

What happened to my previous post to Kush, in which I told him to go read the frigging FAQ and not to ask me any silly questions?

Hey you, Kush, yeah you! Go read the frigging FAQ and don't ask me any silly questions.

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]