Which NVIDIA to get?

Guest dnoyeB!

Guest dnoyeB!

This time I am buying my video card to cater to BCM. I am wondering whats the card/performance ration for the following

GeForce 3 -Ti200

GeForce 2 -Ti200

There seems to be close to a $100 dollar difference between these 2 cards. Will I get $100 dollars worth of performance out of the 3 vs. the 2?

I am seeking at least 800x600 gameplay, and 1024x768 is a bonus. No choppyness, and I want textures on. I want it pretty, but not advertising quality

thanks!

ps currently I have a GeForce256 but this new card will be in a new comp Im building for BCM, AMD 1Ghz 256MB DDR. Going to be using DVD as well.

I would think the 1024x768 option should be fine on either of those cards based on the beta. And 800x600 absolutely.

I like the looks of the GF3 Ti 200 personally, but go with whichever one your budget allows. You'll like either one.

I'm shooting for a GeForce 3 Ti 200 right now myself. If you get a basic one with almost no hardware extras or software bundle it can run you approximately USD$200.

I started this thread in the interests of trying to figure out the difference between various (low-cost) nVidia vendors; just thought I'd point it out in case you get around to wondering about that...

Guest dnoyeB!

Yes, I got the money. Right now the Computer is running about $450. I can cut $75 out by getting the GF2 Ti as opposed to the GF3Ti200.

So if we are all saying 800x600 is all good on the GF2 Ti200, and since the max TVout on the GF2 was 800x600, then I'm cool with that.

I have a wife, and a son so I need to conserve. Oh yea, and the recession and all, so they say

But the more I spend, the more the wife feels she can spend too, hehe. Its just like that

quote:

So if we are all saying 800x600 is all good on the GF2 Ti200, and since the max TVout on the GF2 was 800x600, then I'm cool with that

Just what the heck does TV Out have to do with this? TV Out resolution @ 800x600 will sucketh big time.

Get a GF3 for USD 250ish or a GF3Ti500 (no frills - TV Out, S-video, etc.) for USD 350ish and do not worry about TV Out. That is what CRT monitors or the various plat panel and LCD are for.

TTFN

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Just what the heck does TV Out have to do with this? TV Out resolution @ 800x600 will sucketh big time.

Get a GF3 for USD 250ish or a GF3Ti500 (no frills - TV Out, S-video, etc.) for USD 350ish and do not worry about TV Out. That is what CRT monitors or the various plat panel and LCD are for.

TTFN

800x600 will look no better or worse than 640x480, except I would have HUGE icons on my desktop because I'm stuck in 640x480. No the TV (52") wont look any better, but the size of the things on the screen will be better.

Actually I have convienced myself to get the new NVIDIA chipset with the GF2MX level performing built in graphics card. That should be enough power for BCM, and when its not I can upgrage then, but I love the fact that I can save ~$150 by not buying a video card, and get a video card/network card/dolby sound card/motherboard all in one, with TV-out!

I love it!

I have a VisionTek GForce 2MX 400 with 64MB RAM running on a 1GIG Athlon, w/128MB RAM. I get supperb frames at 1024x768, and can run most games (perfectly smooth) at 1600x1200 and still pull in around 50fps... I run the BCM demo e2 at 1280x(whatever) with all the extras turned on. ALl this on a GForce 2MX 400 just beautifully. Therefore, you should definently be able to pull out much more than I if I can do all that on a MX base card!

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Kenada ]

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Kenada:

I have a VisionTek GForce 2MX 400 with 64MB RAM running on a 1GIG Athlon, w/128MB RAM. I get supperb frames at 1024x768, and can run most games (perfectly smooth) at 1600x1200 and still pull in around 50fps... I run the BCM demo e2 at 1280x(whatever) with all the extras turned on. ALl this on a GForce 2MX 400 just beautifully. Therefore, you should definently be able to pull out much more than I if I can do all that on a MX base card!

Actually this MB will perform slightly below the GF2 MX. So I will be slightly below what you are getting. But with the savings, I can wait 6 months and get a GF3 for $150

Well actually, I was shocked to get the performance that i did... Total system specs:

1Gig AMD T-Bird

128MB PC133 (soon to be 256)

Asus A7V133

30WD HD ATA100

SB LIVE! Platnum

Netgear FA3111 NIC

FULL Size Steel Contructed Enlight Server Case

With 8*5.25", 2*3.5", 2*3.5 Hiddens.. Redundant PS

(With 5 3" Fans... LOUD)

I get most of my parts from

To pull around 50 FPS with most games was shocking to me... It just goes to show how NVidia is doing... I dont think the GF3 will drop down to $150 in 6 months... But you never know...

Tompson Computer Warehouse Check this place out, I dont think they have GF3s in right now, but their prices are great. Their located in Tampa and ship for 6.50 up to 150lbs. I live an hour drive away... Really do have good services..

One last thing, you should be able to pull at LEAST 60FPS at 1024x768 with a GF3. If you dont, you either got a offbrand or a bad one... Never by offbrand Vid Cards!

If you get a new Athlon system, be sure to get a motherboard that supports 200/266 mHz FSB, as that seems to be the way things are headed.

I wish I had the cash to get (and the system to run) a GF3 'Til I get both of those, I'm stuck with my Voodoo 3...*shudders*

You can get a pretty decent GF2 card for $90-120 or so, depending on where you go. If money is a problem, that'd be a decent option (at least until the prices drop on the GF3s ) That's what I'm going with when I get my new comp in December.

Some Geforce 3s are going for very cheap:

You can get a Geforce 3 Ti500 for about $145 US. You can get a Geforce 3 Ti200 for about $165 US.

As for a motherboard, the Nvidia Nforce chipset looks like a good choice. Not only does it support all the latest tech, its integrated grahics preform like a Geforce 2 and it has decent on board sound. For $185 US(motherboard form MSI) you get a motherboard, video card, and sound card that will run all current games.

quote:

Originally posted by Game_Ender:

Some Geforce 3s are going for very cheap:

You can get a Geforce 3 Ti500 for about $145 US. You can get a Geforce 3 Ti200 for about $165 US.

Where?? Made by who?? I want one!!

quote:

Originally posted by Game_Ender:

As for a motherboard, the Nvidia Nforce chipset looks like a good choice. Not only does it support all the latest tech, its integrated grahics preform like a Geforce 2 and it has decent on board sound. For $185 US(motherboard form MSI) you get a motherboard, video card, and sound card that will run all current games.

I'm leaning more toward the MSI K7T266 Pro2 motherboard, myself ($115-$140, depending where you go). No integrated graphics, but I'm not really a big fan of them, anyway. That combination does sound interesting, though... Where'd you find it? I wanna take a look at it.

Guest Whitewing

As long as you are looking at the MSI mobo's, check out the K7T Turbo 2. Very nice board. RAID support for up to 4 HDD's. Supports any AMD chip up to 1.8Ghz I believe. I originally was running an AMD 900 in this board. I just this morning finished the upgrade to a 1.5 Ghz Palimino after downloading the newest BIOS from the MSI site. My machine is now Ready!! Water cooled (!!) 1.5 Ghz with 512 Mb ram, MSI Starforce 822 Gforce 3 w/64 Mb DDR ram. I dare any game to clog my framerate!

So.. let me see. $230 bucks for the new processor and 2nd stick o'ram. $265 for the video board. $140 for the watercooler. Do you guys think that is sufficient sacrificial moolah to line up the stars so that EB will give us all the call the morning of the 12th? I've done all I can do on my end!

*** resumes the BCM shipping mantra ***

For all the latest prices on all computer hardware check out www.pricewatch.com . Here are the links to for those 2 cards Geforce 3 Ti500 and Geforce 3 Ti500. Sorry the Geforce 3 Ti500 is not as cheap as i thought, i misread either the price or name of the card on pricewatch.

He is link to MSI's Nforce motherboard.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Game_Ender ]

Received:

1 GeForce 3 Ti200 by Gainward from Monarch Computer. Cost, including "Express Saver" 2-3 day FedEx: roughly USD$200. Hardware extras: TV-out. Software extras: 3Deep and some DVD stuff which I can't use (no DVD-ROM).

Guess what? All the games that ran glitchy under the Radeon worked instantly, no problems. W00T!

So, you see you can get decent parts at a good price if you don't mind sacrificing hardware extras and software bundles.

(OK, enough of this, I'm so pleased I just had to toot my horn )

Guest dnoyeB!

I liked the nForce at ~$150 but $180+ is too much. I mean, I always change video cards and MBs / processors at the same time. So I was in favor of the nforce. Usually there arent that many supported processors or the range is low enough that I end up getting the middle processor the MB will support. Thats how intel is. But its hard to step back 1 year in video technology even if nvidia seems faster than software developers.

Now it seems as if AMD is going to hang around with the socketA and voltage requirement and bus requirements for a while so this may change.

without further adu, I placed my order.

enlight case $47

Vantec Fan $23

Shuttle ak31a $81

TBird 850 $50

crucial 256MB $36

leadtek GF2Ti $125

Total $400.000000

All in all, im satisfied. I have a network card and sound card and DVD to recycle. Their technology is pretty stable, thank the Lord!

It hurt to buy the tbird 850 but i figure in 6 months I can get a tbird 133 for 50 which puts me at the same $100 it would cost me to buy it today but with 6 months of usage out of an 850.. and the GF2ti2, I had to cut costs best I could. Again, 6 months I have plenty of room to grow and pay off other debts.

Now I gotta figure what to do with the pentium 133 OCd to 150 that I am retiring Its a trusty computer and its only the 24MB ram thats holding it back. Its got 512Kb of Pipline burst RAM, hehe. it was the latest thing back then...

I like that nForce motherboard, but it only holds up to 1.5 GB of DDR RAM, and the one I was looking at (the Pro2) holds up to 3 GB. Also, more than one video card eats away at the system resources and makes 'em both slower, as was proved true on my system just a few minutes ago. I had an old old AGP card in there and my Voodoo 3 PCI card that I use, and I finally took out the old AGP one when I was trying to replace my motherboard (doesn't work; need a new case ). I went into the setup menu for Earth 2150, where you can set the resolution and bit depth and it tells you the FPS... Well, with the old card out I now get 130+ FPS on 800X600x16 and over 100 for 1024x768x16. That's a 40 FPS gain from what it was before.

So, getting back on track, my problem with the nForce motherboard is that if I ever wanted to upgrade the graphics for my comp without buying a whole new board the integrated one'd suck away at its resources.

Other than that, those cards look nice, really nice, but I'm strapped for cash already and I need to buy a whole new comp (it's already about $700 now with all the stuff I want for it...no need to add even more...yet ).

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Ancharon ]

Guest dnoyeB!

Well that was my point Ancharon. I usually replace processor MB and video cards all at the same time. So build in video doesent bother me. Just so long as NVIDIA gets to the point where they are releasing the latest video speed and technology in their MB. When that happens, they will kik azz. But they will likely be ~$300...

Ah, see, that's not at all what I do. I only upgrade the motherboard if I'm getting a whole new computer (usually). I'm doing it this time (getting everything at once) because everything in my current computer is basically worthless and not worth upgrading much more.

Also, another problem integrated graphics tend to have is that they share system memory. The nForce might not, so don't come and assassinate me in the night if it doesn't, but many integrated graphics set ups do this, thereby slowing down the entire system. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that I'm sticking to buying separate video cards and motherboards.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Ancharon ]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a Pentium IV, Geforce 3 with TV out (S Video) on a 36" Sony TV and the big difference is with all my games including the BCM demo 2, 640x480 looks great. 800x600, makes most of the text unreadable in most games, and somewhat unreadable in the BCM demo. Plus the screen size is reduced horizontally by about 10%. When using a TV 640x480 is the way to go. Games like Quake III & Star Trek Elite look incredible, and I don't really miss my monitor. TV is the only way to go in the bedroom anyway. There are a few games with unreadible text on 640x480 like Real War, had to intall that in the office. I thank the Supreme Commander for making the text so good at 640x480!