Force Feed Back

Guest dnoyeB!

Guest dnoyeB!

I understand "the force is not with us", but why does EB recommend a Force feedback joystick on the same page as the BCM preorder?? This implies to me its recommended for the BCM game..

quote:

Originally posted by Melcar:

Because EB just wants to sell more expensive stuff.

Besides that, force feedback sticks actually don't sell as well as standard controllers - the higher price point, and lack of good flight sims - scares people away.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Force Feedback joystick as I doubt it would pass the Fendi test (see past posts). I think I'll stick with the precision pro 2 for now.

I know that the Force Feedback won't last with me as I'm quite a heavy handed gamer. Not to mention the fact that a little girl who somehow knows how to open doors at barely 2 years old doesn't help much with any of my 'toys'.

quote:

Not to mention the fact that a little girl who somehow knows how to open doors at barely 2 years old doesn't help much with any of my 'toys'.

Man, Can I relate to that!! Except I have 2 now, and the 2nd is about to hit that age, so I will have to go through it all AGAIN!!! NNNOOOOO!!!

quote:

Originally posted by dnoyeB!:

I understand "the force is not with us", but why does EB recommend a Force feedback joystick on the same page as the BCM preorder?? This implies to me its recommended for the BCM game..

Nothing to do with anything. An FF enabled joystick works just like a regular joystick. The ad has nothing to do with BCM. Its called placement and someone paid them a lot of money to use my page.

Force Feedback is the bomb! It doesn't use the ordinary potentiometer setup. It's optical, so there are no pots to wear out.

Fendi, I'm heavy handed on a stick also, I doubt that you could break it. I have had mine for two years now and it still works like a brand new one.

Wolferz the bit that may break when I play a game using the joystick would most likely be the force feedback bit itself. But as my current joystick (Precision Pro 2) is going along quite fine, I might upgrade it to the Force Feedback version after Christmas if you think it will last.

Oh Jaguar you would have thought that me and my wife would've learnt our lesson but what are the chances of that eh? My wife now wants another baby. She really loves the punishment don't you think?

Hi Fendi,

It's pretty difficult to break the force feedback function of a FF stick. It's actually rare that the stick actually rips your hand to and fro (and you find yourself fighting the stick). Mostly you get subtle bumps, scrapes, rumbles...they are so subtle you can't really fight them, as you can't predict how/where they move you.

I've been using FF sticks since their inception and have yet to break one. The only way I can see it happening is if you drop it somewhere

I had one that did break by fall...ripped the cord out of the socket...although with a screwdriver and a little tape it was fixed(almost) good as new, just cant pull to hard on the cord...but not bad...I did break another one another way, by drinking overit...spilled soda everywhere down into it and everything...ruined it...but not really the stick's fault...either...

Wow... Force feedback sticks... Ive heard some of the more expensive ones can fly around the room like a decapitated chicken when its turned all the way up.. But my wingman extreme digital has served me well (its not FF but hey, we cant all be perfect..)

Hmmmm maybe I don't have to wait till after Christmas after all. All I have to do is hint to the missus for a nice Christmas present.

For god's sakes the woman wants me to teach her how to drive in my new Scooby. The least she could do is buy me a f/f joystick this year.

Hehe Gryphon you think it's "Cerys"(my daughter) proof too?

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

For those interested, Logitech is putting out the Wingman Force 3D stick for Christmas in the $50 range.

They're out now, so if you want cheap FF, this might be a good way to try it out.

As for me I like my MS Precision Pro USB. Maybe I'll get a FF stick when I wear this one out.

I own a Logitech Wingman FF stick and would have to say that I am happy with it. The force feedback settings can be altered or even shut off if the game that you are playing doesn't respond well to these effects. All in all I would say that it is a pretty durable stick and could not imagine it breaking in my hand. Now if they could only get the proper drivers to run under XP I would be a happy camper.

quote:

Hehe Gryphon you think it's "Cerys"(my daughter) proof too?

Aw man, I posted a big long post and screwed it up somehow. Sigh. Yes, like I said (and has been indicated) the only way to screw it up is to drop it or spill a liquid on it. You can be seriously rough with them and they'll be fine.

HAving tried Logitech and MS' latest offerings, I'd suggest the MS Force Feedback 2. It's plenty powerful and its transformer is built in - so there's no massive plug taking up outlet space and it gives the stick a very nice weight.

Well I've just given another 'hint' to my wife. I do hope she gives the f/f. The last thing I want is another pair of jeans as I've got tons of em.

Hope the force will be with me soon.....

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nothing to do with anything. An FF enabled joystick works just like a regular joystick. The ad has nothing to do with BCM. Its called placement and someone paid them a lot of money to use my page.

Thats cool. You know you can always tell the success of a TV show based on the commercials that play during it. Same thing.

I have a MS FF joystick, mark2 version that’s been out for about a year, like that was said before it now has the power pack built into the base which is neat. So far the only accident it has had was a drop to the floor by an angry wife, but thankfully all that happened was the thumb button flying out which popped right back in, other than that it is still fine. I am very happy with its performance, and it’s still a great joystick for any flight Sims, with force feedback or not.

The thing I like about the FF joysticks is when you dont use the FF feature, you can control who loose or stiff the joystick is... The tighter stick, the happier I am... I feel I have more accurate control on a tighter stick. I am using the FF 1 by MS (Evil Corporation)...

quote:

Originally posted by Kenada:

The thing I like about the FF joysticks is when you dont use the FF feature, you can control who loose or stiff the joystick is... The tighter stick, the happier I am... I feel I have more accurate control on a tighter stick. I am using the FF 1 by MS (Evil Corporation)...

The FF1 was REALLY good. I feel its FF strength is s stronger than that of the FF2. However, it isn't capable of the sort of subtle movements the FF2 is, so its a tradeoff. Also, the FF2's buttons are numbered which makes customizing it SOOOOOO much easier.

Logitech's WingMan Strike Force 3D is the competing stick...its not bad, has a nice look to it, but Logitech added a scroll wheel to it - like you find on mice. This is neat, in that it lets you scroll through your weapons list, for example. But its awkward to use, so you sometimes skip past what you wanted to use.