Thruster question.

Guest Croy

Hi, I am new to BC and just purchased BCM from my local EB.

One question. I notice that with full throttle it takes awhile to get your cruiser up to speed. But it can instantly stop when you pull back on the throttle.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any plans on making this a little more realistic? Or is this supposed to simulate the fact that every craft has a retro rocket capable of infinite force? Even if this were so you'd think the ship would tear itself apart trying to stop that fast. If there's a gameplay reason why this is so I'd like to hear it.

I would imagine the gameplay reason is that Newton is fun in a classroom, but not when you're playing a computer game. It simplifies things down, I mean, if I had to calculate at what point I'd have to decelerate so that I end up nearby a station rather than flattened against the station my brain would explode.

Here are some neat scenarios using a newtonian flight model:

-With the newtonian flight model you could just hold down the thrust key and eventually you will reach 99.999999999999% light speed.

-You could put a ship in tow and let it fly toward a station at near light speed, when it hits it would decimate the station.

-You could also fly through a sector so fast that you could launch missles and leave before they even scrambled fighters.

-Also if you go out of control and start spining in mulitple directions at once it get realy hard to stop.

-You could be going so fast the enemy only spots you on radar a split second before you are at weapons range.

quote:

Originally posted by Game_Ender:

Here are some neat scenarios using a newtonian flight model:

-With the newtonian flight model you could just hold down the thrust key and eventually you will reach 99.999999999999% light speed.

Nope. With Newtonian Physics you could go as fast as 500% of the light speed and even more if you wish

I'm not saying I want a true newtonian physics model. It has already been made clear by the SC that that concept is out. Maximum speeds are fine by me. I just think it would be a lot more realistic and enhance the gameplay if stopping wasn't so instantaneous. It's not like you have to do a lot of math to figure this out. It takes only a few seconds to get up to maximum so it should only take a few seconds to stop..but not 0.0000 seconds..that's just not right. SC: For the same reason that you decided it would be more realistic to make larger ships turn slower than smaller ships please look at this.

(Hector..you've never taken a physics class have you?)

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Thermidor ]

Actually this thread gives me the idea, that if SC wanted, he could enable traumatic stop damage, forcing the player to cut speed in increments and penalizing for retroburn stops above a certain speed. That's a item that'll probably go to the bottom of the pile, but just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermidor:

(Hector..you've never taken a physics class have you?)

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Thermidor ]

Thermidor, you don't know who you are talking to so why don't you try to be a little more respectful? It might save you some embarrasment in the future

Heh, have I ever taken a Physics class, this guy is funny

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Hector Socas Navarro ]

Thermidor, I think game_ender was talking about Einstein's relativistic physics, which madmen wouldn't dare to simulate in a game . Newton himself didn't say anything about the speed of light being some sort of limit- you can go as fast as you want without any sort of barrier or time-slowing relativistic effects according to him.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Sunanta ]

On a more ... "serious"? topic.

Is there any reason why you would NOT want to use afterburners? :-D I mean ... setting your throttle full and then slamming on the afterburners so it only takes a couple seconds to hit yer full speed rather than wait for your speed to increase "naturally" seems more effective.

Do afterburners ... well, have a negative side effect I'm not aware of? (take more energy/etc.?)

Steve

I agree that true realism regarding the flight dynamics would impair the gameplay. I'm in favor of "Star Wars" physics. However, you do not even in Star Wars see ships come to a complete and instantaneous stop from maximum speed.

You just have to live with, you like it or not.

I think it's not that big deal anyway.

If you don't like it, don't use it, your enemies will use it anyway

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

You just have to live with, you like it or not.

I think it's not that big deal anyway.

If you don't like it, don't use it, your enemies will use it anyway

Correct, BCM is about suspension of reality just like every other game. How hard is it to accept that in 3000+ AD ships can stop on a dime?