Thruster question.

Guest Croy

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Correct, BCM is about suspension of reality just like every other game. How hard is it to accept that in 3000+ AD ships can stop on a dime?

Good point. I guess it doesn't matter so much, however it does affect my dogfighting. I use the throttle wheel on my joystick and it's easy to accidentally come to a complete stop. It would be nice if you did not come to an instant stop unless your hit the number "0" key. Any opinions or workaround solutions?

Maybe you could tape or glue something to the throttle area of the base to prevent the lever to completely pull back. (Oh wait, you said you have a wheel ... well, then I guess you need to turn it into a lever. )

Ofcourse, you should do this after you have the throttle calibrated or else you will establish a new zero position at that setting. I know it's a messy way, but it is a workaround.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thermidor:

Good point. I guess it doesn't matter so much, however it does affect my dogfighting. I use the throttle wheel on my joystick and it's easy to accidentally come to a complete stop. It would be nice if you did not come to an instant stop unless your hit the number "0" key. Any opinions or workaround solutions?

Yup, turn the throttle off. Using the keyboard is much easier and doesn't provide for the very problem you're describing.

• 3 weeks later...

About such quick stops that seem so unrealistic: Star Trek's USS Enterprise countered the problems about G-Force from acceleration and decelartion by using a Structural Integrity Field, which maintains ship rigidity and monitors the gravitational effects within the ship to counter dangerous G-Forces.

So we could assume all ships in our universe have same device that permits such an abrupt stop.

Moreover, in a physics model (by Ken Olum continuing the work of Miguel Alcubierre) objects and signals (like radio signals or trasporter beam) do not need to actually travel faster than light. Rather the curvature of spacetime is such that one can arrive quickly at distant places using sub-light speed. In his work the space behind a starship is expanded and contracted in front of it. The ship would rest in a "warp bubble" between the two spacetime distrotions. The results of his theory would be a wave in spacetime along which the starship would travel almost surfing along the displacement wave. The idea allows for faster than light travel because the vehicle does not need to accelerate and so no relativistic effects would effect it, the ship will never attain high speeds. A very interesting side effect becomes that the vehicle and crew would be weightless as we have discussed the ship suffers no acceleration and given the principle of equivalence, acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable. Given that there is no acceleration and the risk of injury due to extreme G-forces of acceleration and deceleration no longer exists .

Well, this is what I could find on the subject. It is all real, even though theoretical.

See you in space

Expanding on the basic principles behind the "real world warp drive" the ability to travel "faster than light" (the quotes will become evident later) depends on the idea that the speed of light is the universal limit for objects within spacetime itself. However, we do not know how fast spacetime itself can travel.

Imagine a (2-dimensional) stick man drawn on an infinite piece of paper (a 2-dimensional universe). He cannot move, because he is a useless inanimate stick man. Now, cut a square of paper around the stick man, fold the piece of paper into a dart and throw it. The stick man is not moving in terms of his universe, but part of his universe has moved in relation to itself, so we have moved him faster than his theoretical maximum speed (zero because he is made of ink) without breaking the laws of his universe.

The trouble is, that we needed a presence in the higher-dimensional universe to enable the transaction. If we were the stick man, living on our infinite paper, the warp drive would be equivalent to inventing a pair of scissors and a means of providing an impulse, all in a dimension perpedicular to our entire universe. There is no way to prove that this is impossible, but on the other hand it is difficlut to prove that it can be done.

Bleurgh!

Smiley

What was it, "First Encounters" - Anyone play that game? There were no speed caps on that game. Haha.. a few times I had to calculate when to slow down myself and I didn't do it right and I was traveling at close to "c" and crashed right into a star before I even had a chance to react to it's sudden appearence out of nowhere...

Guest Grayfox

god... now my brain hurts... i just thought all my crew did the flinstone stop effect... i always wondered what all those portholes on the bottom of my ship were for...