Unconventional use of shuttles?

Guest suleo

quote:

Originally posted by Skeletun:

How bout that since the shuttle has a faster speed of almost all craft out there that the Shuttle is only capable of achieving the towed crafts maximum speed. Also shuttles would be unable to achieve escape velocity (orbit) while towing CC's.

This would mean that if your CC is that badly damaged you would either have to use a shuttle to retrieve spare parts or tow it to a starbase.

Kinda harsh but simple..I think

/me whacks 'im with a wet Salamander

What you trying to do? Make more work for me? What about my vacation?!?!

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

Noooooo! What about the new patch!?

hehe, I'll be around for the next three weeks. So, don't fret.

The testers have the 1.0.02 patch already and I just uploaded another version to them. We are currently researching that persistent damagefx issue and I simply cannot release the patch without it. So far, its proving to be elusive to reproduce. I don't want to have to release another patch, so, this one has to go into this update.

I have updated the VCF btw.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The testers have the 1.0.02 patch already and I just uploaded another version to them. We are currently researching that persistent damagefx issue and I simply cannot release the patch without it. So far, its proving to be elusive to reproduce. I don't want to have to release another patch, so, this one has to go into this update.

I have updated the
btw.

That's understandable and I'm really looking forward to some of those fixes. Oddly enough, I've seen that damage bug myself... but I can't figure out why it appears either. It happened within the first twenty minutes of playing the game after I installed it and it hasn't happened since (and that's with some pretty intensive playing). It's definetly strange.

Anyway, glad to hear things are coming along with the patch. Keep up the awesome work.

You call that shuttle thing a serious exploit? OK, here's another exploit for you.

Commander sees enemy supercarrier being towed at high speed by shuttle. The shuttle's shields are down (they're automatically lowered when the tractor beam is deployed). Commander launches interceptor at the shuttle. Interceptor destroys shuttle. End of exploit.

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

You call that shuttle thing a serious exploit? OK, here's another exploit for you.

Commander sees enemy supercarrier being towed at high speed by shuttle. The shuttle's shields are down (they're automatically lowered when the tractor beam is deployed). Commander launches interceptor at the shuttle. Interceptor destroys shuttle. End of exploit.

I'm not saying it's unbeatable or anything, just that it's an exploit that probably shouldn't be there.

I'm not so sure it's that serious. If I remember correctly, your CC shields have to be down as well to be towed correct? And the shuttle's definately do.

So if you use this method very often for anything other than dire need, sooner or later it's going to get you and your crew instantly killed. Eventually you're going to get towed right past a cloaked enemy that's going to rip through your shieldless hull in about five seconds flat.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Advil ]

Just some food for thought. Don't forget about inertia. True, you drop a 500lb weight on the moon it will drop slowly, but I will still break every bone in your foot if it lands on it.

In this, sure the shuttle can tow the CC, but, how well can it STOP it... heheh..

Just take the easy way out SC! Just say that the Tractor beam requires sheilds to be down because it uses some kind of sheild technology to seemingly reduce the objects mass to near 0. Therefore high speeds are possible. BUT, the system is very fragile... etc... one way to look at it. Since we threw physics out the window in the first place, let's just bend them some more!

quote:

Originally posted by Advil:

I'm not so sure it's that serious. If I remember correctly, your CC shields have to be down as well to be towed correct? And the shuttle's definately do.

So if you use this method very often for anything other than dire need, sooner or later it's going to get you and your crew instantly killed. Eventually you're going to get towed right past a cloaked enemy that's going to rip through your shieldless hull in about five seconds flat.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Advil ]

Exactly!!!