BCM 'gamer' Reviews

buckthesystem

http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/simula...roduct_1440.asp

looks like a detractor camp to me.

http://www.gamegenie.com/reviews/pc/bcm.shtml

Did this guy only play for 15 mins or something? (I know this one's been posted already, but I had to give my view on the review)

http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PC...cruiser_Millen/

a handy hub for reviews

http://www.gamingplanet.com/pc/review.cgi?ID=3693

go post your review

-RVS-

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The problem with those types of reviews is they can tainted by detractors posting rubbish. We've already been there and done that - and can't be bothered.

And whenever you see someone asking about an online manual, it means they have a pirated copy of the game.

Me, am still waiting for people to learn how to spell Millennium.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Me, am still waiting for people to learn how to spell Millennium.

LOL

Thats why I always say BCM I just can't spell it correctly no matter how hard I try. but back on topic all the reviews I have seen so far the review either has not played the game(sorry epic) for more than about 15 minutes or shows their ignorance for the features/planned devolopments for the title and that really annoys me when a reviewer does not do his research.

There, added some honest and POSITIVE comments about the game on those sites that I could...

And yes, I didn't give it 5s across the board...Most notably graphics. But, I'm not playing BC:M for graphics...so who cares? Not me Eyecandy might sell games to 15 year olds, but gameplay is what sells to me, and BC:M I think should get a 6 out of 5 in that...

quote:

Originally posted by Sunanta:

"...it should go like silk on a PII 300"

LOL! That's the
bare minimum
. Someone didn't read the system requirements...

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Sunanta ]

Well, I think he was more referring to the quality of the graphics. Although he was really just showing his ignorance if that was the case - there aren't a whole lot of games that look nearly as good as Battlecruiser Millennium that'll run on a Pentium 2-300mhz. As a matter of fact, you'd be hard-pressed to even get a "lower-end" game like Half-life to run on that kind of system with an adequete level of detail and fair frame rates. Not to mention that there seem to be a whole lot of objects on the screen from time to time and I'd imagine this has a lot to do with the moderately low polygon models.

Anyway, I can understand some of the gripes people have with the game. It's pretty complex and there is a steep learning curve. After defending BCM for almost an hour to a friend of mine I came to realize that a vast majority of gamers just want to relax and enjoy a game without spending an inordinate amount of time learning to play. There's really nothing wrong with that and I think that's the source of a good deal of complaints on pcgamerreview.com. A few people seem to be a little too focused on the lack of eye candy, though, and that's a bit upsetting.

I also don't agree with the reviewer who complained about the lack of "help" on this forum. My feelings about the helpfulness of the moderators or members in terms of gameplay issues aside, there isn't any statement on the box that says "Free and total use of an online message forum to answer all of your most insignificant gameplay questions included with every purchase!". About the only thing I'd say the average buyer is entitled to is some form of tech support, and I've seen technical issues responded to and dealt with pretty promptly.

Anyway, I posted my own (mostly positive) review of BCM on pcgamerreview.com.. so if you're exceptionally bored check it out .

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

Guest JohnMoo

Er, SC, I'd like an online manual, just because I didn't have a chance to buy the game yet.

Warez? Where? I even checked sites and such, no warez in sight. Either people don't play it a lot, or you did a good protection job. I'm betting on the latter.

(Note: rethorical warez question.)

EDIT: Yes I know that sites don't guarantee "good" warez, but if its not even mentioned on a site, then it's sure as hell not going to be on some skanky FTP.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: G E C K O ]

quote:

Originally posted by G E C K O:

Er, SC, I'd like an online manual, just because I didn't have a chance to buy the game yet.

Warez? Where? I even checked sites and such, no warez in sight. Either people don't play it a lot, or you did a good protection job. I'm betting on the latter.

(Note: rethorical warez question.)

EDIT: Yes I know that sites don't guarantee "good" warez, but if its not even mentioned on a site, then it's sure as hell not going to be on some skanky FTP.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: G E C K O ]

And if you don't own the game yet, why do you need a manual.

Anyway, its not happening. So siddown.

Guest JohnMoo

Why I want the manual? Because I get flinged "see p9999" at my head everytime I ask something.

I'd like to be able to PREPARE for getting this game, y'know? It took me some time to get through the BC3k one..

quote:

Why I want the manual? Because I get flinged "see p9999" at my head everytime I ask something.

I'd like to be able to PREPARE for getting this game, y'know? It took me some time to get through the BC3k one..

Honestly, I haven't seen many "see page x" comments when asking about features and such. And I can't imagine why you'd ask how to do something without the game. And besides, I haven't seen many games with online manuals... I'm not sure why people expect one.

Maybe this is kind of off-topic for this particular thread, but it doesn't seem worth starting a new one over...

Am I the only one who's really not looking forward to seeing major reviews of BCM? Almost every large site or popular magazine that reviews games doesn't put in enough time to really appreciate whatever it is they're reviewing (in most cases this means they give exceptionally high scores to games that get boring pretty quickly) and somehow I doubt anyone except a Battlecruiser series junkie is going to be immediatly impressed with BCM. Or even incredibly impressed after a few hours of play.

On top of that, a lot of the "big reviewers" take lots of points off of their overall score because of graphics. As a matter of fact, it usually seems to me that reviewers take a "well, I didn't bother playing much since this game is barely worth my time" attitude if the graphics and eye candy don't completely blow them away from the second they start playing. Anyway, I just hope that negative or semi-negative reviews on major sites or in big magazines don't scare too many people away.

Also, has anyone else noticed that almost every even slightly positive review on PC Gamer Review has been rated incredibly low while the (sometimes unintelligible) reviews bashing the game are rated pretty high? Seemed kind of odd to me. Oh, well.. I'm done ranting. Sorry about that.

Guest JohnMoo

Is it just me or has everyone difficulty with reading/understanding?

I CAN'T buy the game currently. And YES, I would like to learn how to play a game, before I get the game. It's not that hard to get. A PDF file would be nice, but if everyone here is panicking "OMG NO, WAREZ, WE R SAVUIORZ OF TEH ERTH", then bleh.

Whatever.

quote:

Is it just me or has everyone difficulty with reading/understanding?

I CAN'T buy the game currently. And YES, I would like to learn how to play a game, before I get the game. It's not that hard to get. A PDF file would be nice, but if everyone here is panicking "OMG NO, WAREZ, WE R SAVUIORZ OF TEH ERTH", then bleh.

Whatever.

Yeah. Its you. You have a difficulty understanding what we're saying ----->NO!!

See? Thats understood universally I believe. Even in Mooville I hope.

Guest JohnMoo

I know you're not going to release the manual because there aren't enough people without a copy by now. But that's not the point. If you just jump in a thread, say what you feel like without even looking at it, then sorry, but thats just idiotic. I wasn't talking about the SC, about whateverhisnameis. Ah well. nevermind.

Hmm, this whole "online manual" discussion looks kind of senseless to me: if you want to prepare for BCM, download the free BC3K v2.09. It even contains a *gasp* online manual.

Play it until you know it inside out. Then play it some more. After that, play it somewhat more.

Then try the BCM demo(s). Play them, until you know them inside out. Then play it some more...

And guess what: if you happen to find a warez copy of BCM after that (which would be unpatchable, and would not allow any MP), and you are still not willing to actually pay for the game, just play it. You do not need any more manual by then. You wouldn't even deserve to play the game, btw.

Oh, and by that time, we will all be happily playing BCM multiplayer...

Best regards.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Siemens:

Oh, and by that time, we will all be
happily
playing BCM multiplayer...

Happily? There would be a high percentage of divorced or seperated BCM'ers by then where the spouse is ticked off for not paying them enough attention.

quote:

I know you're not going to release the manual because there aren't enough people without a copy by now. But that's not the point. If you just jump in a thread, say what you feel like without even looking at it, then sorry, but thats just idiotic. I wasn't talking about the SC, about whateverhisnameis. Ah well. nevermind.

Love and kisses. Goodbye