Missile Fire Control

Any chance of having a fire control for missiles?

Kind of an option in the orders menu saying "weapons free" to give the AI permission to fire missiles or not.

In many battles the CC and FC's shoot off their missiles in small skirmishes that would hardly require their use, and when the BIG furball erupts, they're out of them. stores depleted thanks to their trigger happiness. I wish there was a torture chamber in the ship.. i'd assign them there 24/7 grr.

Would also be nice to have a "Missile Attack" option...make the fighter fire off as many missiles as it can at a certain target.

Some time ago I suggested to show the craft's shield and armour as either visible bar dars or a % counter right beside the icons on the right of the screen, to allow players to keep track of all the craft's status without having to mouseover to see their stats (you could be looking at FC1 while FC4 gets clobbered). I believe you added it to the list of things to go into bc3020 back then. I still believe its a good thing to have.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

You could remove the missiles from the CC loadout until you needed them. I don't think the CO automatically reloads missiles from your stores.

The HJ transit time should be plenty of time to reload your missiles, if need be. So unless they decloak right next to you, with your HJ engines offline, you should be able to load your missiles when you need them.

Tedious but effective, yes Badgerius. I think Tac's idea is pretty good, especially since fighters take a while to recharge/rearm, and cannot be launched until ready. Because, while you can just simply reload your CC, you cannot reload FCs in flight...

As to the "missile attack"...try the FATAL system

"You could remove the missiles from the CC loadout until you needed them. I don't think the CO automatically reloads missiles from your stores"

Yes they are reloaded automatically thanks to that blockheaded officer that countercommands my orders. Im hoping to kill him and clone him into a vegetable state. Maybe then he'll learn to follow orders.

FATAL does the missile attack thing im talking , but only for the CC. Fighters would greatly benefit from it. I should've specified that was for fighters. My bad. Edited 1st post.

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

[QBFATAL does the missile attack thing im talking , but only for the CC. Fighters would greatly benefit from it. I should've specified that was for fighters. My bad. Edited 1st post.[/QB]

No.

FCs operate under the AI of the pilot. So, you can't tell them when to fire and when not to. It is entirely up to their AI and skills.

quote:

FCs operate under the AI of the pilot. So, you can't tell them when to fire and when not to

Afterall If I were the Fighter Pilot I'm not going to be worrying about the big fight that MAY come later. I would use any and ALL means of insuring I come out of the one I'm in. You can be just as dead in the little fight as you can be in the big one.

Help! My pilots are morons and can't get up!

Guess no more missiles for them OR the CC until they learn more. I wasted a million creds on missiles..and those bozos fired them all off. I hate them very much.

*pant*

I feel better now. NEXT!

quote:

Help! My pilots are morons and can't get up!

Guess no more missiles for them OR the CC until they learn more. I wasted a million creds on missiles..and those bozos fired them all off. I hate them very much.

*pant*

I feel better now. NEXT!

Tac, Tac, Tac

simply remove all missiles from the FCs when you launch. Your pilots will be forced to use guns. Get used to it, and forget what missiles are.

Once their AI is up, start arming their fighters again. At a higher enough level, they will use missiles sparingly and only when they have a very high probability of a hit and if they are in grave danger.

You know, those skill attributes aren't there for show...though the pilots would like to think so.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

already done chief. Now they're staring at the flashlights on the nose of their fighters wondering what the heck they're for.

We really need to up pilot quality, the academy is letting too many potheads into the corps. Heck, they see one hostile sf marine half a sector away and they start screaming "inbound! inbound!" , I tell them to shut up, they keep at it. Im gonna alter their gene sequence in the next cloning so their vocal chords make contact with their sphynchxter.

And I got a grey hair now. My RE's AI is going down from dating those high school rejects. Heck, even Resnig thinks they're better off dead.

and those intruders keep throwing a pack of nudie poker cards at my marines, stealing my PAD artifact and blowing up my cargo bays.

I got the BC:M Blues...

I am having the opposite problem. I want my FC to come back without ANY missles with them, they seem to be saving them all the time. As for FATAL, I put 8 missles as fatal on some target, they all get launched and maybe 20% of the time less than half will hit. Their tracking sucks.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

I am having the opposite problem. I want my FC to come back without ANY missles with them, they seem to be saving them all the time. As for FATAL, I put 8 missles as fatal on some target, they all get launched and maybe 20% of the time less than half will hit. Their tracking sucks.

1. heh

2. Its not the tracking. The target is not stupid you know. Think an NPC is just going sit around waiting for an inbound? FATAL is a delivery system and has NO effect on the missile characteristics.

Yes, besides, have you seen how effective your ECM is? The moment they launch it, you leave the ECM on for 5 seconds, that missile will never hit you (you do have to manouver out of the way, but when you're in combat, that happens anyway).

Derek, I got a few questions about the missiles, figure this is as good a post to put them in

1) The CTL tracking logic of missiles like the Analog. The BC3K (old) appendix says the missile does not loose lock as long as the ship that fires it keeps a lock. Does this mean I have to keep the target inside the circle or does it still track as long as the lock diamond stays with the target?. Also, does this mean that its the ship that guides the missile into the target, sort of like today's laser guided bombs? This opens a few options for fighters

2) I have noticed a lot of missiles "bouncing" off ships and being kicked dozens, sometimes a hundred kliks away from the target they bounced out of when im in TacOps. Reminds me of when the CC bounces off a station and gets kicked backwards. They are not impacting because the target receives no damage and the missile's "armour" is untouched.Thought you might want to know.

3) Price of Mines: Isn't the price of mines a tad too high? For their very limited use and limited firepower and time of duration, mines cost nearly 3 times as much as the priciest missile. I would love to put up minefields on gates or even around my own ship when im repairing, but the price is prohibitive. 2500 for a crab and 3400 for a Leech mine would be a more suitable price, as mines are only effective when used in groups.

4) Non-missile related: On the Nightstar carrier, appendix says it has 8 turrets. For the life of me, i've gone around the critter and only see 6. 4 on the bottom of the ship and 2 on the top.. where's the other 2?

And finally, I've noticed that models have "doors" for the launch bays. You still planning to let us open/close them and land the ships manually as an option? Just the thought of having to fly my ship over GHQ , requesting landing clearance, getting it "You are cleared to land in Pad 4", finding Pad 4, match speeds and attittude, flip to VTOL, lower landing gear (maybe in space the letter "g" would allow you to just lower the gear?) and softly put her down, when ship makes contact, it adheres just like the space marine boots and then shutting down engine to have the station take me in... woot! Not to mention having to fly straight or still for fighters/shuttles to dock... would add exponentially to the "realism"

Darnit, im rambling again.

quote:

already done chief. Now they're staring at the flashlights on the nose of their fighters wondering what the heck they're for.

We really need to up pilot quality, the academy is letting too many potheads into the corps. Heck, they see one hostile sf marine half a sector away and they start screaming "inbound! inbound!" , I tell them to shut up, they keep at it. Im gonna alter their gene sequence in the next cloning so their vocal chords make contact with their sphynchxter.

And I got a grey hair now. My RE's AI is going down from dating those high school rejects. Heck, even Resnig thinks they're better off dead.

and those intruders keep throwing a pack of nudie poker cards at my marines, stealing my PAD artifact and blowing up my cargo bays.

I got the BC:M Blues...

This is the funniest post I've read in a long time...

Nice!!

1. Read the docs

2. Rubbish

3. No

4. The appendix is correct. If you really want to know (instead of asking someone else), load up the model in BCS and go to the tag list and count 'em. There's 8

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Poll: Anyone else having their missiles "warp" thousands of kliks away?

I shoot missiles manually, I see my AI controlled CC fire missiles, my fighters fire missiles, and many times the missiles just WARP to some point in space far, far away from the battle. Just now I manually fired off a volley of 10 RALIX missiles at a Warmonger that had exited hyperspace at 8 kliks away from me... saw the missiles fly to it and then WHAM they went behind me on the radar and their range indicators to target said they were 4500+ kliks from the Warmonger.

Checked TacOps, the missiles had gone thousands of kliks behind my ship and were burning towards the target.

Im trying like hell to make it be reproducable, but haven't figured a way to make it happen when I want to.

So, if this happens to you, let me know, misery is best when shared

Just a thought, but which missile loadouts are people choosing?

From the appendix, only the Intercept loadout is 100% STS missiles. If a fighter was launched into a space battle with a Strike or SEAD loadout, then presumably the AI pilots will not launch as they have only atmospheric (ATA/ATS) missiles? Please feel free to tell me if this is true or not.

If it is, then this might solve Tac's problem, and be the cause of Soback's? I know I have been losing less fighters in space furballs since I RTFM and now only lauch with Intercept. Tac could use SEAD loadout in space and Intercept loadout on planets, and his pilots should never fire.

quote:

Poll: Anyone else having their missiles "warp" thousands of kliks away?

This happens when the EMD system is activated; either by the player or the target.

Not a bug IMO, just one of those undocumented features Tac

TTFN

"This happens when the EMD system is activated"

Lol gallion. That must be it So it also happens to you? Heehee. I feel so much better now.

Ill try the EMD thing, I know I didnt have MY emd activated (and you cant lock on targets if your emd is on anyway). Time to "invest" more money into missiles to have me fighters shoot at me CC to try that hehe.

Smiley: I use custom loadouts. First thing I do is sell all my missiles and buy me 120 questors and 120 Ralix missiles. I turn off the autoarm option for the fighters and load the missiles into the FC's manually. I am well aware of the default missile loadouts.

SC: No, I was actually at a standstill waiting for the ship to emerge from hyperspace. When I fired them I saw the entire string of missiles fly foward, their range to target indicators got to within 1 klik of target and zzzziip! it became 4000 kliks. I had to go in and gun the warmonger down.

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

This happens when the
EMD
system is activated; either by the player or the target.

Not a bug IMO, just one of those
undocumented
features Tac

TTFN

There's nothing undocumented about it. You have an EMD. So do they. Thats what the EMD indicator in the CVD/VID mode is for. You can always tell when they're jamming too.