Tactics for dealing with Intruders

Mitchell

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Wow. I've never seen that. I'd stopped posting marines in shuttles, because I've lost marines after intruders had launched with them. Perscan showed that the Marines lived, too. But that was all BC3k.

Now, I've noticed that sometimes I can see the intruders locations in perscan, and sometimes I can just see the number of intruders. Is this based on intruder AI, or is an officer's AI that's to blame?

Perscan may not be adjusting properly, try dragging the end of log bar down.

SC wrote:

quote:

I might finally add that option to XP1. This way, you can send marines to search a particular deck. It requires a major code change and thats why I never even considered tackling it. Ack!

That would indeed be cool, and appreciated (like I'll need another excuse to buy XP1 anyway...), especially if it means we can assign our crew from PerScan or something without having to switch to Tactical all the time...

About the XP1 intruder use of transporters ... you can always turn transporters off, too! (in fact, I keep mine off unless I'm using them ... I thought I read somewhere that intruders could use transporters to leave your ship -currently-. It's on page 60 of the manual, in fact, where it says they can "beam off").

Any way to check to see if your Marines are geared up and ready to go? And if not, does setting them to prep to combat when they're already prepped for combat eat another combat kit?

I also wish marines were a little more responsive when you tell them to run ... sometimes they'll run when you tell them, and sometimes they'll let themselves get creamed :-( A most memorable occasion was where all my marines ran as ordered ... except one. FEH! Died in about 2 seconds. For people so stupid, they're sure expensive to replace :-)

Ok, I can't seem to stop myself. I've been telling myself, over, and over: "Wishlist items will get you court-martialed or killed" But I can't get the idea out of my head, so I'm going to write it down. Here. Now.

*Looks around to make sure the SC isn't looking*

It would be cool if (Oh I am soooo Dead! ) the race of the intruders was listed in Perscan. That way, you would have some idea where they came from.

*Turns and runs like hell*

Steve wrote:

quote:

Any way to check to see if your Marines are geared up and ready to go? And if not, does setting them to prep to combat when they're already prepped for combat eat another combat kit?

You can see the details of every crew member's inventory from the "Crew" section of the Tactical computer. there's a little arrow next to the "Assignment" tab that cycles to "Location" and then to "Inventory". See pps 40-41 of the manual for details.

I'm not sure about the consumption of Combat Kits - easy to find out, though!

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Mitchell ]

In that case, I'll just consider myself lucky that none of the intruders damaged anything. I guess my 40 marines were too much for them.

Once I had to personally fend off an intruder who found his way to the bridge. I had to do some serious medibay time for that one.

quote:

might finally add that option to XP1. This way, you can send marines to search a particular deck. It requires a major code change and thats why I never even considered tackling it. Ack!

This would be a wonderful feature, and definately one I'd like to see. You have my support!

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

How's this for a crazy intruder story?

My ship is TOTALLY crippled. I'm basically waiting to die as I figure out how to do the self destruct, thumbing through the manual.

I mean, TOTALLY crippled. The only reason my ship isn't destroyed is because I had the titanium V armour upgrade; my reactor's dead, every system's dead, life support is gone, everyone on the ship is slowly suffocating. I've got it on PERSCAN, watching the life leach from my men ... I can't even ALT-E or CTRL-E out of the ship, that's how bad things are.

And while the bad guys watch me die (... it's been like, 5 minutes now. Can't they finish the job?! >:-) ) ... what do I hear? "WE HAVE INTRUDERS ON BOARD!" LOL!! Stupid intruders. Now I'm watching -them- slowly suffocate on my ship without life support. Not a good day to be an intruder! They can't even leave the cargo bay they beamed into because it was destroyed.

So .... while my crew scambles for the medibay and the galley (? To get a last snack?! Seriously, about 75% of the crew went ot the galley, and the rest went to the medibay), the intruders who knowingly beamed on a dead ship, are slowly suffocating to death trapped in the cargo bay.

NOT a good day to be an intruder. :-)

Steve

Time for my stupid marine story...

A bunch of intruders boarded my ship, and as per usual, eventually made their way down to the shuttle bay. Well, as they were heading down, several of my marines decided to search the sub-deck. The marines all head into the fighter bay, the intruders make a beeline for the shuttle bay -while- the marines are in the fighter bay. Then, the marines get out, and head UP to deck three.

This is when I issued a direct order for several marines to go into a specific shuttle.

I mean, what are these guys? Imperial Storm troopers?? Geeeez.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Conley:

So .... while my crew scambles for the medibay and the galley (? To get a last snack?! Seriously, about 75% of the crew went ot the galley, and the rest went to the medibay), Steve

In such conditions as you describe, they will go wherever the life support system is working. So, if the one that covers the galley is working, thats where they'll go.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Erm... a question... if you can know where the intruders are (using perscan)... why can't the marine use that system too...? or get directions by the combat officer who probably have access to that system? (dispatcher anyone?)

Yeah, if only everything was as simple. You don't even know how Perscan (let alone Tactical) works, so I don't have a clue where you got the idea from that the info is the same.

Damn non-programmers. Always think they have the answer to everything. Just play the damn game and let me worry about the design and programming.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Erm... a question... if you can know where the intruders are (using perscan)... why can't the marine use that system too...? or get directions by the combat officer who probably have access to that system? (dispatcher anyone?)

That would take thought, and Marines aren't paid to think! :-D

Even though since they're like, much more expensive than medics, you'd think they were! :-D

Steve

quote:

That would take thought, and Marines aren't paid to think! :-D

Even though since they're like, much more expensive than medics, you'd think they were! :-D

Steve

But Resnig is The horror of the thought

TTFN

quote:

How's this for a crazy intruder story?

while my crew scambles for the medibay and the galley (? To get a last snack?! Seriously, about 75% of the crew went ot the galley

Maybe they thought beating themselves to death with kitchen utensils was preferable to suffocating?