Question on repairs...

Simparadox

Alright, I've just run into a kind of odd situation. For the first time since I've started playing I've actually found myself in the situation of having my ship crippled. Don't feel bad for me, though, because this is definetly a good thing. Most of the time I just get blown away outright .

Anyway, I was tangling with two insurgent ships near Saturn while my fighters kept theirs away. I destroyed the first one pretty easily, but by then the second one was bearing down on me and about the only thing I could do was turn in and go head to head with him. Turns out that wasn't so smart, even though watching two massive ships heading straight for eachother with weapons blazing was an awesome sight. When all was said and done I came out on top, but just barely. Every system aboard my ship was basically down, except (Woohoo!) my engines. Since I had a good deal of cash from mining I figured everything would be okay, so I jumped to the nearest space station.

Once I got there I started buying replacement parts. My first priorities were the computers and life support system, but once I bought a shiny new mainframe to replace my old one I found that I didn't even have the option to replace it. I had similiar trouble with the life support and a few other systems. Is there something I'm missing here? This is the first time I've ever had any trouble doing repairs and I'm not sure what the problem is. I've gone through the manual a few (more) times, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason why I can't get my systems online.

What am I missing?

Well...for one thing. Sell back all your pieces and parts. Repairs are free if you are military, and you don't have the spare part...(unless that's a small bug)...

Anyway, as to the replacements, every once in a while, for some reason I can't replace systems either. Undock, re-dock. Try again It could also be something with neutral bases vs friendly bases. Or alternately, buy the part, and have them start work AFTER you undock. Remember, starbases do NOT repair systems faster, so once you've got your parts, leave...If you can do so under your own power, of course.

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

Well...for one thing. Sell back all your pieces and parts. Repairs are free if you are military, and you don't have the spare part...(unless that's a small bug)...

That's what I figured and that's generally what I've been doing up until this point, but when I couldn't repair any of my systems at all I thought maybe I was wrong. Oh, well. I guess I'll just try re-docking a few more times.

Since I haven't got BCM yet my suggestion is highly speculation. I just checked upon the BC3K BC damage appendix and it says this:

quote:

ENGINEERING

This is the heart of the ship's operation. From this facility, critical systems such as

weapons, cloak, engines, reactors etc. are all monitored and maintained. Repairs orders

and power management procedures are also carried out from this location. If this part of

the ship is damaged, it hampers the tasks of the system engineers. This usually results in

longer repair and replacement times due to loss of equipment, injuries etc.
If this location is

extremely damaged, it could cause all repair and other critical operations to come to

grinding halt.

Affected Personnel and systems at this location

A good chance SC didn't change this code. But check your bcm manual to be safe.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]