EB an da rig

Gamesniped

Guest Melanie650

I've seen a 800 MHZ Celeron. Try bringing it to a Major Computer Retailer that also does upgrades. They can usually tell you which is the fastest chip a Celeron has. Also if you wanna do a serious upgrade. Go get one that can use a Intel Pentium 4 and buy yourself some RDRAM and 2 GHZ chip. Hmm chances are if you got a 500 mhz, you probably have a dated card as well. Go pick up a GeForce3 Ti500 while your at it.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]

Guest Melanie650

If you upgrade to a Pentium 4, yes you have to change the motherboard. If your upgrading to a faster celeron, I think you can use the same board.

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

If you upgrade to a Pentium 4, yes you have to change the motherboard. If your upgrading to a faster celeron, I think you can use the same board.

This definetly isn't always the case. As a matter of fact, with a 500mhz Celeron you may be near the upper range for your motherboard. Don't run out and buy a new cpu until you know for sure. Do you know what kind of motherboard is in your computer now? If you do, look up some information on it and find the fastest speed cpu it can handle. If you can't got much higher then it's probably better to upgrade your motherboard than just take a 100mhz or so increase.

Also, what kind of video card are you using? If you're using something fairly old you'll definetly want a new one.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in the general discussion forum instead of here?

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gamesniped:

I have a ATI Radeon32SDR PCI.

Hmm... you might want to consider an upgrade, although I can't say for sure you'll have problems. My old Radeon 64mb DDR (that I had before I got my GeForce3 that I had before I got my Radeon 8500 ) generally worked pretty good, but BCM even chokes up my newer cards sometimes.

quote:

ya I guess this really doesn't belong in this forum:/

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd imagine if SC didn't like it here he'd move it...

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

Celerons curently go up to 1.1ghz. 1.1ghz to 533mhz are FCPGA, 533mhz-down are PPGA(533mhz have both versions). You have to find out about your motherboard, if it accepts FCPGA is upgradable to 1.1Ghz... if its PPGA its upgradable to 533mhz.. like my old box...

Edit: I would go with a athlon though for a totaly new rig.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Jigoku San ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jigoku San:

Celerons curently go up to 1.1ghz. 1.1ghz to 533mhz are FCPGA, 533mhz-down are PPGA(533mhz have both versions). You have to find out about your motherboard, if it accepts FCPGA is upgradable to 1.1Ghz... if its PPGA its upgradable to 533mhz.. like my old box...

Edit: I would go with a athlon though for a totaly new rig.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Jigoku San ]

Or a Pentium 4, or even a Pentium 3 depending on how much you're willing to pay. Definetly don't get another Celeron if you're building/buying a completely new computer, though. If you're short on cash a Duron (or an Athlon, they're fairly cheap) is definetly a better choice.