Ordered my shuttle to return, yet it couldnt lift off!

JAY

Right, I went down to he surface of a moon, landed the beast and decided to play a little and I sent a shuttle out.

Due to me being zero altitude the shuttle went along the ground more like a buggy. I played with it a little then asked it to RTB. It hit retros and went away from me..VERY away from me. I stopped it.

I then went into orbit with my CC, then tried again.. I ordered the shuttle to RTB. So off it went in one direction yet never being able to lift off from ground level.. what did I do wrong ?

I've noticed this too...the shuttle skims along the surface of the planet at high speed, aimed in one direction but moving in another (sometimes), and despite RTB orders it keeps going. The only thing that works is HALT. I haven't tried giving it new waypoints though.

The only thing I do when that happens is order it to HALT and send out another shuttle to tow that one back to the ship.

Ahhh I also experienced this..especialy when launching shttles from command craft while on the surface of a planet. I have found higher AI cuts down on it...when it does happen..I found it best to just send shuttle to tow it in..and I normaly take the pilot off duty and assign a smarter one..most times this works...I just toss it up to some times things dont allways go as planed..and you just have to work around minor set backs the best you can.

The AI of the pilot definitely affects shuttle performance.

I had a marine with AI:5 who I assigned to shuttle pilot duty (I thought this might get it a bit higher). He was completely useless.

I sent him to retrieve a mining drone. He managed to smash into the ground several times, and ended up circling the drone in a very limp and sad way. Eventually I put one of my fighter pilots (AI:24) into another shuttle and sent it to retrieve the drone. The shuttle just zoomed on in and picked up the drone on a flyby! I bet that made the marine cry!

Since the marine was now jobless, he attempted to return to the CC. Now he might have the excuse that the ship was damaged (although that was his fault!) but he couldn't actually breach the atmosphere. So to complete his humiliation I had him towed back to the CC. Hopefully Resnig gave him a roasting, because the shuttle took half-an-hour to repair, and all he'd managed to achieve was irritating his commander who had to sort out his mess for him.

Made me laugh though, so I didn't beam him into space!

So is it the Gravity or the AI that’s stopping this shuttle from getting off the ground, Still don’t explain the reason when my CC was on ground level and the shuttle still went in the opposite direction! surely Gravity does not alter the navigation of a shuttle .... I expect it’s the AI then of the pilot...Marines (Grunts) I doubt are less efficient piloting shuttles I guess.

Is it only possible to actually guide the Commander in 1st person...understanding he’s your counterpart character in the game, I guess he will be the only one available to use with hands on direct control? Its just as it has been stated before he’s NO.1 priority safety wise he must not even get his shiny buttons scratched else GAME OVER MAN.