SC, can you express your views on the subject of TIME.

JAY

Reading either in the manual or within some other document, I came across the subject of game time outside the Station continuing regardless of what the player is doing. Now, I have noticed a post from you saying that it now stops while the player is docked, and you decided to leave it like this.

Does time stop in any other situation during play, or is it when you only dock at a station ?, and what reasoning made you stay by that decision ? - (just out of interest)

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by ooJAYoo:

Reading either in the manual or within some other document, I came across the subject of game time outside the Station continuing regardless of what the player is doing.

What roll of toilet paper was that written on?

quote:

Originally posted by Hector Socas Navarro:

Removing your ability to stop the time will be necessary in multiplayer for obvious reasons.

LOL...I can see it now: Intense fire fight and all play stops. Over the comms you hear "GCV-Hare Raiser has docked at Aleri, game play will resume shortly."

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

LOL...I can see it now: Intense fire fight and all play stops. Over the comms you hear "GCV-Hare Raiser has docked at Aleri, game play will resume shortly."

LOL!! Yep

But you know whats going to be funny? When some idiots are parked at a station, sitting there, chatting, waiting for repairs, trading etc

....and then a pack of goons show up with a volley of Vagrants.

Anyway, in mp, time won't ever stop. In fact, right now, the only time it will stop is when you dock.

In mp when you dock at a station, after you have logged in, you will have access to all external views from the station, including a Tacops type view. None of which will have any icons other than the various login/logout options.

So, while parked there and doing what it is you are doing, you can still be surveying the space region. And if some bad guys pop in and you know the station is going to get hit, you can launch and get the hell outta there.

Besides, I may (emphasis on may because this is an item in my XP 1 design doc which I doubt will go into BCM mp patch) allow access to the station's turrets (similar to the ship turret access in BC3K) so that anyone at the station can jump to and unmanned turret and man it. Once you do that, the AI will relinquish control. This way, if you are sure you can do a better job, well, have at it.

I will also be significantly reducing the repair times at stations and on board your ship as well, by making the engineers n times faster. My plan is to have the longest repair time not take more than 30-45 mins at a station. ack!

quote:

Originally posted by Stroman:

Manual, p 63, last paragraph

That actually refers to the game time. Because once you launch and the time is accelerated and updated, if there were inbound missiles which would otherwise destroy the station, it could be destroyed as soon as you launch. And the fragments could destroy your ship. I've had it happen to me.

So, time doesn't really stop per se, its just not updated frequently when you are docked, but it is being updated. You can even try this by just docking and sitting in Logistix and checking the time.

There are several timers in BCM. The two important onces are the AI tick and the frame tick. The latter is the one that is stopped when you dock.

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

After the MP patch, will time continue when you are docked in SP?

It depends on how I implement it. That was the original plan. But I haven't looked at that code in a while, so I can't say for sure if it will be supported in sp or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

LOL!! Yep

But you know whats going to be funny? When some idiots are parked at a station, sitting there, chatting, waiting for repairs, trading etc

....and then a pack of goons show up with a volley of Vagrants.

Anyway, in mp, time won't ever stop. In fact, right now, the only time it will stop is when you dock.

In mp when you dock at a station, after you have logged in, you will have access to all external views from the station, including a Tacops type view. None of which will have any icons other than the various login/logout options.

So, while parked there and doing what it is you are doing, you can still be surveying the space region. And if some bad guys pop in and you know the station is going to get hit, you can launch and get the hell outta there.

Besides, I may (emphasis on
may
because this is an item in my XP 1 design doc which I doubt will go into BCM mp patch) allow access to the station's turrets (similar to the ship turret access in BC3K) so that anyone at the station can jump to and unmanned turret and man it. Once you do that, the AI will relinquish control. This way, if you are sure you can do a better job, well, have at it.

I will also be significantly reducing the repair times at stations and on board your ship as well, by making the engineers n times faster. My plan is to have the longest repair time not take more than 30-45 mins at a station. ack!

Knock that off, having to explain a drool soaked keyboard is not an easy thing to do!

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

Wonderful, stations give a boost in repair times! Put em grease monkeys to work

What are the plans on manual docking Chief? I see a lot of launch bay doors in stations and ships... just thinking of having my fighters landing and launching on my nightsar using the runways.. *drool*. Not to mention having to stay level flight or stop so that they can dock... pump the pucker factor.

Hey, hurry up with the MP patch, my bday is this 8th, gimme a good present

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Only in mulitplayer right, or will repairs take a lot shorter time in sp too? Right now I average on about 1 min on system that is lightly damaged, 5 mins half damaged and 10 mins completly destroyed. I wouldn't like the feel in sp if I could completly redo a destroyed system in 3 minutes, if it's destroyed, gotta pay the price, so for sp that wouldn't be a +. But for mp that's great, 30 minutes is a reasonable ammount of time to overhaul your ship.

Rather than have engineers faster, would it not be possible to have the station's ten engineers added to your own, so that if you already have 10 you get twenty?

I speak from having just spent a very enjoyable (from a hard-core gaming point of view) few hours nursing my knackered NightStar back home after barely winning a big fight.

In a less well thought out game, I would have simply turned on my infinite charge cloaking device, and had all systems repaired automatically (actually there would probably just be a single damage meter) in about three minutes.

IMHO, his kind of no-holds-barred lack of handholding is what makes BCM so great compared to lesser games. To tell the truth, the first time I noticed the fact that ships don't go away when you dock I was quite surprised - I was fully expecting to have the station blown up around me, and serve me right for being a coward!

Just my $0.02. Please don't feel I'm telling you how to make the game, as I know that ticks you off.

Cheers,

Smiley

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

What are the plans on manual docking Chief? I see a lot of launch bay doors in stations and ships... just thinking of having my fighters landing and launching on my nightsar using the runways.. *drool*. Not to mention having to stay level flight or stop so that they can dock... pump the pucker factor.

Hey, hurry up with the MP patch, my bday is this 8th, gimme a good present

Not sure am gonna put in manual docking Tac. Even though all the station models have support for it (check out all the SSTAT*.* models in BCS), I don't think it would be worth my time. Its too much work for too little reward - because then its just another option that most won't use. Why bother when I have two add-ons and a highly complex mp patch (currently WIP) to finish? If I have time, I might put it in XP1, but don't count on it.

As for the mp patch, you did see my post elsewhere about it right?

quote:

Originally posted by SmileyMan:

Rather than have engineers faster, would it not be possible to have the station's ten engineers added to your own, so that if you already have 10 you get twenty?

No. Siddown. Who said this was a thread for wishlists?

"Not sure am gonna put in manual docking Tac. Even though all the station models have support for it (check out all the SSTAT*.* models in BCS), I don't think it would be worth my time. Its too much work for too little reward - because then its just another option that most won't use."

Aye. I do hope its added as a toggable option for the server admins. Just to think about it makes me jumpy. It would really rule . Hey wait a minute.. you said station models.. that means the carriers and cruisers dont?

"Why bother when I have two add-ons and a highly complex mp patch (currently WIP) to finish? If I have time, I might put it in XP1, but don't count on it."

Can't ask for more. At least I know its possible . Gracias!