BCM review @ Gameclub Central

Supreme Cmdr

Overall nice review, IMHO. I agree with the guy on the sound effects (don't kill me please! ), but I wonder what his review system setup was... Sounds like a lower end video card was used...I have a Pentium 3 600 mhz and GF3 Ti 500 and I haven't noticed any major draw-in/clipping problems.

Of course, watch me end up being the devil's advocate...

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: XenoZohar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

Uhh ,,, totaly off topic but were do you register the game,,, finaly got it,,, could wast any time,,, still playing, on my 4th hour now,,, can't stop...

Game registration --> http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...c&f=22&t=000005

Overall the review was pretty good, but I'm beginning to wonder whether these reviewers really put in as much time as is needed to appreciate the game. I've been playing for about two weeks now (I think) and the demos for a while before that and things still happen that surprise me. Clearly they need to write up their reviews sooner or later, but even with advanced reviewer copies (if any were sent out - I really don't know) I can't imagine they've already discovered a large portion of the game's details and quirks.

Also, I think the graphics and sound ratings were a bit low. I do think Planetary graphics are a bit weak, but the models are good and so is the texturing. And space scenes and big fights look awesome. On top of that, the sheer sense of scale should have brought the graphics rating up to at least an 8. The sound track is also awesome so 7 seems a bit low there as well.

And what's with the 9 rating for gameplay and yet only a 7.5 overall? Does gameclub just do a straight average? Even if they do, it seems wrong. Oh, well. I've never really liked gameclub and I especially hate the seperate rating for the game's "story"...

Oh, and I think he meant Starfleet Command, not Armada

Sim, keep something in mind - reviewers (professionals, anyway) have to stick to a certain word count assigned by their editor. If they go above that, the editor gets pissed and they don't work again.

Second, with the cutbacks and crap in the tech industry, a lot of publications are trimming fat - so more staff writers have to review more games. Its not a pretty picture.

Third, if the reviewer is a freelancer they simply cannot spend too much time reviewing something because it is not cost effective to them. That doesn't mean they aren't as good as staff writers, it just means they are business people first

Fourth, sometimes your bloody editor assigns you a healthy word count and cuts it in half on you at the last minute because they screwed up, but if you want to get paid you grin and bear it

[EDIT: Just realised my system specs thing isn't in line with the message forum guidelines - I'll change it immediately.]

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Gryphon ]

Guest [PCA]Pheonix

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

Overall the review was pretty good, but I'm beginning to wonder whether these reviewers really put in as much time as is needed to appreciate the game. I've been playing for about two weeks now (I think) and the demos for a while before that and things
still
happen that surprise me. Clearly they need to write up their reviews sooner or later, but even with advanced reviewer copies (if any were sent out - I really don't know) I can't imagine they've already discovered a large portion of the game's details and quirks.

Its a Cr@p review and thats my professional opinion. Hes not spent enough time on it. I'm deliberately taking my time, waiting for a few patches...and in the words of the SC, Its READY when its READY