Objective for an Explorer

tfuller

quote:

Originally posted by Space Grunt:

Sorry to be so vague, but what is the objective for an Explorer? I mean, if I just want to deploy drones and make money, then I would be a trader. Has anyone encountered any special sites or events that are exclusive to Explorers?

There was a lot of discussion about harmless castes like the explorer a few weeks ago. Remember that there aren't any goals or objectives in "roam" mode and the only two campaigns are meant for insurgent and military commanders. That means there aren't really "objectives" for any of the castes except to play them as you think they should be played. If you're interested in wandering around and taking a look at different planets then you might want to try an explorer - but in terms of gameplay I find the military, trader, and raider campaigns to be the most fun.

As far as I know, castes like explorer were just included for completeness.

I suppose we could just use this thread to assign each other missions. If someone asks, someone else can just make up a mission like "chart the planet of Alteris" and the person on the mission could post a link to screenshots of Alteris."

Might be fun. Its not that you can't just think one up on your own, its just fun and a bit more immersive ot have them assigned.

Just an idea.

How many times does a thread about these harmless castes, have to be created? I really should delete this one, but anyway. Its simple, if you don't like the caste, don't play it. BCM sports a fully fleshed out world. Just because a caste doesn't seem to make much difference now [bCM] doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose in the general scheme of things or future entities (games, books, movies etc) in the franchise

For one thing, in BCO, Explorers will be the only castes able to research new planets, mark them for colonization, allow other players to actually build on them etc.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

For one thing, in BCO, Explorers will be the only castes able to research new planets, mark them for colonization, allow other players to actually build on them etc.

sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am overcome by the coolness of BCO. please may I have the privelidge nay the honour of being a BCO betatester?

quote:

I'd love to see some of the RP stories (the epics like Preemptive Strike) turned into books someday.

Ah, I've been doing that to PS for over a year now. If I manage to break a leg or somthing, chances are I'd finish it sooner.

quote:

And movies?? Wow! I'd love to hear more about this.

We talked about this before in an old thread. I call Charlie Sheen for FC Savage.

How's this for an objective for an explorer...

Someone posts (on the web) pictures of a few locations (scrub the details off the bottom, obviously!) and then the people playing explorer castes could race to identify them.

You could even give out prizes! The first annual planetspotting contest!

Actually, reading back over this, it's a s*** idea! Still, tonight I shall post a screenshot from each quadrant on my website, and the first person to correctly identify all four locations gets a prize (TDB)

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Dread:

Nova's not important. Sean Connery for Karl Reiynes (the SC from the actual game). Not to mention Tom Cruise for Captain Dread, the protagonist(who is promoted to Commander of a BC after a Gammulan attack on Earth)

Heh. Not important... Let's see...

-Mother died while at early age. Father died 2999-3000, after a Gammulan raid on research vessel. (Nova's father was a scientist.)

-Nova went AWOL right before graduating from the GalCom Academy. (3000; read Into the Darkness in the RP Threads)

-Became a mercenary. (3000-3008)

-Joined Orion Fleet, after good performance in Operation Golgotha. (3008; read Into The Fire in the RP Threads)

-Wrote the Orion Fleet Handbook, and also work as a Newbie Orientation Officer (Basically an Unofficial Assistant Commandant for the Academy). (3010-3015+)

...Those are the basics. I really need to fill in more specifics, especially in those mercenary years.

And about Sean Connery. I'd love to hear what the SC says about his character.... Let's see who he has in mind....

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

I get Jackie Chan!!!! Woot!

Erm...... I think I'll just move past this post today...

-----

Nice idea Smiley. In BC , we could run that by giving away free GalCreds for the winners. Don't know how we could run it, though.....