BCM Review @ Gamespot

Supreme Cmdr

Well, they've always hated me over there. So, this comes as no surprise.

Whatever you do, don't lose it. Gamers sell games.

Nah, the review I thought, was well written and informative in some respects.

He didn't like the game, he didn't like it. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Besides, GameSpot have always made me the whipping boy over the years (and I've cussed them time and time again - I still have the emails), so, this comes as no surprise. Don't take my word for it. Search the site.

My issues with the review, apart from the low score, are that (a) he *assumes* that the fp mode was meant to compete with fp shooters (B) he says the objects aren't large and to scale. Thats just pure bollocks. I doubt that he even bothered to check that out before writing it. I suppose he thinks his view of the outside space world is through a fish-eye lens. You guys who don't have the game and have the time, just try it. Exit the ship in fp mode and zoom out. In fact, GALCOM HQ is 7 miles high x 17.3 miles wide x 17.3 long. And thats one of the smaller stations!

© then he goes on to compare my own home grown sci-fi franchise with the likes of Star Wars...not to mention Babylon 5, of which even Sierra (and all the Vivendi millions) couldn't do a game on.

Its a review and he is entitled to his opinion. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. The fact is, if reviews sold games (and not fans), IWAR2, which got an 8.9 (reviewed by Desslock, a damn good reviewer if you ask me) would have sold a lot more units than BCM. And its been out four months in the US and on wide release. Yes, it tanked miserably in the US. As did the first title.

The point is, games stand on their own merits and a game's fan base sells it.

Here is their BC3K review

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

3 hours learning curve? I must be a genius then since it didn't take me that long.

Anyway it was obvious he didn't like the game from the start. He tries to be informative but subconciously tries to dissuade people from this game. I don't care anyway what he sez. This game is my cup of tea and besides the game will sell itself.

Hey, SC... thanks for posting a link to the old BC3K review. I got a kick out of just looking at the requirements. Pentium-60... hehe . I actually didn't realize the requirements were quite that low, I'm almost tempted to install it on one of my older systems now.

As for the BCM review...

*mumbles a bit*

I guess it was an alright review and I suppose it reflected the reviewer's opinion accurately, but it seemed like he never bothered to explain why he didn't like a particular part of the game or what he found uninteresting. I don't know, maybe reviews like this just annoy because I like the game - but it never seems like reviewers give it a fair chance or enough time.

"Dinky"....you gotta be kidding me..."dinky"? I never did take anyone seriously who used the word "Dinky".

I think "Dinky" may be just the right word to describe the review in general.

hmmm... is "dinky" a noun or a verb...

Cheers

This guy did get the same game I did, right?

Couple of notes while I was reading:

The pre-asteroid scene in Empire Strikes Back? Where did that come from?? For some reason, I still can't get the ackwardness of that interjection out of my mind.

I happen to love hard core jane's flight sims.

The freedom and flexibility is still as exciting as it was the day I opened the box.

The visual effects are dull...rofl! There still is nothing cooler than pullin up next to a planet and parkin it while flying around in a shuttle. Sometimes I'll planetfall, and fly around just to look at the VERY attractive graphics.

No drama....welcome to roleplay. Guess you'll have to have an *GASP* imagination to play this. Someone's not going to spell everything out and play it out for you, you're going to have to actually make some stuff up.

Ok, I can't really say much for the pain voices...heheh.

I find game reviewers, in general, about the same that I do movie reviewers. If I wanted your opinion, I'd watch the movie and give it to you. Most of the time they're too predisposed to their own opinions to really sway my own any.

I've been playing since the first release of BC3K V.2, and I can't believe how far it's come. I have one word for them: R.A.N.D.O.M.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but if I wanted to develop a rail shooter, I'd have done it. Its really THAT simple.

Bah everybody knows that rail guns are for wusses. I'll just stick to mini-guns.

The one area that he does score some points with me Derek, is about the use of acronyms in the manual. I found myself constantly flipping back and forth in the manual trying to remember what MTAR, etc. meant. Perhaps this speak is no problem for veterans, but for newbies, I did find it more difficult than it needed to be. I did serve 6 years active duty USAF, so I know how easy it is to speak in acronyms I thought he missed the boat as far as complaining about gameplay as I find it refreshing to play a game that isn't tightly scripted, while others will claim the game "wanders." Go figure.

quote:

Originally posted by actrade:

The one area that he does score some points with me Derek, is about the use of acronyms in the manual. I found myself constantly flipping back and forth in the manual trying to remember what MTAR, etc. meant. Perhaps this speak is no problem for veterans, but for newbies, I did find it more difficult than it needed to be. I did serve 6 years active duty USAF, so I know how easy it is to speak in acronyms I thought he missed the boat as far as complaining about gameplay as I find it refreshing to play a game that isn't tightly scripted, while others will claim the game "wanders." Go figure.

Indeed - but talking about such trivial issues such as acronyms while blantantly missing important gaming aspects e.g. the game's AI, the range of units etc, is just inexcusable.

PLUS, its not like the acronyms are not explained. EACH one is described during its first use. So its not like you come across CVD and go wtf?!?