Gun-shy Starstations, Ground Forces , and Nye-Unbeatable Cloak Raids

Korono Lakeela

I was curious about something but was afraid to ask about it because I didn't want to come off as complaining. I also didn't want to potentially add another thorn to Derek's well-prodded side!

But I can't keep my mouth shut about it any longer....

I noticed that when I come in to engage an enemy starstation, they will lob a few missles at me, and kick out the fighters, but they don't seem to let loose with the cannons. When I watch NPCs engage starstations they are ripped to shreds in short order by the station's guns. Now when I come in, I am ignored by them, and it makes taking or blowing up the station rather easy. Am I blind, or is this done to keep players from whining about difficulty?

I also see this when I drop my Alter Ego down to bother my arch enemies on a planet's surface. They seem to take no notice of my player as I walk around and lay waste to everything in sight (as long as the ammo holds out). But if I go down with a company of marines, then the fireworks begin. Is this done to keep framerates reasonable by not having a swarm of ground pounders fly out at the mere sight of one Galcom commander? Or to keep people from getting cut to shreds in an instant? Either way, it would be cool to have to tackle some marines when I pull off these little covert assualts with the most important member of the crew.

Lastly, I don't know if this is a bug or anything, but it is a pretty nasty cheat. Heck this could be how the game works, so I apologize in advance. But, when I use my cloak and attack a starstation or an ODS, I am completely ignored as I fire away with the cannons. Now I read in the manual that when you fire you become momentarily visible, wouldn't one be open to an all out butt-kicking by the starstation or ods if he opened fire? This is especially nasty if I sneak up on a starstation cloaked as he won't even launch fighters throughout the whole attack. Hopefully, the system stays clean during my assualt I can walk in and take the station without any real problem or risk of having it re-destroyed by avenging fighters. I was thinking that if my station started to take a beating from unknown sources, I would start to launch sorties to find it!

Now, I love this game with a passion, but these are just little observations that I feel, in my humble and easily ignorable opinion, if covered would increase the intensity of this already over-the-top program.

Or these could very well be the ramblings of a computer game masochist!

Thanks for your time!

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

I've noticed the ground combat thing. I'll go down with a force of marines. Their marines will engage my marines, and I can walk right up to them and shoot them in the face without being engaged. I took out 7 marines at point blank from the front that way. I was actually trying to provoke them.

Is it possible they don't see me as a threat? They no doubt consider engineers and medics to be non-threats, but I wonder how they feel about officers?

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

I've noticed the ground combat thing. I'll go down with a force of marines. Their marines will engage my marines, and I can walk right up to them and shoot them in the face without being engaged. I took out 7 marines at point blank from the front that way. I was actually trying to provoke them.

Is it possible they don't see me as a threat? They no doubt consider engineers and medics to be non-threats, but I wonder how they feel about officers?

I know why that happens. It is related to their SA and if they already have a primary target. I'm going to be revisiting that at some point. Read the very bottom of the VCF.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by the Supreme Commander:

I can't see why that would happen.

I have already explained how station PTA turrets work.

As for ground forces, if they don't see you, they won't engage. They're not super human.

Unless I'm missing something?

Ok, I had a feeling that I was in the dark about the station PTA's, I am sorry and will search for your post.

Maybe I am lucky, but I have beamed down, walked right into the center of an enemy base and blown down barracks and other military buildings without being noticed.

On the issue of the cloak raids, I guarantee, that everytime I attack a station or at ODS under cloak, I am ignored and free to pound them into rubble without fear of detection.

Perhaps someone could try and reproduce this for me, so I can be sure this is an issue. I know that something is up, it works everytime for me.

I am not trying to push this issue to be annoying, but this happens to me everytime and I feel it is worth mentioning.

...now where did I put that airlock fun-pass?...

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

quote:

On the issue of the cloak raids, I guarantee, that everytime I attack a station or at ODS under cloak, I am ignored and free to pound them into rubble without fear of detection.

Perhaps someone could try and reproduce this for me, so I can be sure this is an issue. I know that something is up, it works everytime for me.

I've been using the same tactics and can take out any station that I've come across so far,while taking little or no damage. I discussed this with my fellow commanders in Wraith. I didn't know if it was a problem or not.

I went on a run night before last and decided to capture them instead of destroying them.Worked like a charm.Although with a pad you have to be a little light on the trigger. I captured two stations...one of them being New America..gosh she looks much better in green than red..lol also have some neat screenshots of my Megaron INSIDE New America....really cool!!....The problem is that by capturing both of these stations I LOST EP. I went from 11,000+ at the beginning of the night to -800 at the conclusion of the operation against New America....I din't mention it before because I thought I had missed something .I've been reading and still can't find an answer to this incident. I consulted my Wing leader about it and he said he would check on it....If anybody else has had a similar experience I would love to hear about it.

quote:

You will lose EPs depending on the race/caste you were playing. Check out the appendix for the EP distribution list.

Yeah, I already looked at that...I was a Ter/Mil capturing Ter/Ins New America....I thought that by the chart I would gain Ep...I thought maybe I was missing something else.