BCM Review @ PC Zone (UK)

Supreme Cmdr

It's Funny you should mention that article back in Feb of 2001. It was the same one that got me interested in the game, I started following the progress of BCM shortly after.

I generally find the previews I like then I start following the development of the game, lurking on boards etc. I did that with Baldurs Gate and Starfleet Command as well.

I actually usually prefer previews, they are generally positive and accentuate all the things the developer is trying to accomplish. They usually include mission statements from the developer as well so you can get some idea of what his take on things are. Reviews, while somewhat useful, are as you say just opinions.

Cheers

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Oban ]

I rest my case.

Previews will do more for a game than reviews.

I guess that's why movies and television shows live and die by the preview.

Reviews, at best, are tainted by the reviewers general feelings and experiences. True they are not all bad. If the review is written in an intelligent and unbiased fashion, without accusatory and derogatory remarks, then it is worth it's weight in gold for the sale of a game.

But to reduce ones opinion to the point of name calling and libelous accusation, will leave the Shirleys of the world slobbering with glee, and most likely turn off any would be buyers.

If it were me, any and all libelous slander would be met with the business end of a Barrister(sp).

Don't get me wrong though. I'm all about freedom of the press. But with that freedom comes the responsibility of telling the truth. The review in question fell far short of that goal.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

If it were me, any and all libelous slander would be met with the business end of a Barrister(sp).

Don't get me wrong though. I'm all about freedom of the press. But with that freedom comes the responsibility of telling the truth. The review in question fell far short of that goal.

Exactly.

Guest Grayfox

yep. its almost like most of these "reviewers" (and i use the word loosely) go into a review with the mindset of what they want it to be, instead of being objective about things. then if the game isnt what they wanted in a game, they bash it, flame it, and toss enough dirt on it or the developer to ruin any chance of the product selling decently anywhere, or any futre works from the developer from selling... cept maybe the arctic circle where i hear news travels quite slowly although reading some of the reviews about BCM, it sounds like these guys are on a serious witch hunt, bound and determined to flame the SC... i say we do to them what the soviets did to the people that started the revoloution... execute them

You know, besides alot of reviewers hating the SC for no good reason, reviews in general have gotten really bad lately. I mean, long ago, reviews were able to tell you if you wanted the game or not. Now, they tell you if the guy who reviewed it should have bought it...anyone else have this feeling? I haven't read a good review in a magazine since GameFan.(if anyone remembers that magazine, give a yell )

I am a reviewer, and i can say that usually it's the whole magazine honest or it's the whole magazine dishonest.

This is because at the end the magazine becomes a community and a dishonest reviewer in an honest group of reviewers is easily banned by the Head Editor if he doesn't work well.

If the Head Editor is honest and true in his editorials, then his staff will follow him in this way.

If there's a problem in PC Zone, it is a whole magazine problem. Probably they are not so honest as we all hoped and dishonesty is horrible. Really horrible.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I deleted that thread about the CV&G review. Its actually the PC Zone review. I guess the PC Zone logo to the right of the screen wasn't a clue?

Well, it seems CV&G and PCZone are sister magazines...

This is voice transcription of latest pc zone article in uk march edition, hope i've caught all the errors.

Article title: battle improver battle cruiser millennium's ambitions may yet be realised little by little

PCs zone has never been afraid to court controversy especially when it comes to uncompromising reviews scores, and we put ourselves in the firing line again last issue with our review of Derek Smart's latest bug riddled opus battle cruiser millennium. While our fair minded reviews score has since been vindicated by reader response, we'd nevertheless like to point out that Derek Smart's previous game was also work in progress on initial release, but, to his credit, he and the team at 3000ad stuck with the game and supported it to the end. That was battle cruiser 3000ad, released virtually unplayable in 1996, later finished, developed and released free online, then as a graphically enhanced budget title in 1998. The point is, it was eventually quite decent, and the same could easily happened to be BCM, though hopefully in a slightly shorter time span.

In fact, 3000ad has already released several minor patches for the game, shortly to be followed by a more substantial patch to include support for full 16 player multi-player (perhaps up to 64 on official servers). On top of this it has promised 2 major expansions to the hard core Sim, both to appear later this year. The first, code-named XP1, is to concentrate mainly on expanding the list of units and their capabilities, as well as adding new scenarios, weapons, careers, planets and a massively detailed new city. However it also promises to significantly improve the games graphics and physics engines, and adds a list of other minor enhancements as long as your arm. Several of these address specific beefs we have with the game play, such as the inability to board, capture and control enemy vessels.

However none of this compares with the ambition (some would say arrogance) of the second expansion, XP 2, which promises to totally convert the game into a real-world military simulator on a global scale. All the existing units will be replaced with real-world alternatives and the entire world modelled using accurate topological data.

Overweening or not, it's clear that the BCM universe is a constantly evolving one and disappointed fans can rest assured that we'll be taking another look at the game when it's in a more presentable state. Of course a slightly piqued Derek has already sworn never to forgive us, so don't expect an exclusive like any time soon.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, I don't think the article title is correct. Is it? That doesn't make any sense (at least not in English), I don't think.

yes, its split over 2 lines, read it as having a colon after battle improver