X BOX?

coram

I love to try and understand the gaming industry better, kind of like the way people who are into movies watch Entertainment tonight.

Would you take offense by my asking what forces determine decisions about release to other platforms?

Personally, I`m happy playing BCM on my PC, but I would love for my son to be able to play it on his X Box, thats why I asked.

quote:

Originally posted by Valmorgan:

I love to try and understand the gaming industry better, kind of like the way people who are into movies watch Entertainment tonight.

Would you take offense by my asking what forces determine decisions about release to other platforms?

Personally, I`m happy playing BCM on my PC, but I would love for my son to be able to play it on his X Box, thats why I asked.

Only a complete idiot would take a niche series, burn millions on it, and then port it to a console. Twitch fest games are for consoles, not niche titles like the BC series.

If I want to do an XBox title, it won't stray from the twitch fest notion in any shape or form. Thats what consoles are for.

At any rate, right now and until further notice, I'm focused on PC gaming. XBox gaming will come and I'll probably do a space sim and that first person shooter (once Croteam finish the engine port to DX8) I've wanted to do with the Serious Sam engine.

If 3000AD were larger and had the resources, I'd do an XBox title in parallel. But right now, I'm focused on PC gaming. Its not like I want another batch of pimple faced pricks giving me a hard time; especially now that I've got the current ones under control.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. In 2002, I'm taking a more laid back approach to a lot of things; and am going to be even less tolerant than I was in 2001.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

If I want to do an XBox title, it won't stray from the twitch fest notion in any shape or form. Thats what consoles are for.

At any rate, right now and until further notice, I'm focused on PC gaming. XBox gaming will come and I'll probably do a space sim and that first person shooter (once Croteam finish the engine port to DX8) I've wanted to do with the Serious Sam engine.

Hmm...BCM spin-offs, anyone?

Serious Sam, 3000!

Seriously , I'm sure 3000 ad could do some awesome X Box titles. Nothing as shear in scope as BCM, since the X Box is made for twitch gamers, but I can see some twitch-based BC-series titles, like SC pointed out, based on FPS and space combat.

I never have owned a console machine I just aint that damn twitchy(although with the amount of coffee I'm drinking these days that may change) and it goes to my detriment when I call around to a friends house and they pull out the Playstation 2 and I spend the night getting my but kicked by everybody in the room. Thats why I like the PC the games that are/can be devoloped for the PC require more thought and don't as much need twitch responses, which is also another reason I love the BC series as a commander I can plan what I want to do. For me that is a great relieve and I enjoy the fact that many of my twitchy friends do not have the concentration to get immersed in a game like BCM because they are the console generation.

Sorry to go off topic but to tell you the truth when I first heard MS were releasing the XBOX it worried me because I thought the days of PC gaming were coming to an end, I'm just glad to see it ain't happening

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I dont know,

Im thinking 3000AD needs to develope a nice Halo killer based on marine Air/Ground/water/team assullts on a planetarry level.

Use the Serious Engine along with the BCM Tacops style control, and throw in some massive AI for kicks.

Imagine leading a force marine Division in to assult a city and being able to control the air strikes, ground assult company, ground troops, paratroopers all from the command vehicle. Or switching to FPS mode and leading, the charge driving the tank, or bombing the anti personell defenses to dust.

You could proceed through a series of missions that cover ground, air, water, and covert infiltration. The ultimate goal to liberate a planet from Galcom forces or a Gamalian invation or any number of story driven plots.

call it

Battallion Commander 3000AD.

or

Strike Force 3000AD

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

Personally, I totally understand why BCM will never find it's way to consoles. There just aren't enough BUTTONS on the controller to fly a battlecruiser!

'nuff said.

However, I am confused why console games don't get ported to PC....But that's another issue.

quote:

Its not like I want another batch of pimple faced pricks giving me a hard time;
especially now that I've got the current ones under control.

Now who would he be talking about there?

ROFLMAO!!

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

There just aren't enough BUTTONS on the controller to fly a battlecruiser!

My thoughts exactly. I can just picture someone trying to operate a fully-loaded CC on a ten button controller.

Another reason: with allot more of twitchy, pimple faced kids playing the console version of BCM, your bound to get atleast one kid who goes nuts, takes his mom's car, and rams it into the local DMV while screaming something about Gamulians killing his 3 week old AE.

Then SC would get sued by the CCMAVM, the Coalition of (stupid, ignorant) Colimbine Mothers Against Violent Media.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]