BCM Review @ All Out Games

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Prety ok review, This is my only real beef.

quote:

None of the models of the planets, ships, space stations are big enough or look good enough to leave any sort of impression.

I am at a loss as to how he arrived at this conclusion. "big" enough?

If there is one single area this game nails its the immesne scale of Planets to bases to ships to you.

I also totally disagree that the graphics in te last Wing Commander game look better than this. Do all reviewers have 20/100 vision these days?

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Hellbinder ]

quote:

I personally find it enjoyable to an extent, but it does get lonely out there.

WTF???? Then why am I being deluged by Gammulan Assasins and Military on Stormcarriers? And me in my Sunflash as a merc. Which star system was he in, the boonies?

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Lows: Poor graphics; Lack of Multiplayer; nonexistent tutorial.

umm ok the graphics thing is being beaten to death. and besides when the new upgrade comes out itll "pretty up" the graphics. same with the MP patch... as for the "nonexistent" tutorial, i could swear theres a doc on the cd that walks you thru the different tutorials and instant action scenarios... but maybe im wrong due to the angle of my forhead yet again i shall pass one word along that has been beaten into my brain... RTFM

he did, however, hit on the depth issue, which is definitely the heart of BCM, and in turn saved the review from being another flame ridden hate fest review

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

"I am at a loss as to how he arrived at this conclusion. "big" enough?

"If there is one single area this game nails its the immesne scale of Planets to bases to ships to you."

"I also totally disagree that the graphics in te last Wing Commander game look better than this. Do all reviewers have 20/100 vision these days?"

I actually loaded up the Last Wing Commander game before writing the review to base my comparison. Wing Commander Prophecy did IMHO look better, and more impressive.

"I personally find it enjoyable to an extent, but it does get lonely out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF???? Then why am I being deluged by Gammulan Assasins and Military on Stormcarriers? And me in my Sunflash as a merc. Which star system was he in, the boonies?"

My point was that in a game as massive as this, multiplayer is sorely missed. That particular quote was setting up the next sentence.

"umm ok the graphics thing is being beaten to death. and besides when the new upgrade comes out itll "pretty up" the graphics."

I understand that the graphics thing has been beaten to death, but I can't base a review on what others have said. It would be difficult for me to say "Let's skip the graphics issue, since it's been written about"

As for the upgrade, I have already told Derek that I will REVISE the review once the multiplayer patch has been properly implemented. As I said, if the multiplayer patch is properly implemented the game will receive 10 more points.

"theres a doc on the cd that walks you thru the different tutorials and instant action scenarios"

That's just poor organization then, don't you agree? There are bits of information everywhere, and donÔÇÖt give the learning a sense of uniformity.

" i shall pass one word along that has been beaten into my brain... RTFM ""

Yes, I read the manual and did point out that it was thorough. As I said in the review, the game has a steep learning curve, but so do other simulations like the Jane's series, Comanche series, and MS Flight Simulator series... yet they all have half-decent tutorials.

quote:

Originally posted by Noman from Alloutgames.com:

[QB I understand that the graphics thing has been beaten to death, but I can't base a review on what others have said. It would be difficult for me to say "Let's skip the graphics issue, since it's been written about"

[/QB]

I agree.

As for the other stuff pointed out, maybe its just the flow of the wording thats got everyone's knickers in a bunch.

I seemed to agree with most of the review.

Especially with that part about tutorials. Most of the newbies around here seem to really be trying, and yet--they can't really understand how some things work. Took me a while to figure out everything (I don't even think I know every system yet) about how to command a BC.

I'm just itching to create an interactive DHTML or even Flash applet/thing that displays a mock-up of a BC cockpit and the systems, that shows you a pop-up and description/usage of every system. And after that, would follow FC/SC/OC ones, and FPS. And then, I'd make more guides. Damnit--I've been too damn lazy. But since I already lost all of my other BC projects with a HD problem (Orion Fleet Handbook would be the biggest), I could start on the new project first. Hm.. It's been a while since I've updated my newbie documents. (November, infact. Don't hurt me, please. )

When I finish getting my system bearings, I just might..... Or I'll just go lazy again.

Anyway, about the learning curve, in-game. Yeah, I thought it was slightly complicated. Okay, a little bit past slightly. I think if some people would head over to the support forum and hit the newbie forums, they'd be able to find their answers. The newbie forums were a new addition to the boards, mostly because we expected BC newbies to be confused on some things. (Sheesh, I learned everything the hard way.) It's the best place to ask if you don't get something. You will almost never get a RTFM from me. Some of the others will insist on you registering, and I will too. But my way of BBS life is help first. The community itself has probably helped lower the learning curve. Now if only more people looked at the community......

quote:

I understand that the graphics thing has been beaten to death, but I can't base a review on what others have said. It would be difficult for me to say "Let's skip the graphics issue, since it's been written about"

True. I don't know about the fact that that's one of the big hitters of losing points in reviews nowadays. (And multiplayer.) Ah well. I just wanna see what's in store for XP1. The graphics were never anything important for me, in almost any game, and I'll just stand neutral on the graphics--not eye-popping, but not bad either.

Welcome here Noman. Wanna look around and critique the other reviews? (They've got their own threads.)

Nova (the Newbie Welcome Wagon), over and out.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I think the review is good. Could have been better, but have been much worse

This is my favorite excerpt. I'm laughing so hard, cuz its true. I just KNEW I should'nt have called that file bcmtutorial.html It was meant to be used in concert with the TA scenarios and the manuals. I suppose because it is a tutorial, my idea is that you would use it to get familiar with the game and in a non-hostile environment. So, I should've called it something akin to a familiarity thingie.

As soon as you load up a tutorial you receive an instant message. But don't hold your breath; all it does is let you know that you are playing a tutorial. But I guess even the game isn't convinced that you are playing a real tutorial which is why it tries to convince you that you are.

Anyway, an official strategy guide (which 3000AD will self-publish) has been contracted out to an author (expect a formal announcement once the contracts are done) is currently in the works. And it will be available in a few months as well as in the BCM Platinum (BCM + XP1 + Strat Guide) Edition due out in the Summer.

Guest Grayfox

heh, im sure you wouldnt have to contract anyone to do a strat guide... im sure we all could come up with a collective guide from all these different posts