starstations -- too weak? or cloaking device/PAD too powerful?

Spider-man

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Commander:

In which case station lasers in 1.0.06 are going to hurt. A lot. Especially since each shot now has a damage value of 2500 units (up from 150) and a sustained lifetime (the time it remains visible and slices in a given direction) of 1000ms (up from 250ms). Which means that for each ms that beam is on the target, it will cause a damage of 2500 units. Enough to completely destroy a fighter in one single pass.

As for armor+shield, those two have been beefed up. e.g. GHQ how has a rating of 25000/35000 respectively.

*Fox starts jotting down names for his "death list"*

Welp, all ya folks that wanted them damn near invisible... seems thats what yur gettin... to bad it's still SP cuz even with a fleet yur gunna get smoked hehe.... I'll stick with the Cargo ships at this point lol....

Faced the turrets outwards!

2500 Dmg!

Extended Range!

Extended Duration!

Double Shields!

Double Armor!

Cloak disabled during jumps WHAM! Can ya feel the PAIN!

(rp) SC you have official scared the snot outta my crew... they refuse to go near a station (and I shot 2 of them)!(rp)

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

Just remember folks you asked for it... can't wait till MP maybe then I'll think about stations again .

Former quote "Laying siege to the galaxy one station at a time!" Check below for new quote .

[ 02-15-2002, 11:46: Message edited by: Flak ]

quote:

Originally posted by Flak:

Welp, all ya folks that wanted them damn near invisible... seems thats what yur gettin...

While they may appear to be near invincible (at first glance), they really aren't...if you know what you're doing. All it takes is some very good tactics. A fleet would help too.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

no arguments from me, except when the new patch comes out and i get waxed by a station, im going to copy down every single persons name that posted in this forum for the SC to "beef up" the station strength, and im going to hunt them down and make them suffer slow painful radiated deaths in MP

I think I┬┤ll join the crusade. What have you guys done? Who┬┤s responsible?

2500 units per shot, ouch, that┬┤s gonna hurt.

Never wake up a giant, unless you can put him back to sleep.(with a minimum damage, but that┬┤s too late)

quote:

While they may appear to be near invincible (at first glance), they really aren't...if you know what you're doing. All it takes is some very good tactics. A fleet would help too.

Well this was supposed to be a thinking man's (or woman's) game so commanders start thinking. Some of you may gripe about it being too hard, but as Gallion stated you have to step your commanding skills up a notch or two. In the long run the SC is doing us a favor, once we get MP your skills should be vastly improved.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

A ODS around a station? Wow, this is gona be hard to beat. Makes sense though since stations should have their own defences.

uhm, stations have defenses. They're called missiles and turrets.

Sorry, I meant that they should have extra defences, not just their own. I should have worded that a little better.

LOL..SC..

I do have a tactic in mind already we'll see if it works or not when the patch comes out.. if not all the better.

The thing I love about this game is the ever changing nature of it and how it makes you actually think while playing. Static worlds only numb your brain and bore you to death in a day or so... not so with this one.

As far as my dramatics... well ya know gotta play it up a bit hehe .

Altho I think some of the changes are whoopers and it seems as tho ya lost yer mind... LOL, I can't say I don't like them.. makes it much more challenging.. and gives me lotsa different things to try out with the coming patch....

Keep it coming SC, like I said before...

You'll not deter me from expanding my Criminal Empire! Soon as I figure out how to get off this blasted MOON ! hehe

[ 02-15-2002, 15:57: Message edited by: Flak ]

Thank you, SC, for looking at this and making some changes that will (hopefully) make the game more realistic and more balanced.

By the way, I spit coke all over my lap when I read that bit about the "PAP smear" (emp pulse should short out cloaking devices as well, right? -- maybe you mentioned that, don't remember).

I also like your simple two word answer to jumping in to range of a hostile station and not having a cloaking device: "they're F*cked".

LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You think thats bad? I've rotated the ODS systems so they face outwards, rather than forwards. So, they will always be facing the station as they orbit around the planet.

...and I'm tempted to add an ODS in orbit around each station and within the 250km range.

...Being a Raider just got a little harder, didn't it...

Well,there you have it !!!I knew something like this was gonna happen ... Ya know as many times as I've heard that saying "never mess with the DM or GM(and now SC)" It never ceases to amaze me that our gamers minds just can't wrap itself around that piece of good advice

But while we are at it, I'm surprised that there is not an ODS type satellite that can't be towed and parked in the general area of those jumpgates and wormholes......lol...I tried tractoring one to do just that and had no success

Oh and 'Fox, I think I'm ready to start helping you with that list..

uhhhh come to think of it...my ver.1.00.05 is running really great....uh maybe I can skip that 1.00.06 thing...........

NAHHHHH

Don't worry, if it ends up being too tough, just ask Gallion nicely, and am sure he'll create a GBS-II mod which reverts the settings to their original values. Not a big deal really, since 90% of the changes I did, are scripted and can be changed.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

quote:

In which case station lasers in 1.0.06 are going to hurt. A lot. Especially since each shot now has a damage value of 2500 units (up from 150) and a sustained lifetime (the time it remains visible and slices in a given direction) of 1000ms (up from 250ms). Which means that for each ms that beam is on the target, it will cause a damage of 2500 units. Enough to completely destroy a fighter in one single pass.

As for armor+shield, those two have been beefed up. e.g. GHQ how has a rating of 25000/35000 respectively.

*Fox starts jotting down names for his "death list"*

*Joins Fox to punish those on his "death list"*

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Ya know as many times as I've heard that saying "never mess with the DM or GM(and now SC)" It never ceases to amaze me that our gamers minds just can't wrap itself around that piece of good advice

Yea, this kind of reminds me of when I used to play AD&D. There was this kid we would pick on, and one day he won the dungeon master postion. Well... we kinda got owned after that, two Minotaurs with a flock of goblins just isn't cool.

Maybe this will be for the better, perhaps this will make diplomacy useful in mp. How? you ask. Simple, player A and player B are enemies, and station C is enemy to both. Player A knows he can't attack that station alone, but needs to. Ditto for player B. Player A inits comm with player B, and they hook up and own station C.

quote:

It never ceases to amaze me that our gamers minds just can't wrap itself around that piece of good advice

LOL!! Yeah know what you mean, it happens alot here! Ahhh yes, AD&D... remember it well.

quote:

The thing I love about this game is the ever changing nature of it and how it makes you actually think while playing. Static worlds only numb your brain and bore you to death in a day or so... not so with this one.

Not a truer word will you ever read on the forums!! Well said Flak, I concur!

quote:

Also something I fondly call a pap smear

Improved defences, new offensive weapons and now the SC says PAP. Geez, all this new stuff is gonna make me PArP! Way too cool for words SC! Good one, you're Da Bomb!

[rp]

Btw, D'ya think Gallion can write me a GBS-II mod to move decimal points in the game, so that my little old Firestorm can get *ahem* 31,250 shields please??

[/rp]

[ 02-16-2002, 06:18: Message edited by: Badger ]

quote:

Originally posted by Badger:

[rp]Btw, D'ya think Gallion can write me a GBS-II mod to move decimal points in the game, so that my
little old Firestorm
can get *ahem* 31,250 shields please??

[/rp][/QB]

Nope, you ladies are getting what you asked for

You ave opened Pandora's box, peeked inside, and closed the lid. Take a gander at what that means

If anything, I'd whip up a GBS-II thingy that'll look like a Death-Dungeon (D&D flashback) no Monty Hall's from me

Tx fer the update Badger Fixed

TTFN

Guest Grayfox

err gallion, please dont group us all together i thought things were fine juuuuust the way they were, however, some people didnt think so. so they rubbed the lamp and *POOF* hehehe.

*fox anxiously awaits the arrival of the 1.0.0.6 patch, then kicks back and waits for the bit%%ing to begin*

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

You ave opened
Pandora's
box, peeked inside, and closed the lid. Take a gander at what that means

If anything, I'd whip up a GBS-II thingy that'll look like a Death-Dungeon (D&D flashback) no Monty Hall's from me

God no, please god no.

This really feels like someone pressed the wrong button, and the SC decided to drop the big one on us. Is that a bright white light I see. (For you slow people who don't catch it at first sight, think cold war.)

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Nope, you ladies are getting what you asked for

You ave opened Pandora's box, peeked inside, and closed the lid. Take a gander at what that means

Tx fer the update Badger Fixed

Heheh, good one Gallion! And thanks for the "tx" btw - your welcome, glad to be of help.

These new updates for the stations etc are going to be a definite improvement IMO I must say. I cloaked and sneaked under a station last night and with only a few seconds on the 80% IOD and one or two feathery blasts, the station SOS'd and 'twas mine!

[rp]

Oh, and where was I? Spectre, Antis, heheh. It does my old "Orion Heart" good to see "TER/MIL/SPECTRE" on screen!

[/rp]

Seriously though, it did feel like a hollow victory, as there was no planning or strategy needed - [ just sneak up 'n under and blast for 3 seconds ], so it certainly could do with being a much bigger fight. Even the Cloaking System radiation level from the start at the Jump Gate, though HJ and on to capturing the station only got as high as 78, so I was never in any kind of danger...

I guess I'll just have to be amongst those added to whatever "deathlists" are flying about at the moment because "Mr Chairman, this proposal has my fullest support"!