starstations -- too weak? or cloaking device/PAD too powerful?

Spider-man

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Oh I hate riding carriers. Hyperdrives are much too slow. I'd be happy to see all hyperdrive times cutted into half... but the chances that this might happen are next to null.

Yeah, ditto.

Urza plays a round round of solitaire on the bridge of the Weatherlight

"Are we there yet?!"

"No, it'll be another three hours at least!"

Urza goes back to his game

But this boils down to two things: play balance and lack of time compression. (so many people I spoke with were really turned off by that) Still, it would be nice if there was some form of time compression. If that happens, it won't be for a while.

Anyway, I've applied the new patch, but I don't have the iridium or missiles to even attempt to attack a station. I've just been patroling around Sol and its neighbors shooting hostile crusiers out of the sky.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nor will I ever change the HJ transit settings. Ever.

Good I'd hate to have to make all those bloomin' changes to the appendix. And we know how dyslexic I can be with numbers from time to time

TTFN

I was thinking of another possible way to deal with stations, instead of haveing the pta systems so powerfull they destroy anything with out a cloaking system, did you think of setting them so they take a cruiser/carriers shielding down to about 800 this leaves the player very open to attack, now the station would launch four fighters and one possibly two cruiser/carriers to attack the player? this would make it so anyone with a heavy carrier/cruiser could attack stations, but would destroy smaller ships which have no buiness takeing on stations, also it would also give the npc cruiser/carriers a chance at destroying stations again, now if the player destroys the fighters or cruisers the station sends out more to keep constent pressure on the player?

Stations are fine the way they are now. This idea adds nothing but bloat-code to BCM IMO.

NPC craft that attempt to attack a Station deserve each DeD that results there of.

Players just need to refine their CC skills wrt attacking/capturing SS. They're blind spots in the current SS defense - not many but a few - that would allow a CC without a cloaking system to be victorious over a SS. Seek and you just may find

TTFN

[ 03-03-2002, 11:02: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Good I'd hate to have to make all those bloomin' changes to the appendix. And we know how dyslexic I can be with numbers from time to time

Forget I said all that; I'd hate to put Gallion through that.

Well the problem with how it's current setup is the universe lost the dynamic feel it had, I used to like going thro a system only to come back a couple hours later and find the station was destroyed, that doesnt happen anymore npc ships no matter the type get destroeyd before they leave hyperspace.

Il elaborate, I started a new game once about 10 minutes after launching from galcom two cruisers and around four fighters, came and destroyed galcom, which I thought was really cool seeing that happen.

My point is npc ships basicly cant do as much as they could before, and mainly serv as target pratic now.

I was thinking maybe the pta systems could be dumbd down for npc ships, so it's still very chalangeing to the player, but would make it possible for npc ships to stand a chance againts stations?

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Well the problem with how it's current setup is the universe lost the dynamic feel it had, I used to like going thro a system only to come back a couple hours later and find the station was destroyed, that doesnt happen anymore npc ships no matter the type get destroeyd before they leave hyperspace.

Il elaborate, I started a new game once about 10 minutes after launching from galcom two cruisers and around four fighters, came and destroyed galcom, which I thought was really cool seeing that happen.

My point is npc ships basicly cant do as much as they could before, and mainly serv as target pratic now.

I was thinking maybe the pta systems could be dumbd down for npc ships, so it's still very chalangeing to the player, but would make it possible for npc ships to stand a chance againts stations?

The state of stations has NOTHING to do with the game's dynamics.

If you don't like it, use the 1.0.05 compliance patch and pipe down already. Thats why you have a choice. Then there's always GBS-II.

And I have no intentions of ruining my game's balance by making concessions for player vs NPCs. You must be thinking of another game. In the BC games, player or NPC, it makes no difference; every entity gets treated the same.

[ 03-03-2002, 14:37: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 2 years later...

I have had a station launch them at me, but I used the EMD so they didn't get me.

I have a related question (still learning posting). When you destroy a station, it changes to your caste/race. You can't capture an ODS, I think, correct me if I am wrong, but you can destroy it. Is there anything you can do about supply stations, I haven't been able to capture or destroy them.

Then when I re-enter the the area I always get a flashing CAS light. I never know if a clocked ship is around, or if it's the supply station. Does anyone have a solution on how to capture or destroy a supply station?

[ 07-21-2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Stardate ]

I agree with Dredd, I find station capture not that difficult, most of the time. The ODS is easier, just takes longer. Trying to take over a Military base on a planet without OTS weapons is very hard for me, I haven't been able to do it yet.

To me, the game is good as it is. Not everyone will be happy with everything. Some people will think one mission is too hard and another mission is too easy.

You want difficult?

Attack a station using an non-upgraded cruiser

Trust me, it's very difficult. You pretty much have to GUESS where the blind spot is (then again, it's easy for me now)

Keep in mind, just because you're cloaked doesn't mean you can't be hit

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Stardate:

Trying to take over a Military base on a planet without OTS weapons is very hard for me, I haven't been able to do it yet.

That's prolly because you can't take over ground bases. You can raze and destroy the base, then occupy the smouldering rubble and pitted, radioactive earth, but that's about it.

Maybe one day Derek will activate starbase capture, but it ain't gonna be today.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Maybe one day Derek will activate starbase capture, but it ain't gonna be today.

Its at the very bottom of my UCHTL todo list actually. Hope I find time to actually do it.

Kalshion, I know I can make it a lot harder. Thats my point. All on your own you can make starbase capture not to difficult or almost impossible, depending on how you attempt it. I am Happy with things the way they are.