Favorite Command Craft

Gallion

Urza hit me up for this poll but this poll will also serve two purposes:

1. Will give me and other GBS-II scriptors data that used in our script developement Something to do with HJ and mission times

2. General FYI wrt the most popular CC of BCM players

[ 03-07-2002, 21:06: Message edited by: Gallion ]

FireStorm and Questar..

Really, if you're using a carrier asset, you'll rely on fighters for cover most of the time.

As for the Questar, it's sleek, fast, and packs a punch too.

Sunflash definately. A merc's gotta have a combination of speed and firepower. Great hyperjump engines for those escapes along with plenty of turrets for taking down big carriers. This is the Millenium Falcon of ships.

Don't know about the colors Ep5, peruse Infopop and let us know

quote:

Next is favorite fighter I believe?

Naaaaahhh, don't care for peashooters personally but ye never know

Interesting standing in the polls at this moment. I didn't think that the Megaron had such a strong following

I'll divulge my choices and the reason why when the poll ends

TTFN

Heheh,

Megaron rules, it's fast, has 4 main guns, has lots of turrets, it's as close as you can get to a Sunflash with fighters.

(Now, if you could only get the thing to hyperjump out of it's own way! lol)

I'm also surprised, I didn't think that many others liked the Sunflash!

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

quote:

Next is favorite fighter I believe?

Naaaaahhh, don't care for peashooters personally but ye never know

Peashooters? I destroyed a whole station with a P-21 Vandal once!

quote:

Originally posted by Sunanta:

I'm not really at all surprised by the Megaron's results; its by far and away the best heavy carrier except for its ground assets...

Yeah,

I'd like to have a BCMk2 though, with all guns and turrets of the megaron. THe Mk2 just looks so darned sweet.

Mk3 isn't too bad either, but I can't help but think of the 'Tiger's Claw' from Wing Commander when I see it heheh.

Really, I've grown quite fond of several of the ships in the game. Starwarrior is nice, best main gun grouping I've seen yet.

Idaho

Megaron all the way. It's the best carrier, and i've said that ever since I tried it. Just look at the stats on the appendix, and you'll see why it's the best. Super carriers may be stronger, but they cant get the best upgrades, so the megaron ends up being more powerful, faster, etc, just with less fighters.

Megaron as well, here. For a number of reasons.

Speed. The speed is rather high, for a carrier class. You can get up to 1250 mps. This means no problems chasing other carriers, and no problems leaving planets. Many a cruiser has dogfought me and lost, despite the general rule that cruisers can fly circles around carriers. You just have to know how to triangulate direction, where to feint, and when to "punch it."

Shielding. The shields are quite strong on a standard Megaron (3750).

Storage Capacity. With the Megaron's large cargo capacity (7500 each for cargo, 2500 each for weapons), you've got room to spare to repair any damage that actually does get past the superb shielding. With two day's research, I've made a spare parts acquisition plan that involves every kind of part required to repair any system except the logistics, nav, and tac computers, at least once. This includes the four FCs, the four SC, two of the four OCs, plus life support units for these ten craft mentioned, and all the myriad engine, weapons, reactors and shield CC components, some of which are quite large. And I can replace any CC system if needed, with the one exception of the solar reactor.

{For some reason, the solar reactor, which is enormous, wants to be stowed in Cargo Bay 1. This is strange, I thought, since the nuclear reactor and most any CC replacement part would go in Cargo Bay 2. Go figure.}

Cloaking. As a carrier, the Megaron has a cloaking system. {As a note, contradictory to the manual, the green end is by 100% and the red end is by 0% -- go figure.}

Upgradeability. The Megaron is upgradeable to the highest possible standards, including to artifact level.

Turrets. The Megaron has four very close together main turrets located just under the bow. Even a Stormcarrier will not last 10 seconds under a direct barrage by the main guns. The PTA turrets number 10 in the appendix, but 5 are clearly visible, including one directly to the stern. Facing any target and a little downwards, two PTA turrets fire simultaneously. At other angles, up to three PTA turrets will fire simultaneously at any target, so by the time you need to face that annoying fighter craft, he might just be almost gone already.

FCs. Two super fighters and two heavy fighters will accompany you in your galactic crusade. I've not lost one yet, and the Zenstars haven't even been damaged. As a note, it seems that PTA turrets sometimes have a hard time firing on a Zenstar fighter craft.

SCs. Two Mk2s and two Mk3s will be at your disposal for all your towing needs. They can go up to 2150 mps and 2200 mps, respectively. I've not found any craft that can outmaneuver the towing vengeance of these four shuttles, short of HJ'ing straight into a fluxfield (the AI doesn't like fluxfields), which hasn't happened yet. Even fighters inside stations aren't immune (bug?).

OCs. If you play smart and keep your hiney low, you can sneak in one of these fast-moving HAV or LAV vessels behind enemy base lines to lay waste to installations and craft. No usable missles, but strangely enough you can load them up with missles anyway, or unload them (sell the missles that come with them!).

Research. With a Research Engineer that you wouldn't have on a Cruiser, you can use artifacts.

That's the best CC for me. As for the best caste, without a doubt Insurgent is it. All the benefits of Strategic Command without the hassles of Violations. Imagine -- a fleet with R.A.N.D.O.M. missles.

Bowemeth

[ 03-09-2002, 12:15: Message edited by: Bowemeth ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

I chose the Firestorm and Spacestar. I like big ships with lots of weapons.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The Megaron is also physically larger than the Firestorm.

Bowemeth,

I like the Megaron.

But in defense of cruisers:

Send your fighters at me in my Sunflash. I'll show you some very dead fighters.

If I decide to kill something you want to protect: Good luck getting there before I'm done killing it. (Although if it was MP, player controlled fighters would be a threat to me).

If I come after you and do you damage, you better have HSD, or you ain't getting away. Jump, and I'll be waiting at the other end every time. (Of course, you DO have cloak, so even there you're not really in trouble).

But yes, I've been thinking my next character will have the Megaron. I've been avoiding it since I started messing with the Sunflash. At first, I wouldn't use Cruiser's because they didn't get most of the artifacts.

Now, travelling in a carrier reminds me of taking a long train trip. I keep checking my watch.

Here's a plus you didn't mention that is good about the Megaron: Intruder's aren't much of a worry, as they are on a Sunflash with only 5 marines of your own. (Mine die at an average rate of 3 a day). Gotta love those red shirts!

For the record: Turrets are doubled. 10 turrets on the Megaron, look close at the turrets, 2 guns in each. Thought you'd like to know.

Take care, Bowemeth.

Idaho

quote:

No usable missles, but strangely enough you can load them up with missles anyway, or unload them (sell the missles that come with them!).

I've been wondering about this also.On page 69 (go figure)of the fine manual it clearly states that:

"armed OC can carry up to 10 all purpose Radix stand -off missiles.these can be used for air or ground tagets."

but I have yet to figure out how to fire them.

quote:

If I decide to kill something you want to protect: Good luck getting there before I'm done killing it. (Although if it was MP, player controlled fighters would be a threat to me). [[big Grin]]

If I come after you and do you damage, you better have HSD, or you ain't getting away. Jump, and I'll be waiting at the other end every time. (Of course, you DO have cloak, so even there you're not really in trouble). [[Wink]]

I'm really anxious to see how well the Megaron will do against a Sunflash in MP !!

MP is gonna be SOOO Kewl!!!

Kinda gives ya goose bumps all over just thinkin' about it huh?