Ship Names

IceCold

All,

I have come across some interesting ship names throughout the forum and am interested in the ones I do not yet know. (my fascination with the unknown)

My vessel is the

GCV Indomitable

I like the British sound of invincibility and the HMS Indomitable had a fine service herself (GCV Invincible seemed to be too inviting a name if you know what I mean)

[ 11-25-2002, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: IceCold ]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grayfox

didnt the british name their support craft after something akin to the mother ship (dont laugh).

IE:HMS Battle axe would be the name of the Frigate or destroyer and the hatchet would be the name of the chopper or similar support craft...

just curious if you intend on doing the same.

before i was a jarhead, my CC was named the menalaus. but since i have become a marine, i decided to adopt the name to my OC instead.

i was gonna name my CC the agamemmnon, but that name was overused, so instead i used the name of king agamemmnon's brother (and just as much of a badass) king menelaus. if you dont know who either are, menelaus was married to helen, who was kidnapped by the trojans (not the condoms or the college team) and taken back to troy to marry Paris.

Menalaus in a rage musters his army and his brother musters his (including the hero achilles) and they sail for troy and fight the trojans... you want the full beef, read the iliad

menelaus was a bad ass so thats why i use the name.

my lil bit o history for my craft.

You can ckeck out the definiton here at Dictonary.com

I wanted to convey the idea of being a protector or a shield against the enemy, and the fact that I'm willing to take the hits to protect them.

To kind of be the impenetrable wall between friend and foe. [though I've got my arse blasted to bits quite a few times ]

Cheers!

I've named my ship the Red Star in respect for my love. Her first name is Okcate which means Red, and being as my ship sails through the stars, I named her the Red Star. After all, every warrior (whether it be chair or whatever) has to honor someone.

Fear it, because that red is definitly the last thing you'll see in a fight with me.

Guest Remo Williams

My ship is named after the Carrier USS Lexington. Which was commissioned for duty in 1943 during WWII. The USS Lexington was in every major battle in the pacific.

The GCV-Lexington will carry on this tradition in MP. You can read about the USS Lexington's history here.

Let me direct your attention to Exhibit A and Exhibit B for some old-school discussion on this.

I don't know where I got Supremacy from. I guess I made it up on the fly, because it sounded cool, and wasn't taken by someone else at the time. (Cross referenced the Fleet DB back then.) I mean, I've had to change ship names a couple of times. (Started with Outlaw Star, which was unregistered because I registered multiple ships back then when multi-AEs weren't allowed. Moved on to Dark Outlaw as a second choice. Converted to Police, and used the White Eagle. Recruited to Orion Fleet, commanding the ever-vigilant GCV-Supremacy.)

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

if you dont know who either are, menelaus was married to helen, who was kidnapped by the trojans (not the condoms or the college team) and taken back to troy to marry Paris.

Menalaus in a rage musters his army and his brother musters his (including the hero achilles) and they sail for troy and fight the trojans... you want the full beef, read the iliad

menelaus was a bad ass so thats why i use the name.

my lil bit o history for my craft.

Yep, But then didnt Achilles die from an arrow to the heel, and then Odysseus came up with the idea to use a horse to hold all the men, then they went into the city of Troy and killed all of the men? Then didn't Odysseus brag that he conquered Troy alone making Poseidon mad and then make him go on a 20 year quest to get home fighting Cyclopses and Scyllia the six headed snake thing? And doing all of this to get home to his wife Penelope and his son Talemachos in Ithica. And then kill everyone at the end in a big bloody death trap.

I think i have studied too much for history last marking period.

PS My ships name is Xenocide because i wanna be like Ender and kill all of the little Buggers in the BCM galaxy.

PPS I wonder if any of you even knew what i said if you didnt already skip all i wrote.

PPPS Agamemmnon is a much better sounding name.

PPPPS ALMOST TO 200 POSTS. Then i get to change my quote again.

[ 11-26-2002, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: TheBunny ]

Names I have used playing:

Camhanach (later Anglicized to Cavanagh): means "Daybreak" in Welsh or Celtic, I think.

Aurora Dawn: there's something poetic about it. Auroras are phenomena of great power and beauty (a.k.a. Northern or Southern Lights), and dawn often symbolizes hope.

Shon'jir: the name of a Mri poem of great cultural significance; if curious read The Faded Sun trilogy by C. J. Cherryh (who incidentally also wrote the story I got the name "Camhanach" from).

quote:

Shon'jir

From Dark beginning

To Dark at ending,

Between them a Sun,

But after comes Dark,

And in that Dark,

One ending.

From Dark to Dark

Is one voyage.

From Dark to Dark

Is our voyage.

And after the Dark,

O brothers, O sisters,

Come we home.

I used the "Rights of Man" ripped right out of BILLY BUD, a Herman Melville novel. The "Rights of Man" was the merchant ship in the beginning of the story, from which Billy Bud is recruited. It symbolized, oddly enough, the natural rights of man. I like it, and its a good name for a merchant ship, and I have never seen anyone else with that ship name.

If you want more information on BILLY BUD, go to a public library and check it out. It's sort of a Jesus story.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Yep, But then didnt Achilles die from an arrow to the heel, and then Odysseus came up with the idea to use a horse to hold all the men, then they went into the city of Troy and killed all of the men? Then didn't Odysseus brag that he conquered Troy alone making Poseidon mad and then make him go on a 20 year quest to get home fighting Cyclopses and Scyllia the six headed snake thing? And doing all of this to get home to his wife Penelope and his son Talemachos in Ithica. And then kill everyone at the end in a big bloody death trap.

I think i have studied too much for history last marking period.

i dont think the made for tv movie would qualify as history... since achilles was still alive at the end of the iliad, and the reason odyseus was at sea for so long, was not because he bragged, but because he killed polyphemus, neptunes son. also in the odyssey, it didnt really go into much detal about the trojan horse either or into achilles death.

and one final note... scylla did not have 6 heads in the odyssey, she only had 1. in the tv movie she had 6.

the made for tv movie was alot different than the book...shouldnt be used as a "historical" referrance

ok lets swing this back on topic.

[ 11-26-2002, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

• 2 weeks later...