Ship Names

IceCold

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the name Myrmidon from the game Freespace II, which gets all its Terran ship names from greek mythology, its Vasudan ship names from Egyptian religion and Shivan ship names from Hindu religion.

Myrmidon in greek legend, is any inhabitant of Phthiotis in Thessaly.

P.S. Epsilon 5, the SSD Executor is only 8 km long according to X-Wing Alliance and I think also the SW website.

argh! can't resist!

using this pic (and a few others) thet determined the executor to be 17.6km in lenght, although games such as Xwing vs tie fighter : Balance of Power showed it as around 8km.

so to compare ... click here

The Executor's bridge tower is bigger than the entreprise-d itself.

[ 12-30-2002, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Mine is a tribute to Citadel Station, from System Shock. I would have used the Rickenbacker, but I wanted something more original (and I now see that it is taken...Ullman, have you played the original?). It should come as no surprise that I've replaced the default Mother AI with SHODAN.

I have a few other names. Apart from the GCV Twilight, they tend to be references to System Shock, Thief, and CJ Cherryh's Compact Space books (and I see another fan...Joel, have you read The Pride Of Chanur? I think it's even better than Faded Sun).

BTW, Dragon Lady: I like the ship names, especially Black Revenge. Wish I'd thought of that one

First I had the GCV Fedaykin ... adopted from Frank Herbert's DUNE (to which im proud to say i own and have read the whole series of novels and understood them. I think. ).

My current ship, GCV Usagi, I decided to take after I read a tale (for children) from Japan. I decided the name was more fitting name for my ship, based on what I wanted to do as part of Wraith. Long story short, the name means "Rabbit", and the story was about a town about to be wiped out as they were cought between 2 warring factions doing battle in their back yard. The story goes a child asked the gods to help... and a rabbit heard the plea and took it on itself to help.. so it went to each warring camp during the night, chewed the soldier's armor, bowstrings, spearpoles, horse reins, etc etc.. so the next day when they were about to fight, their weapons broke, armor fell off, cavalry could not command their horses. And so the town was saved.

And what the rabbit did is akin to Wraith's mission as a special ops fleet. Small, effective, decisive. Warm and Fuzzy are just there to fool the rest

Back in BC3K, I used to name my CC as "GCV-Adrasta". The name was taken from an old StarWars-like comic I had read.

When I came back to BCM, I used something related to my nickname origins. APOLLO was originally the God of Light and Music in Ancient Greek Mythology, and his favourite instrument was the Lyra. (I think there's a star constellation called "Lyra", too). I happen to be a proffessional mucisian among others, so I chose to be APOLLO and named my ship as GCV-LYRA.

This whole thing somehow reminds me a scene from Ghostbuster's where Gozer, a Soumerian God, was asking Ray:

Gozer: "Are you a God?"

Ray: "No..."

Gozer: "Then... DIE!!!"

As Wenkman concluded (in the movie, ofcourse): "when someone asks you if you're a god, say yes! YES!!!"

How I named my ship...

hmmm... every Cloud has a "Silver Lining" ;-)

And I like to shout, as in track by Jeff Beck, "Hi Ho Silver Lining" when I'm out to kill Gams .

• 3 weeks later...

The ICV-Melissa X is named after a very special and influencial girl I used to know. The number denotes reincarnations (i.e. X signifies the tenth ship in the series, yes, I died ten times before becoming consistent )

Like most of you, I've grown weary of overused names, and put a little thought into my ships name.

My ship in most campaigns has been the Futeki, which is Japanese for 'Intrepid', or 'fearless'. I picked that after realizing I could have the name Intrepid without actually using the word.

I've noticed most of you picked fairly unusual names for your ships, and find that to be pretty cool.

Idaho

Guest Grayfox

quote:

First I had the GCV Fedaykin...

ahhh yes. the fedaykin were definitely bad asses. that name would fit a marine MAU ship perfectly seeing as how the marines are the elite bodyguards of the fleet proper

ive only reached the second book in the series, and im working on the third starting tomorrow

The Suicidal Insanity.

Heh. I've got a little story behind mine. It's refered to only once in the book, The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Any game where I could name my ships, the strongest ship (ie, my flag ship) was always called the Suicidal Insanity. It started as a joke, but grew to a tradition, which I continued in BCM.

/Stad

• 2 weeks later...

My original AE was Randalf Carter of HP Lovecraft's The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath fame and the ship (a Jenstar and later a Questar) was the UCV-Kadath.

When I joined GalCom, I took up my real name of Tyrn Marcel and took command of a newly commissioned Megaron, the GCV-Falcon. I've always been partial to raptors and while eagles (especially harpy eagles) are my favorites, GCV-Falcon carries a bit more appeal than the GCV-Harpy.

PS

There is the possibility that the GCV-Falcon might be recommissioned in the near future but that's another story.

• 1 month later...

Cool thread - very interesting, and very funky names.

Mine is the "Claws Unsheathed" - a Vesperon Firestorm sent out to secure Procyon for the proposed F06 by-pass (though it seems a lot of effort to skip one wormhole - but hey, who am I to argue with Canaan?).

My Terran Military Megaron (yes, I am very fond of turrets. ) is the "Loyal Judas".

My Gammulan raider (which doesn't exist yet - I want to explore the other side first) will be the "Lonely Death". Unless I forget that one and think of something else, which is likely.

I always make my own names up, even if they have an influence - someone has to or there will be nothing to be influenced by.

• 4 weeks later...

I VLAD the RAIDER have had several ships many being destrayed ive had several named GCV-TEKTONIC GCV-STARCHILD GCV-PLAYBOY (Liked that one a lot)but my most loyal and still running ship is the GCV-FERREA which is Latin for Iorn Maiden. Shes my Steel Lady, my Good ol iorn sides. Drenched in blood and Laser burns I Love her and shees always goen me out of the SEVERAL INCIDENTS ive had. BTW I was talking about the GCV-Starchild on the STUPIDITY FORUM.

Here are the names of all the ships I ever had in bcm: Albion, Intrepid, Abhorrent, Dauntless, Hornet, Dual, Buster, Blitz, Ageis, Strike, and finally my current raider ship: The Rack n' Ruin!

• 4 weeks later...

"I set a course just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus.

Flew into the light of Deneb, sailed across the Milky Way.

On my ship, the Rocinante , wheeling through the galaxies,

Headed for the heart of Cygnus, headlong into mystery."

I robbed the name for my ship from the song Cygnus X-1 by Rush.

The name of the ship has always stuck with me.

My ship name has a weird history behind it. I got it from a series of 7 books I read a while back. The background of this series is that in the not too distant future(sometime after WW3 brings an end to technology and a rise of magic and medival thought again), there were two powerful races at war(the only 2 races that can use Rune magic, the magic of probabilities). One race(the Sartan) destroyed earth and turned it into four separate worlds of each element(Air, Fire, Stone and Water). They then cast the other demigod race into a Labyrnth prison world in order to teach them a lesson. In the end, the people(known as Patryns) only learned hate and anger, for the Labyrnth became a death trap full of hideous creatures all wanting to kill, instead of a 'classroom'. Their time in the prison gave them hightened instinct and a combined strength and loyalty unknown to them before the world was destroyed.

I like to think that my ship holds the collective power of a crew that has the strength to keep fighting and an unending loyalty to one another. The sheer size and power of my Stormcarrier represents the strength burning deep inside every one of my crew members.

[ 05-28-2003, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr Dowding ]