Ship Names

IceCold

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't remember if I ever posted why I named my ship Swiftsure in this thread, but I don't think I did. Originally it was because I read it in the Star Trek novel Spock's World and thought it was cool. Only after some internet searching did I find out that she was the class ship of some of the Royal Navy's attack submarines, a light cruiser in WWII, a 74 that fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, and a ship that fought the Spanish Armada in 1588. Quite a lineage for a ship. I didn't realize it at the time, but I picked a wonderful name to carry into the 31st century.

my ship....GCV Havana, of course. Although given my anti-establishment bent, I'm thinking that i'm playing for the wrong team. sounds like the insurgent group are the right choice for me. Damn, and i blew up two of their star stations already.

Mine is GCV Akula. Akula is the Russian word for shark.

In the west Akula is used to refer to the current main SSN used by Russia, mainly because NATO ran out of the other designations they were using (Alfa, Yankee, Sierra, Foxtrot, etc).

In Russia however, Akula is the name given to (what we call) the Typhoon class SSBN.

I occasionally use GCV Yoroi-doshi, a Japanese short sword designed specifically for piercing armor, a variant of it is used for formal Seppuku.

Wow!!! It's been a LONG time since I've been on the board.

I named my ship GCV - "Sojourner Truth". Named after a former slave. She became nationally known as an advocate for equality and justice. There is a house named after her on the main campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (where I was born and raised).

Great names out there, all!

• 3 weeks later...

GCV-Vigilance

In Orion Fleet my ship borders Insurgent Space, so I kind of wanted something that meant that I was guarding, etc. Just check out synonymns for Vigilance:

accuity, alertness, attention, attentiveness, caution, circumspection, diligence, lookout, observance, surveillance, vigil, watch, watchfulness

And Vigilant was taken by someone a while back I think...

I always name my ship the StarGazer. It was the first starship Capt. Picard(Star Trek) had as a captain. There was an episode where the Kolromi war strategist, they guy that played 'strategema' with Riker and Data, used the StarGazer as the opposing vessel during wargames with the enterprise.

My name, StarRider, comes from a song by the Rock Group 'Foriegner', the song 'StarRider'.

It was a late 70's hit. It was a song on their debut album. "StarRider, Rider, Rider, Take me to the stars"...

• 3 weeks later...

I spent ages trying to think for a name, just sat there at the screen thinking.... hmmm... and who DIDNT name their ship Enterprise for the first few missions??? I realised that was probably taken by about a few hundred other people so i couldnt keep it long... thats when i thought... again.

GSV-Steakandchips pulled out of its berth and began its voyage!

Guest Grayfox

well, mine is the Menelaus. Menelaus was Agamemmnons brother and the husband of Helen who was kidnapped by paris to start the trojan war yadda yadda yadaa.

in the iliad, menelaus was a badass, he fought alongside his countrymen, and fought the mighty hector and would have won if not for divine intervention.

such a tough ship (or OC in my case) deserves such a name. either that or mjolnir... but i figured id stick with the menelaus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No problem if the name is already taken by another player..... unless maybe if you join a fleet or a MP session.....

BTW your avatar is a personalized one for Cmdr De Sylva..... I advise you to choose another one before one of the adms or mods notice that...

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

No problem if the name is already taken by another player..... unless maybe if you join a fleet or a MP session.....

BTW your avatar is a personalized one for Cmdr De Sylva..... I advise you to choose another one before one of the adms or mods notice that...

funny thing. I picked this avatar from the forum's pool. I knew I should have picked a custom one....

You can recognize them by the name of the file.... and if I remember correctly there is a message in the profile setting where you can choose the avatar that warn you about this thing...

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

You can recognize them by the name of the file.... and if I remember correctly there is a message in the profile setting where you can choose the avatar that warn you about this thing...

right! now I saw it..., it's fixed.