Scary things the AI does

Thomas Braun

What's the scariest thing you've ever seen the AI do?

For me, I assaulted a trader city with a raider Sunflash. After annihalting most of the city, I landed and jumped out. To my surprise, a trader marine was already hovering outside my ship with a rocket launcher! When I popped out, I took off with the jet pack and he started trying to shoot my ae. Finally I killed him with the laser rifle. It amused me. I'd never actually been directly attacked by a marine before.

For me, it would probably be the time that I took out another Firestorm, but two of its Ravens escaped. I thought that they had fled, but they ambushed my ship as I approached the jump point. They launched their missiles as I emerged from hyperspace and then rammed my ship. They were both destroyed, but my Firestorm was so crippled that there was no choice but to self-destruct.

• 2 weeks later...

AI doesn't do scary, but nice things, also...

Until recently I was convinced that my crewmembers's AI was been utilised only to their assigned jobs. Fortunately I was wrong.

Once upon a time, I sent a shuttle through a fluxfield that was leading to a BH among other destinations. I did it considering that instead of destroying my CC and killing all onboard (including my AE), a shuttle's and a marine's loss was acceptable. So I sent that shuttle first and it passed to the other side, fortunately not a BH. I sent it a new "JUMP through FLX-x" command, and guess what?

My "obedient" marine drove the shuttle right in front of the FLX and then stopped!!! "No I won't pass", he said!!!

Anyway, after giving the same order five times with the same result I decided to jump through the FLX with my CC.

"Black Hole???"

BOOOOM

That marine refused to jump through the FLX again because he knew exactly what was waiting him on the other side!!!

I crosschecked it later when a similar situation occured: I set AI AP on my CC and jumped through an other FLX. When I decided to jump again, My VIDEO tab suddenly showed "NO TARGET" although my CC was right in front of the FLX. The CC wouldn't jump! When I switched to manual and designated that FLX again...

"Black Hole???"

BOOOOM

Listen to you crew! They seem to know more that you could ever imagine...

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

I believe that AI entities are not allowed to enter flux fields.

That's what I knew until I discovered they can. How?

I just issued the order and the shuttle just... jumped!

The same happened also, when I gave the same order to my CC while it was under AI control.

I have recently done a clean BCM install and patched 1.008RC23 and RC32 (RC33 isn't out yet as I've seen) so, any possible glitch is out of the question...

Yeah, I've noticed that AI controlled shuttle sometimes jumps through the flx when given fly-to order. I don't think that the guys inside know where does the current anomaly lead, because I saw them doing it (jumping or refusing to do so) with the flx-06, which has no bh exit point. But I still think it's strange.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

ahhhh yes... didnt we have this discussion before???

theres lots of times when the AI does creepy stuff, like remove your reactor and shove it into a shuttle... or break out of the detention hold unarmed with 4 marines guarding him, killing 2 then running thru the ship... or watching enemy ships try to ram you (that was different) or when resnig of all people repels intruders that gain access to the bridge...

yes indeed the ai does some crazy stuff.

One time I jumped into Polaris-1 and found a stationary shuttle floating in orbit around the planet. Further inspection revealed that a hostile (can't remember the race/castes of either, sry) spacemarine(!) was crouching on the outside of the hull, on the angled part around the upper left side of the hull. Scans reveled nothing about the contents of the shuttle, so I proceeded to fly right up to it. I hopped out as me A.E. and, after floating a little closer, unloaded on him, and with the first shot, he jumped off the hull and took off like a bat out of hell, supposedly making for the planet, but his trajectory was more tangental like, anyways, I hop into my shuttle I had nearby and proceeded to chase. I caught up, got out and fired on the marine and killed him. I went back, towed the shuttle in, and didn't check to see if I got any EP. I just have to wonder; what was that soldier doing? Maybe I'll never know, and this A.I. can be scary...

• 2 months later...

OMG IM PISSED!!!!! THE AI TRICKED THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!

I was flying around alpha centauri and I see a cargo pod floating for nop reason. YAY leftovers :does happy dance: so I send a Shuttle over there as soon as the shuttle picks it up. Two X-22 AROURAS APPEAR IN FRONT OF IT and ANNIALATE MY SHUTTLE AND TARGET ME.. I saved the game and came here to complain/compliment Shuttles are VERY EXPENSIVE! Its cool that the AI is that deceving though oh well I guess its back to the mines to get me a shuttle and a replacement marine just thought id tell you dont get loose cargo pods

I was attacking an enemy station, figured I'd cloak and go in, pound them into submission and dock. Simple enough right? No way!!!

I was coming in about 11 O'Clock from the station and banging away at it when all of a sudden it started shooting ALL OVER THE PLACE 2 missiles wizzed by almost hitting me and another one scored a direct hit. All of a sudden, cloak went down, sheilds down EVERYTHING DOWN.... I'm dead in space.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!

Ya you find fast that stations rip ya to shreds. Ive been too chicken to try takin one without cloaking. But some I know of seem to have blind spots in their defensive grid. I know some NPC's attacking stations manage to get quite close until they are blasted when they move out of the safe zone. But ive never been attacked while cloaked..........

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

The scariest thing i ever saw was how my combat officer and 2 marines killed about 12 enemy marines, then i thought i was dreaming so i RANDOMed the planet

LOL!!!

Im wondering whats going on its either an AI problem or an effect I dont know. I parked my CC on the moon and got on a shuttle to go buy some replacement parts as I was RTB base when I noticed the shield status of my CC was fluxing so I TacOPS my other fighters to deploy, and the pilots were instantly killed then when I got back to my ship it was EXTREMELY DAMAGED VERY MUCH more so than before . It was not near an enemy base the closest one being 1290.00 I have no clue how or why this is. Please someone explain it to me.. Luckily I saved it before this damage was incurred.

quote:

Originally posted by Raider/Pirate VLAD:

so I TacOPS my other fighters to deploy, and the pilots were instantly killed then when I got back to my ship it was EXTREMELY DAMAGED VERY MUCH more so than before

And the AI Said

quote:

Quoted from VLAD's AI:

While you were away, I sent in some intruders to booby trap your flight deck, then I sent them around the ship, detonating explosives everywhere they went, Wahahaha Unfortunately, your Marines killed my intruders before you came back , but at least I showed you who can be REALLY Evil, while cloaked in the shadows

Well that sucks the moons going BYE BYE now. Ill show them whos BOSS!!! Aholes they shall all die I will not rest until not a hair on their heads is left floating in this universe! they will all DIE!! EVERYONE!!! NOT A SOUL WILL BE SPARED!!!!

I've done that before...what if sounds like is a nonperfect landing that leaves your CC 'sliding' around and taking damage. I've also found that trying to launch support craft at 0 altitude tends to send them into the ground at Mach 3, with predictable results.

• 2 years later...

DOHETH....BEEN SOO LONG SINCE IVE POSTED....ITS VLAD BACK...FORGOT MY LOGGIN E-MAIL ADDY SO I GOT A NEW ONE...I just had this happen again. My ship wasnt moveing and I was forced to watch as my ship slowly lost life and boom...GD it Dust Covered Restore button hit.. WHY THE F is it doing this only on certain Planets