UKNOWN CONTACT...

nasos073

Yesterday, during the TOD3/1 Mission (as far as I can remember), I encounered two Insurgent Fighters tagged as TER/INS UKNOWN CONTACT!

These guys were very, very smart and they seemed to be able to avoid every missile attack (with EMD ofcourse).

Later, in DARAIN region, while we were assistng the Credians having trouble with an Insurgent covert fleet, me and another TER/MIL carrier, realised that a cloaked ship was in the area, just watching. So, I launched probes in the entire TRENIS system. Eventually, he had to uncloak for a few seconds. What a surprise! A ZEL/MIL UKNOWN CONTACT!!

Again!!!

After a fast visual scan, before he cloaked once again, I identified the shape of a Firestorm Carrier.

I suspect he's the one who beamed 5 intruders in my ship. But, as allways, they became light breacfast for my marines. But...

...that @#$%!&* seems to be following me wherever I go! If I ever have him in main guns range... I'm gonna vaporise him!!!

Anyway... if anyone has encountered them before, I'll be much greatfull if he tells me his opinion about it...

I encountered them in the ROAM part of the game. Right after I entered Gammy space. And yes there marked as unknown only the ones I encountered at being marked as Gam/Mil UNKNOWN CONTACT..

I can be sure that this is NOT part of the roam part of the game.. im sure of that so im wondering if I triggered something while ingame

I 've started wondering if they are those high AI entities SC was talking about, considering that they mostly remain cloaked. I've also met 3 insurgent capital ships marked as TER/INS UNKNOWN CONTACT. They were planing to capture STARPATH but their appetite was suddenly cut...

...maybe because I showed up in MARS!

I think I found a way to destroy those cloaked ships that are tracking you. Just press&hold retro-rockets and fire button. When they will try to follow you, they will be destroyed by your main gun's fire. There was another way to engage them in 1.0.07 (using combined FATAL & EMD systems), but .08 patches disabled this. So there's only firing blind left.

Mihau, this tactic you mentioned above seems to be enough logical. Although they can't be seen, they can be taken down, since they will try to pursue me. As they will be following my flight pattern in order to get a clean shot, it's very, very possible to hit them enough to disable their cloaking systems and then... BOOM!

I've also seen Resnig(!) take control of the main guns and shoot to nowhere, when AI is enabled and a cloaked ship is in the area. Does he know something I don't... yet?

Anyway, blind or not, it's worth a try. Thanks Cmdr once more!

Last time I had Resnig take control of my guns we where docked in Galcom HQ and he got ahold of firing control and fired a nice big hole into the launch bay doors.. lucky thing the Supreme Commander wasn't there or else I would've gotten into big trouble... lucky thing is when it fire the controls exploded on him, so he had to be rushed to medical iwth 3rd degree burns I've seen kept him locked up in a cage and only release'd him when I have intruders on board *Ever seen a squad of 6 intruders run like hell?*

I don't know... he started firing at something in the jumpgate... or the jumpgate itself?

I've seen him in battle too and he allways follows the book. I should talk to him and make him see that following the book isn't allways the right way to take an enemy ship down.

"Resnig, come to my office immediately! We have a little conversation to make, son."

As to the tactics I've mentioned before...

I've seen what those cloaked bastards do. I used combined FATAL and EMD - assign a missile to a target, and then not allow it to launch using the jammer. This yellow FATAL box was in the hud even when the target disappeared (unfortunately it's no more possible ). Those cloaked ships were making typical attack patterns, but without shooting. Stupid, isn't it? So going reverse on full throttle usually made them follow my ship. I didn't even have to aim to fire accurately.

I haven't tried to let the AI control the ship yet; I guess the crew can see more than me. Will try it soon.

I've met those unknown contacts before. Mine was a Gal/Mil. I think these definitly are the high AI dudes that the SC talks about. At any rate, they're a pain in the ass. Out of pure luck the guy fled (or so I think, he cloaked and I haven't seen him since) after I bouted with him for about 20-25 minutes. Way too long, I'm suprised a battle between two ships could last that long, much less a carrier and a questar (me). I took some heavy damage too, but I survived.

I was using my tactic of fire and evade. I try to get my ship perpendicular to my opponent then let loose the gods of war. Before colliding, or if they make a sudden turn, I quickly evade all fire (if possible), and start a new run. Not a single one of my missles hit this guy... Good Luck at disposing your headache, make sure you keep a backup of the save .

I have to say that I have encounetered 3 GAM/MIL cruisers also, marked as UNKNOWN CONTACT. They were patrolling the Falkerie homeworld. The thing that surprised me was that the first I encountered, pointed his guns on me 1 second after I exited the fluxfield! The good news? He had no chance of survival when I started dogfighting with him. Yes, it's true, a Nightstar CAN dogfight!!! No PAD, no artifacts, just pure conventional heavy firepower!

AFAIR, SC talked about those high AI entities while discussing supernova regions. I use them as a place where my crew gains experience - I leave my bc for a night in such region, and when I wake up in the morning, they're a bit smarter. So far I haven't noticed any ship there so far, and never my ship was destroyed. However once in Krystar I saw (yeah, saw - I couldn't get it on the radar) a ship of a strange design, which suddenly appeared in front of me. I tried to shoot at it, but I missed. Guess it was very far away, and besides it was really huge. Of course it disappeared after a while. Anybody have an idea what that could be? And don't tell me it was an 'UFO'

quote:

Originally posted by mihau:

...a ship of a strange design...

...really huge...

...I tried to shoot at it, but I missed.

What class of ship did you have in command when this... ...showed up? This could help the rest of us in the estimation of the unknown ship's dimensions.

Did you try to identify that ship's design in the appendix? If it doesn't match with anything, we 're dealing with an unidentified class of ships, maybe an entire new race.

Entire new race???

Who said Galaxians ever left the neighbourhood?

As for the shooting stuff, I don't think you should open fire. Allow me to remind you:

ERRATA's 1st rule:

"Do not fire unless you're fired upon"

If they were Galaxians, or High AI entities, (assuming they don't use conventional crafts as we originally thought), they propably ignored you, as they will ignore me, or anyone of us who actually meets them...

"Navigator, set course to Krystar! It seems we just joined a ghosthunt..."

quote:

"Do not fire unless you're fired upon"

It's good for GalCom, but I'm a raider...

No, I didn't find it in the appendix. It looked completely different from what I've seen there. It was big, and had rather strange textures on it if I would've consider it as a Stormcarrier. At first I thought that this may be a false alarm - sometimes when two identical transports appear in the same place, they look like a giant ship . But 'this' disappeared after few seconds, and the 'target-victim-in-front-of-me' key didn't work.

• 3 months later...

Finaly I have found another RAIDER I thought the BCM comunity had gone all "Galcom" on me. I thought I was the only one killing and stealing for money (sometimes not even taking the teasure ). Although my mental state is still in Question its glad to finaly meet another Raider. i leave you with the words KILL KILL KILL.

P.S. Dont judge me for what I do judge me for the dickhead we all know i am