BCM Gold Mouse Flight Controls

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OK, you're not in the equation then. Neither am I. So I guess we can both siddown!

Look's like there's an extra seat at your table, mind if I join you? Drinks are on Gallion by the way.

hate to break the table, but i like the idea of the mouse flight controls. simply because i dont have a joystick...and using the keyboard up down left right controls suck.

i remember playing freespace a few years back with a joystick. had a blast that was fun. also used to use the joystick with battlecruiser. suffice to say i should get one...but i dont play bc with a joystick now, dont think its neccessary. and theres no real games out there that are must have that i could use a joystick with. i mean in terms of flight sims. bcm=space sim yeah but dont require a joystick for max enjoyment.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

hate to break the table, but i like the idea of the mouse flight controls.

uhm, isn't this thread supposed to be for those who have actually tried mouse flight in BCMG? You don't even have the game yet. So, siddown!

After playing for a while I think the new mouse control system works great and was just as I thought it was. The only problem I found was remembering to hit the ALT key to activate it on and off. I dont find this as a major flaw and I believe the way it's implemented is the only Logical way, it's just something that will take time to get used to.

As a side track, I read the manual on this and the FAQ but when I click on any of the multiplayer options from the start menu I get the BCMG logo then it dissappears and goes back to the desktop. Is it just me system or is there something I have to setup first. I just wanted to see the options available.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

As a side track, I read the manual on this and the FAQ but when I click on any of the multiplayer options from the start menu I get the BCMG logo then it dissappears and goes back to the desktop. Is it just me system or is there something I have to setup first. I just wanted to see the options available.

Wrong forum

Check GNN

TTFN

I'm enjoying the mouse flight control. It frees up my left hand for keyboard functions. It took me a little bit to become comfortable, but I'm enjoying it now. I initially had a tendency to overcompensate and I kept rolling the ship -- I'm sure I was quite a sight leaving spacedock!

You know what the best part of mouse control is? I don't have to drag my joystick to work.

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

I initially had a tendency to overcompensate and I kept rolling the ship -- I'm sure I was quite a sight leaving spacedock!

Yeah, me too. In those cases, just press and hold the 5 key on the numeric keypad until the ship auto-centers itself.

The trick is to keep your eye on the FPV and the mouse enable directional pointer*.

quote:

You know what the best part of mouse control is? I don't have to drag my joystick to work.

Yep. It works great on my laptop too, even when using the finger pad.

*would you believe that I put in a new system in the game WITHOUT an acronym?!?! See page 68-69 of the new manual to see what I'm talking about (thats where mouse flight controls are). Just wait until I get around to doing the BCG manual. I'm gonna get even.

quote:

*would you believe that I put in a new system in the game WITHOUT an acronym?!?! See page 68-69 of the new manual to see what I'm talking about (thats where mouse flight controls are). Just wait until I get around to doing the BCG manual. I'm gonna get even.

Grabs manual, checks pages listed, goes into shock

MEDIC!

I like it, for me it is much better than trying to juggle a joystick, mouse, and keyboard all at the same time. I also don't have to contnually remap joystick buttons (damn logithech!). Furthermore, it makes the transition from a craft to first person that much easier.

I always was twitchy with the joystink. Coulda been the old computer though. Somehow I doubt it. Then again.... Oh well no use second guessing myself.

I like it. Very good. I like that the wheel cycles the missiles.

I like that way the direction pointer grows with the rate of turn. Not absolutely necessary but cool and helpful. If you are targeting a craft you can pretty much eyeball the rate of turn.

I can get the TLD centered much better with mouse control than I ever could with a joystink.

All in all very good and quite a surprise. With all the flak Freelancer(?) got over mouse controls I think that I would have expected it to be horrid had I known about it. This was a pleasant surprise. Kudos to Derek for keeping it under wraps and only springing it on us a while ago.

Keyboard key Alt to toggle mouse flight is fine. But lot's of wheels click. Ummm could the wheel click also toggle mouse flight? (Brazen wish; heading to airlock)

But I like mouse flight.

At first blush, I was quite impressed but on further review I'm back at the table (see posts above) with my Cyborg 3D.

Now, in comparison to other mouse interfaces that I've used (very limited exposure) BCMG's mouse control is, as the rave reviews from the others here show, absolutely astounding. I just feel that mouse control, no matter how good, can't replace a good stick. I guess, I'm just a die-hard stick man.

I think the mouse control option is perfect--this option has been left out of too many games and simulators that could actually benefit from it.

I dont have a lot of desk space (My first passion is racing simulators, that MOMO is big), so the option for mouse control is great.

Well done.

Smokin Bob

quote:

quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

But lot's of wheels click. Ummm could the wheel click also toggle mouse flight?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about that, but forgot. I'll add it at some point.

Darn...Charles beat me to it!

After running through the first tutorial in BattleCruiser Millenium Gold (finally!!), I have discovered a problem, and I think it may be my doing, but I am not sure.

I have the mouse control enabled, but when I hold the shift key and move the mouse to the right or left, I get rotation, not yaw. When I just move the mouse right/left, again, just rotation. I tried flipflopping the axes in setup, and got the same effect upon returning to the simulator.

I am able to use the keyboard commands (L/R Arrow in my config) to yaw the ship and it works fine. I noticed in the post by Sebbish that a command line parameter has been added to include the functionality for a joystick, is there a proper command extension for the mouse?

Any ideas what I have setup incorrectly? Thanks in advance,

Smokin Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Well the -j command line parameter fixed the mouse for me, as well as the joystick, so try that and see if it works.

Thanks for the info, Sebbish!! As soon as I can get away from this mass spectrometer and get home I will give it a try.

Thanks again!!

Smokin Bob

quote:

This is easy. If you're going to use a mouse, unplug your joystick.

Anyway, I will look into it and see what I can do. If anything.

I have the joystick unplugged (for a few weeks now, too much racing:)), but do have the MOMO hooked up, and I didnt think about that. I will disconnect that, and try it again.

Smokin Bob