A Blast From The Past

Supreme Cmdr

I recently added the BC3K box to the products page and just located this gem from GameTek's marketing campaign (no, I had nothing to do with it!!).

Enjoy!

So, how many of you have been around since the beginning of it all?

[ 09-16-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following Battlecruiser since it was first being described in Computer Gaming World, I believe, many years ago. That article was what hooked me! Man, I wish I had saved that magazine!

Battlecruiser has sure come a long way since the initial release!

I bought the BC3K game when it first came out over here in the UK. I remember printing the updated manual at work for version 2.9, me supervisor got a bit cheesed about the amount of paper used up hehe. I signed up on this forum a year after BCM was released. I ordered BCM off the net from you guys and got the big galaxy poster. And now I got BCMG and to get that I had to drive from Basingstoke to Oxford to pick it up from the couriers before they were going to ship it back to America.

All this reminiscing reminded me of my first post and subsequent run-in with the SC.

I was tired of having potatoes for crew members and wanted to know how to force them into the library so they would study. I went on to explain how I had finished The ACM (there was only one then) with only the Karanian Reactor, TA Shield and PAD. Anyway, it's been a great ride ever since.

I missed the original. But I did get in at the free bc3k version 1.01.7.dc (something like that) that you had to compile/reintegrate (?) yourself. Been hanging around ever since.

Who remembers the forum before this one?

I remember the forum before this one - I'm just a lurker though

I got BC3K as a Christmas gift way back when it first came out - 'guess my wife could take a subtle hint...

"Honey, come here and read about this new game; it sounds great!"

Reply: "not that battle-whatever thing again"

Hey, us guys can nag with the best of 'em!

Before that, I vaguely remember downloading something like a concept BattleCruiser program which I think Derek had been developing for a few years as a hobby up to that point. Good times.

Heh, I fell for that advertising with Jo sitting on that bar chair, I think...

Went to my local dealer, and bought the game for then 109 DEM, that was about USD 70,- IIRC. That was in November 1996.

Found out about the forum around January 1997. Wrote some Mini Walkthrough, and that left me with the nimbus of being some "expert"...

Well, I fondly remember those times!

Derek, please keep on the good work...

Best regards

I remember that sometime in '96 I stumbled into a beta version of BC3K in the cdrom I borrowed from one of friends. I don't know how he got it, but I remember my first reaction was stumped! All I could do was launch and there I was sitting in the vast space Later in '97 I found this game in the bargain bin and bought it right away. I was already trapped with the concept of the game. I had been hooked up already by another space sim "Frontier: First Encounters" and I wanted to go further to see what I could find lurking in sim space. Well, as you can see, I'm still here, still lost in the vast space.

I remember that ad:) BattleCruiser Millenium Gold is my first foray into the BCM Universe. Quite impressive:)

I just finished reading your interview in Computer Games Magazine NO. 150, May 2003, Supreme Commander. I dont know how you did it...

Looking forward to more,

Smokin Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Count_Sessine:

I too have been around since before the Take 2 debacle. Every year or so I tire of the SC's rough manners, but eventually return because of the quality of the game.

Rough manners!! Did he say rough manners?!? Yeah, thats what I thought he said.

I played the bc3k demo (you know, the one where your crew wouldn't move around the ship) in a PC gamer mag way back in some distant year. A long time later I decided to check and see if this site was still around and then BOOM! I see there is another BC game in the making (BCM)!! So that's my story.

(I think I STILL have that pcg mag and the demo disk for bc3k around here somewhere)

My friend once bought a pack of demo CDs, one which contained the BC3k demo. When I first ran it I was stunned by the complex interface, in a positive sense. After 20 minutes of fooling around, trying to figure out how to move my ship I read the large PDF manual to figure out I had to disable the autopilot after launching I was never able to figure out how to change area, but I often attacked Galcom HQ only to get wiped by 2 or 3 battlecruisers *cough*

a friend of mine had the CD laying around, he hated the game, didn't bothered to see why he couldn't control his ship, so I bought the CD of bc3k v2.0 from him, played it and enjoyed it, for a long time.

My father's always been a BC fan himself. I remember when we first bought the revised version, I lost all time I had to play doom to him sitting for hours on the computer.

Its amazing to think of how much better its gotten, and I was a little too young to actually start getting a grip on how to play the game. Cheer's to BC, and may it have a long healthy life.

I first played it at a friends house before I owned a PC in 1997.

He got tired of it so I borrowed it and still have it today.

It was the main reason I got an internet connection, just so I could upgrade when the patches started comming out.

Guest MIKE113

I got BCM on 11/19/2001 and played the Demo for about 6 months before that. So that makes me almost a 2 year old Noob! I still play almost every day! Have never used Playmod!

Me and BC3K met somewhere around 1999 when I checked out the freeware v1.0 in a computers magazine bonus CD.

At first I was not able to play it, since I had some trouble with video card recognition. (note: I didn't know then as much as I know today about hardware and software). What kept me trying was the manual and it's appendixes, who had a full descritption of what was going on into that game and had images of the included ships and stations and...

When I decided to read more carefully the game's instructions and started to have better sense of SW/HW, voila!!!

I was able to play, without a single crash! (yeap, that's true)

I'll never forget my first hyperjump. Oh man...

Since then, I've been close to the series, one way or another, although I didn't register to it's forum, until some months ago.

With BCM in my hands, it's only a matter of time till I get BCMG and eventually, BCG...

See you in the field!