A Blast From The Past

Supreme Cmdr

I first read about BC in a PCG magazine sometime back in 1994 or 1995, I can't really remember. At that time I was really into X-Wing and Tie Fighter and I wanted more!! There it was my dreams came true.

Unfortunately, when I went to Australia to obtain my tertiary education, I had to leave my pc behind until 1997. That was when I spent 24 hrs downloading the updated release, printing the pages and pages of the manual using the university's printers and joining the board as a lurker.

Had a lot of fun learning how to play BC, however had to leave every thing behind when I joined the workforce back home.

Then came BCM and now BCMG!!!

It has been a very long and fun trip, Derek, thanks. Here's to hoping that there will be many more years devoted to BC.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to download the free BC3k from file planet, which although it didn't work,interested me enought to buy BCM. BCM prompthly stalled due to soundcard and other issues, but , when it finally worked with my system I found it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Now I eagerly await the debut of multiplayer!

Ive been playing Battlecruiser since BC3K unforutnately I have SEVERAL problems running it. all together I got to play the game 1 of every 12 times I played it and then only goto play it for 5 minutes before windows lovely BLUE SCREEN OF DOOM halted my gameplay I had been bitten by the bug none the less the Idea of NO OBJECTIVE GAME PLAY was so foreign but I LOVED it. Needless to say it got soo annoying getting cut and unable to play that I Unistalled it and packaged it up all nice again and gave it to one of my friends as a birthday present he has the same problems but its not annoying ME. Then when i saw BCM in the local EB I wet myself finaly one that will work after reading the requirements I was even more happy everytime i saw the big standing display I was like OOOOOOOO, then after being first at the EB all 12 times the date was pushed back I started to loose mt interest. then when i was in there NOT looking for it there it was YAY then several months later i was browsing the new releases and WOW A GOLD EDITION me out of work buyt addicted spent 30 dollars out of my life savings and got it. I am NOT SORRY AT ALL this game has me hooked without a dout stronger than any game ive ever had (Kings Quest II for apple 2 GS Excluded) when im not here being evil im in the game BEING EVIL. And my freind KUTTER which I gave BC3K too is now scratching up money to get BCMG it. Keep up the AWESOME TRADITION Derik

I guess you could say I've somewhat been there since BC3K. I remember going to my friend's house and he'd loaded up the demo from the latest gaming magazine he subscribed to. As soon as he showed it to me, I was hooked. Whenever I went over, I'd wanna try it out again. But it wasnt until about a year before BCM's release that I actually got back to the game again. Let me tell you, that was a very long year for me.

But I will have you know, shortly before BCM came out, I was able to find a lone copy of the original BC3K in a nearby CompUSA store.

Derek, I still have the silver box and my original BC3K CD. I think its version 1.0 , I bought it when I was back home in Colombia, just weeks after I saw the first ad for it on the magazines.

What I really want is the ad that made me buy the thing.

You know, the one with the babe holding the silver box. She must have wrinkles by now though

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Derek, I still have the silver box and my original BC3K CD. I think its version 1.0 , I bought it when I was back home in Colombia, just weeks after I saw the first ad for it on the magazines.

What I really want is the ad that made me buy the thing.

You know, the one with the babe holding the silver box. She must have wrinkles by now though

Tac

From SC's first post

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah....I've followed this game (and was VERY excited) since I first read the preview in CGW many years ago. I still have everything from the entire series (from BC3K to BCM Gold).

I must say it's been an amazing journey watching and playing this game as it developed. The game series as always exceeded my expectations.

In closing....I LOVE BCM Gold!!!!!

Thanks for a great game!

Gary

Houston, TX USA

I had never heard of it (not into the gaming scene then) when I saw that some crazy dude was handing out a free game! The first time I launched from Galcom I knew this was the game I had always wanted: no fake boundries, no fake distances, and lots of buttons! Learning curve?! Who cares about learning curves when you can evacute your ship, blow it up, and STILL keep playing! Woo-hoo!

P.S. Or not evacuate. That's fun too.

I've been here since the VERY FIRST version of BC. In fact, I've got a copy of the very first one on my shelf at home, as one of my prized possessions.

What a long, strange trip, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I might as well chime in.

I went to Comp_USA on 2000 looking for a good space sim. I picked up the BC3k box and was going to buy it, then I asked one of the Comp-USA stooges about it, and he trashed the game and recommended Independence War. I didn't buy either, wanted to think about it. About a year later a friend Ron recommended it to me, he played through till his ship couldn't be upgraded anymore. He loved the game. In late 2001, I was at GameStop and saw BC3k for $5, and remembered seeing it at Comp-USA. I snagged it and started playing it on an old 200mmx w/ a voodoo2 card while I worked. I e-mailed Derek about something and he motivated me to go buy BCM. I am gratefull to be a part to this little club, though not too active on the boards.

I am looking forward to BCG later this year or early next.

Al

I still have the silver box too. God that make me feel old. When I saw the description of the game, that is the game I want he!he!

I remembered that I had a too recent video card at the time and BC3K refused to work. But even with debacle you had with Take 2, you kept improving the game. Everyone was telling me that this game was doomed to never be a succes. Well you still prove them wrong Derek ha! ha!

I try to play BCM Gold as much as possible and enjoy it.

Thanks for your dedication bro!

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the silver box as well

In fact its almost in mint condition. Also got the re-release gametek version. Had many hours of fun playing it, and what can say, Good one Derek.

I've never known anyone keep so true to a vision, even through all the hastles with Take2, etc. Followed the BC story for a long time and used to post on usenet a long time ago. Well been a while, but back again, and as impressed with BCM:G as I was with the original when I got into it all that time back. Every time I see the newest version, it evolves. Keep it up!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You guys better hang on to those Silver boxes, they're classics!!!! Who knows, you might make a mint on eBay one day.

Read it and weep

Well not you SC heh.

The best part is I went to pay for it with PayPal and I had a $19 balance on my account. I didn't realize it because I haven't bought anything off of ebay in like 3 years. So I only had to bone up another $1.

• 2 weeks later...

That ad must have come from the early days of PhotoShop and doctored images.

My first foray is the Gold edition. Still learning by doing.

It is very interesting to see my ship going backwards through hyperspace.

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of this game before. I was just @ Electronics Boutique one day looking for a space sim game. I think i picked up Galactic Civilizations, put it down. Picked up StarTrek something and almost threw it down.

Then i picked up BCM Gold, looked at the back (*eyes got bigger). And i couldn't believe all the options you had in just ONE game. The only game were i can go WHERE i want, WHENEVER i want, and DO WHATEVER i want. Total control. This has to be the best RPG ever made, because basically the player creates their own story through the different experiences u get in the game, and the outcome all depends on your skill and ambitions alone.

To say Good Job, is a huge understatement. Congratulations on a great game and many thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

I was tooling through fileplanet the other day, checking out what they had in the way of simulations and lo and behold there was BC3K v2.0 plastered up as one of the most downloaded files of the week.

Yep, link is right here