A Blast From The Past

Supreme Cmdr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across this (the bastards used BCG shots for the article. But don't worry, they've got an inbound email), then I went...

Whoa!! talk about a blast from the past!

And the v2.0x freeware version is still alive and kicking in the download charts

Apparently they dislike American McGee as well. Screw them, and take what they say with humor. Any designer of a game should gladly have the option to put their name in front of a game.

Besides, where's the game that they've (Delsyn & Fargo) designed anyhow?

I think that it is just too cool that 2.09 is still be downloaded in the numbers it is.

That will hopefully drive up the numbers of commanders, and will drive up the number of Gammulans as well..

Good Job SC, that is excellent news, now to get BCMG up there as well, although every time I go into the software store, I seem to talk someone into buying a copy.

Where's my commission?

Ever since playing Elite on the ZXspectrum and C64, I was on the lookout for a spacesim that could top it. Frontier was good (and the complete game fitted on a 3,5" disk). Seeing the silver box and especially its back in a local shop ('96) was all I needed to descide that I had a likely candidate in my hand. Never seen a copy in a dutch store since.

Started playing, experienced crashes, went online, read all the fuss about the game and waited for patches. Had a scrappy pc at the time so I played only at low settings. But I kept playing the game!! Any other would have ended up in the bin but not this one. This is the One.

Also got version 2.0 and had a friend download the patches and mail them to me (on a floppy in an envelope) when I was sailing.

Since feb I have a wideband connection and I bought BCMG when it became available online. After playing I became active online last may.

Many critics don't seem to realize that we still play the same game. We still play that first copy. This game is not being developed, it is growing and evolving. And the nice thing is, we don't know where it ends (hopefully at Milliways ).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i found my copy of BC3000AD one night searching in the garage. it was my step-brother's copy but henever played it anymore, so i asked bothhim and my step-dad if i could commandeer it and i was given permission. now, i played it and i still recall my first reaction of " " at the addictiveness.

there's a story behind how i found the cd too, but i'll save that for another time

• 2 weeks later...

BattleCruiser has always had a hook in my side,

Ive been following the game since its initial previews and reviews.However all those first reports by reviewers of endless bugs kept me away like a lot of others.I totally regret that now.Ive been playing these kind of games since the old classic "Star Raiders" on the Atari 5200.

Boy I must be getting old.

I've bought BCM Gold just yesterday (although i played freeware version of BC,it was some kind of new experience) but i already know i'm going to spend much more than year roaming across galaxy! I haven't seen anything better than Batllecruiser,but i hope Universal Combat will be even better. Best wishes to Derek Smart!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Nostalgia is great ain't it!!!

I almost had a stroke waiting for the first release. Even with the crashes it showed the potential and the vision Derek had for this game.

I even searched and found Dereks home phone# and called him up. I'm sure he won't remember it but it kind of pissed him off at first cause he was as you can imagine, kind of busy,,,, but he chilled out and we talked for about 10 minutes.

Somewhat later after the first few patches, he landed on me pretty hard about a couple of posts on the orig. board. Later he asked me if I wanted to be a Tester. I was so thrilled I cut a couple of Gemstones and sent them to him for his wife. (Cult hero thing).

Anyway, life and work forced me out of the mix and here I am back after a few years.

Some things change but Derek is still kicking butt!!!.

Btw Derek, just bought BCMG and ordered the new title. Glad you are keeping the dream alive.

Alan Trest

aka

Stickman

Hello friends old and new.

It has been along while since my last post.... though I have been checking in from time to time to keep informed on the goings on. I have played many space sims over the last year or so....freelancer, eve online, X2....yet I found myself installing BCM a cpl of days ago...as none of theese even comes close. BCM was the game I always wanted...the one I would have made myself if I had the means. After playing for like 24 hours straight...I decided to head over hear and read the forums...then I found that UC is on the verge of being released. I have spent the last 2 days reading , looking at screen shots, and watching the videos. I must say...I look forward to it. In fact I cant wait to get it. The plant and wild life on the planets is a dream come true. and the stars at night...fantastic. Thank god I have BCM to keep me busey till UC gets here.

off topic....I posted a night before christmas poem on this forum somewhere..I looked but could not find it...thought it would be fun to read it again...since it is the season and all..if I find it ill slip in a link in my next post.

untill then..good day all, from an old battlecruiser fan

• 1 month later...

for me BC3000AD was an impulse buy after getting my joystick..I saw it there and it looked like a good action/adventure space game so i thought id try it...I was disappoited when I first played it, I was like this has NO action ..But as I kept playing it the depth and non-misson based objectives got me to LOVE IT , needles to say three nights of playing it and reading the manual I was HOPLESSLY hooked and I had a sight induced orgasm when I saw the AD for BCM at the local EB.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered BCMG! I've been away a long time. But I was around in the beginning, and things in my life have kept me away from the fray. Well I'm back now, looking forward to getting back into my BC. Was happy to see that my forum login still works!

Guest Fox__Trot

It was bc3k that brought me to the bc universe however..

I was after a game starcontrol 2 and found a magazine that included a cd with bother Starcontrol 2 (pluse descent) and bc3k version 2 so thats what allowed me to discover it

==== about the advertisemnt (lifted from here

As an aside, the associated advertising campaign by GameTek rates 3rd in M.

Evan Brooks' list of the worst video games advertising at

http://www.pressroom.com/~meb/ . Jonathan Normington writes: "I remember

noticing a couple of months back [from February 1997] that GameTek seemed to

have flooded UK gaming magazines with tacky adverts - the Joanne Guest

BC3000AD one, a picture of a bloke sitting on a pile of bones, one with some

sort of comedy penguin... they told me absolutely nothing about the game they

were supposed to be advertising." You can view an advertising graphic here,

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/depart/feb98/bc3k90.html . From the Joanne

Guest FAQ ( http://www.zedtoo.demon.co.uk/jgfaq/archive/past.html ): "That was

not the only version of the advert. For the more 'laddish' magazines (for

example, PC Zone) one or two alterations were made. For a start, the caption

'She *really* wants it' was added, and in this version of the photo it looked