BCM Gold review @ Game Cronicles - Does this guy have something against SC?!

Gamolon

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

And i also am very tired of running around on emptyness, a bridge or river might be nice...

I have no idea how a bridge or river has anything to do with "emptiness". And the planetary regions do have rivers, oceans etc etc. You, like that twit, obviously have NO idea what you're talking about.

wow, i thought by now that you would have realized, that i NEVER have any idea what im talking about.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, everyone should not get their knickers in a bunch over this. It happens to the best. Just remember all the Artists that have been waylayed by bad reviews from Playwriters, Painters to Movie makers. They've all been thru this same ordeal. Ya just take it in stride and hold onto to the good reviews and take solice in your fan base and to keep at it to show these guys up!

Anyway, I think I found out what this guy's real problem is and I quote "This was supposed to be a quick game, and let me tell you it was because I turned it off promptly after that."

He must be one of those pheen console gamers that play games for hours and finish them that fast. God this guy better not even attempt to play Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind. I've been playing that game for months now and am no where near getting to the end of it. I don't know where on earth this guy got the idea it was suppose to be a quick game. One of the many reasons I purchased this game is that it was the opposite. One thing good is that I doubt he will be the next generation NASA astronaut. Can you imagine this guy trying the pilot a Nasa Space shuttle he'd turn that off and walk away in disgust too.

Anyway at least he was wordy with his review check this guys review. I came across this one after playing around with the demo. The other readers that reviewed this game there gave it from a 7-9.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battle....html?id=754986

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Not gonna bother. Dreamcatcher said they were going to handle it and that I should just ignore it.

Doesn't it just bring a smile to your face when a major publishing company tells you to completly ignore something and that they are going to "handle" it. It makes me imagine a car pulling up to the guys house in the middle of the night and...well, you all know that story.....

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

quote:

Not gonna bother. Dreamcatcher said they were going to handle it and that I should just ignore it.

Doesn't it just bring a smile to your face when a major publishing company tells you to completly ignore something and that they are going to "handle" it. It makes me imagine a car pulling up to the guys house in the middle of the night and...well, you all know that story.....

No. Because usually it doesn't mean squat. Apart from the fact that they don't want me going ballistic (and making them look bad...or something). If they've done anything about it, they haven't told me anything. Eitherway, what can they do? I mean, think about it.

Good point, well I have an idea. Lets get the Floridian BC people together (I know there is just more than you and I), we can all get really drunk, pack ourselves in a car, pull up to his house in the middle of the night and...... :-)

In any case, I get the feeling he played the game for all of about 5 minutes and then wrote a review. It's totally ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

Probibly got sidetrcked looking at those pics of Bo Deric while looking for SC. Then spending the rest of the time jamming out to the music (which is awsome). So when it came time to hand ina report on the game he had to pull his pencil out of the Jizz stain on his desk and all he could right in the time left is a scathing attack to save his job.

Either that or the guy is a BIG BIG GEEKY TREKY and figured this was the only way to save his genre.

Could be hes one of those guys that only looks at the downsides of games and gives his ideas that way. or was accused of beeing to genorous so he was FORCED into writing a schathing review.

Could be hes a DOOM fan.

Might be that he only likes games that have defined set rules that you can not bend, or break. (he loves taking orders cant handle giving them.)

thats just my input for this obviously missinformed and eluted individual. Just let my ATS-Harpoon visit him. He He He Violence is always the answer.

WOW SC there are some guys out there that don't seem to like you. The game was slated without actually being about the game!!!

Not sure if I've ever seen that before!

I read both the reviews linked from other posts in this thread and what I say is it's a shame they didn't play the game. They may have turned it on and ran it but they in no way played it!

I have no idea if you a nice guy SC and frankly I just don't care, it's the game gonna be spending my time with not the developer.

Saying that, I had never heard of any of the BC series of games before BCMG and was literally drooling at the concept of the game when it was reviewed by PC game selling site. (Amazon, I think!) and was thinking that at last there was a game that was designed for me. This is going to sound sad but I have never wanted a game so much since I was a nipper. The game didn't fail to live up the anticipation! I have to admit that what sold it for me was the concept and scope described. Enough for me to order it on-line which I have never done before, since I couldn't find it anywhere in the local games shops!

The guys who wrote the reviews obviously aren't strategy buffs and prefer the throw away games that seem to have flooded the market(after completeing them in a week!). It is impossible to take anything away from those reviews other than a personnal vendetta towards Derek Smart and since they have obviously no ability to see what makes a good game and how to play it, goes to show how limited their field of vision is and that they are the wet dreams of the companies who make games that are quick and easy to complete.

The fact that the game is hard to get into at first with all the controls shows that there is alot more to the game than a simple hack-un-slash attitude. If the time is taken to learn the basics the rewards of the game show through. I was baffled at first with the controls, having downloaded the demo (no manual!) but after a day of playing the whole game was surprised to realise how easy it had become to navigate through.

BCMG has instantly become one of my top 10 games with the concept and scope something that puts all others to shame.

[ 08-01-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

This hs little to do with the thread and I know it must get asked alot but....

How would someone get into creating their own games, of the standard of those out there? Since most of the current crop are so 2 dimentional (in concept!) that it makes me wanna create games that would satifiy my own requirements in gaming!

Dunno how I missed this review. Anyone who can digest a bit of linguistic nonsense like that can deduce he obviously isnt writing the review from a non biased approach. If you boil it down to the basics the review sounds something like this....

"Me hate Derek Smart!" "Me no like game!" "Hulk SMASH!" (in that order)

But o well. Take it with a grain of salt cause what can you expect from giving the controls of a battlecruiser to a chimp hyped on caffine. Heck, I bet he liked Resnig and it cant get worse than that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the review. While there is no excuse for the lack of patience and thoroughness shown in respect to the authors review of the game, let alone the comments made about Mr. Smart himself, I think we should not lose sight of context here; In trying to see things from his perspective of what is, and what is not, a good game, it's not that hard to understand why some of what was written was written.

In comparison to games out there now, the Battlecruiser series really stand out in alot of ways; and since there isn't really anything similar yet, it's inevitable that reviewers are going to judge members of the aforementioned based on the games that are out there now. It's inevitable that reviewers are going to compare members of the aforementioned to games that are out there now.

Remember back when DOOM came out? How kick-ass it looked? It was because it was being compared to other games of that era. The quality was relative. There is no cosmic force that defines something as being "good" or "bad".

The author in question no doubt reviews, and has reviewed, many games. When viewed from the perspective of a reviewer used to games tailored for the five-second attention span, as most these days seem to be, it's not hard to see why this game has percipitated such an influx of negative reviews.

quote:

Originally posted by Telemachus:

The author in question no doubt reviews, and has reviewed, many games.

You must be reading a different review because I have no idea how you gleamed the above from the particularly rubbish attack piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the rewiew....... guys that folk should be writing fashion rewiews........ What the hell of gaming experience he got......

I think he never played BCMG and never played nor PRIVATEER nor FREELANCE....... he never played anything!!!!!!!

Usually i come to all reviews with an open mind and take what the reviewers say into account rather than just go danming them to hell for saying a bad word against a game I like, and have to admit I came to this thread thinking of critiscising you all for doing just so.

However then I read the review.

I say this man be cut off from all keyboards and writing materials.

Forever.

And a bit.