What do you do with your spare time?

chriscoe

I am writing to figure out what people are doing in the downtime between intergalactic trips. For instance, when I am taking my ship through 11 or so jump points, I map it in the navitron and hit autopilot. I cannot leave and let it do its thing as situations can come up during the transit that needs to be monitored. There is only so many times you can double check your engineers and marines.

I personally try and RP it, being a new commander and all, and use the time to read the manual over and over. I picture the commander sitting at the ready mulling over status reports and all. However, some of the more veteran commanders are probably well versed in the manual so I am curious as to what everyone else does. Do you just stare at your screen?

quote:

Originally posted by Talen:

I am writing to figure out what people are doing in the downtime between intergalactic trips. For instance, when I am taking my ship through 11 or so jump points, I map it in the navitron and hit autopilot. I cannot leave and let it do its thing as situations can come up during the transit that needs to be monitored. There is only so many times you can double check your engineers and marines.

I personally try and RP it, being a new commander and all, and use the time to read the manual over and over. I picture the commander sitting at the ready mulling over status reports and all. However, some of the more veteran commanders are probably well versed in the manual so I am curious as to what everyone else does. Do you just stare at your screen?

actually, i'm loading Resnig into a shuttle for the usual "target practices"

quote:

Originally posted by Talen:

I catch up on the forums on a second machine or whatever...I just make sure the speakers are loud enough for me to know if there is a problem that actually involves my craft or crew.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

Why the hell would you do that? and waste a perfectly good shuttle??

quote:

Originally posted by Rm:

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

Why the hell would you do that? and waste a perfectly good shuttle??

i was cleaning the gene pool

shuttles are exendable! Resnig(thankfully)is not. especially when he dies in space.

I usually do dishes.. .Or clean the kitchen. Cook. Do chores. Read a book. Sharpen knives. Stuff I need to do but usually don't get around too because I like video games.

I also have a radio-shack, voice activated, two way radio. I carry it on me when I travel from the computer room so I can hear the emergency klaxon even if I'm outside.

The wife thinks it's funny when I go rushing through the house to my "ship" every so often...

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

I usually do dishes.. .Or clean the kitchen. Cook. Do chores. Read a book. Sharpen knives. Stuff I need to do but usually don't get around too because I like video games.

I also have a radio-shack, voice activated, two way radio. I carry it on me when I travel from the computer room so I can hear the emergency klaxon even if I'm outside.

The wife thinks it's funny when I go rushing through the house to my "ship" every so often...

OK. Its official. You're insane.

quote:

Well I'm not that insane, but I'm close. I use a baby monitor. After a really nasty fight when I need to do mega repairs and rest my crew, I'll get the parts I need from the closest station and park my CC. Then carry the baby monitor receiver into whatever room I'm hanging out in. This is if I'm lazy. If I don't want to bother with the monitor, I'll park my CC on a planet near a friendly base and then I don't have to worry about being attacked (or do I? )

Heh... I was wondering how people monitored their games while doing other things. Now, a two way radio from Radio Shack is a bit much but not two far off from something I was thinking of doing.

I guess a studio apartment would work too... I am about to start a new job, and will need a new place. hmmm....

[rp]

When your this deep into Gam space you never have down time, there is always something to do mid jump. Usually trying to work out how to avoid the task force waiting for you at the jump gate but repairs take up a bit of time aslo

[/rp]

I haven't seen Galcom space in must be about a month and a half now. I'm getting home sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm lets see sending marines to the fighter bays when intruders are in Medical (or worse on the bridge)

Sending two marines on search when perscan shows 7 intruders

Playing with his gameboy instead of searching for intruders

Basically being a doofus!

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

Hmmm lets see sending marines to the fighter bays when intruders are in Medical (or worse on the bridge)

Sending two marines on search when perscan shows 7 intruders

Playing with his gameboy instead of searching for intruders

Basically being a doofus!

No, it goes further than that. It's personal! Back in the old days he deliberately countermanded our orders. Re-assigning marines to other tasks after you assigned them to specific locations on the ship. Pure disobediance. And worst of all! Yelling thru the earpiece "Marines assigned to search duty!" without stopping. He's got a reprimand file you don't want to know about. It needs it's own filing cabinet.

He's a commanders worst nightmare.

My TV is in the same room as my PC (at college, everything is in the same room), so I just fly/park my CC and watch a movie, fiddle with my latest programming project or something.

Im content with stareing into the void

But then again I want to be an astronaught so I guess that makes me the man for the job.

or its probably a side effect of camping a rare spawn in everquest for so many years(ive quit eq btw which is probalby like quitting smokeing so i guess i deserve a pat on the back hehe)

• 3 weeks later...

(RP)

Arcana Peacekeeping Consortium procedures dictate absolute vigilance from the Helmsperson at all times.

Research officers are currently investigating the possibilities that enemy pilots may use some manner of ESP device to determine the state of awareness of a ship's helmsman, they they may most effectively strike unawares and gain valuable seconds on interdiction response time.

It is Arcana policy that Helmspersons determined to have displayed a dereliction of duty resulting in a drop of Key Performance Indicators shall have to report to our Human Resources Officer "Brutus" for Disciplanary Procedures and that they must do so without their sidearm.

Analgesics shall not be supplied for the resulting necessary surgery.

(End RP)

Yeah, basically as I've said, the SC has done a great job of tempting you into laying your guard down when at the helm. But I shall not be fooled! I cycle through my TACSCAN display like a Hawk, looking to see if anyone has a Harmles caste targeted. If they do, it's time to hit the Hyperspace and teach them the error of their ways.

Additionally, I follow the example of the SC and also watch Resnig like a Hawk. Him and HRM Brutus appear to be drinking buddies or something. The trouble with sending him to Medibay is that he'll begin hitting on the Medical officer and unfortunately Arcana policy forbids her from administering a much needed dose of sedative to his Jugular Vein.

hasnt anybody heard of putting a TV near the comuter that way can watch on those long boring voyages. Also another idea is if you are planing to raid a planet take the time to coordinate and plan the attack to the slightest detail, If you dont get done in time you can always CTRL-P. ( for me yesterday) another year (physicaly) older. BTW flying a BC is hard drunk, always hitting SHIFT-W to activate land mode LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Raider/Pirate VLAD:

( for me yesterday) another year (physicaly) older. BTW flying a BC is hard drunk, always hitting SHIFT-W to activate land mode LOL

Well, there's another reason for police caste to try and catch you

Anyway,