Crippled CC

Viper2000

Ok so im trying to take over the starbase destiny and was almost in her weapons range, coming out of HJ. Anyways before I am in her weapons range my shields drop and I take massive damage to the inside of my CC(fully upgraded firestorm). Everything that could be damaged was, most was destroyed. I really don't know what happened cause the only enemies other then the starbase were two fighters.

What could have caused this or better yet how do I get myself out of this mess?

Why did your shields drop?

Some enemies could have been cloaked. Take their cue. If you are going to take on a hostile star station, do it while cloaked before HJing to it. And then stay cloaked while attacking it until it sends out the SOS. This part is tricky, but if you uncloak, and then dock to it while its sending out the SOS, you will capture it. Much more preferable to destroying it.

quote:

how do I get myself out of this mess?

Did you request a tow?

Well, you should consider yourself lucky because normally you will be space dust after getting that close to a station.

Here is what might have happend:

1. You sat still too long and you took just about every shot the enemy fighters fired.

2. You were infact, in weapons range of the starbase and recieved a merciless beating.

Now that you are disabled, you should think about your options.. you can:

A: Call for a tow

B: Abandon ship

or

C: Hope you can get your engineers to start repairing. (though if your ship is that badly shot up then most of your crew is probably dead).

The comms computer is down so a tow is out of the question. The shuttle bay is also no more so I cant get my crew out of the ship. The shields dropped almost as if they were turned off. I mean I could withstand a starbase for atleast afew seconds but all this happened within the blink of an eye.

lol looks like ill have to hope for C then I guess.

Guest MIKE113

If you have Fleet C&C send a probe to the nearest friendly area and order any friendly asset to assist. No Fleet C& C.

Of course with no Comms this is futile, so

Did something similar recently... Was towing a disabled fighter off to a base. Was approaching the gate when some enemy fighters popped out behind me. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! CE just keep reciting damage reports... Everything's dead so I can't even reallocate power or conduct repairs. Only recourse is to reload from earlier saved game...

The AE has access to some of the ship's systems via his...aw screw it, read the damn manual.

But if you are saying that in fp mode when you do CTRL+T (you don't have to be damaged to request a tow) you get a crash when you get to the station, thats a bug. So, is this the case or not and can you reproduce it?

Well, first off, if you want the SC or ANYONE for that matter to help you, you need to properly create a signature. Refer to the various links at the top of the page for instructions on how to do that (i.e. FORUM SIG). Then, you need to include a ordered and numbered step-by-step list of steps you take to cause the CTD. That way we can determine if there truly is a bug (which honestly there probably is not) or if we need to shoot you. (i.e. you have bad drivers, exc.)

[ 07-17-2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Bandus ]

quote:

Originally posted by Phreddo:

Well, short story here. I got a tow, and i barely made it past the station logon screen when i got another CTD.

We're not interested in short stories. Read what Bandus said.

quote:

Well, you asked if I could reproduce it. I did. I pressed CTRL-T to request a tow. They asked if I still needed a tow. I pressed 'Y'

I found myself at the station logon screen. The first time, it just crashed to desktop, no fuss no muss. The second time, i got past the initial login, then it crashed again.

Obviously you chose to ignore what Bandus and I posted. Do you want to keep posting on this site or not?

I'm not familiar with creating bug reports. Most software I have ever used has some form of bug report utility built in. When I try to share what happened, I get a response in the form of a mild threat. (Do you want to keep posting on this site or not?) So if I can't say it exactly right the first time, I figure I'll leave it alone.

When I attempted to recreate the situation, I requested another tow within the game, and Mark Stryker, Fleet Commander replies "I just told you, there aren't any ships in the area." This game takes long enough without going out of my way to find bugs, only to get browbeaten in and out of the game. I thought people were paid to find bugs, not the other way around.

I deleted my posts because all the pertinent information had been reposted, and anything else was simply causing waves. It is tricky to discuss bugs when the developer is the tech support. Without proper channels to filter, process and disseminate the information (bug report submission form, customer service), I'm a little leery to say anything that could be perceived as critical.

<---Incoming...

quote:

I'm not familiar with creating bug reports

I explained very clearly how to do it. The developer of the game (SC) confirmed my explanation was the proper way to go about reporting the bug.

quote:

Most software I have ever used has some form of bug report utility built in

This isn't most software. This is an original piece of software and should not be compared to others.

quote:

When I try to share what happened, I get a response in the form of a mild threat. (Do you want to keep posting on this site or not?)

He wasn't threatening you. He was telling you. If you cannot read instructions on this board you do not deserve to post here. If you had read all of the links at the top of the forum (i.e. Read This First! , Forum Sig) you would know that the tolerance level here is very low for people who cannot follow instructions.

quote:

This game takes long enough without going out of my way to find bugs

If your not going to help solve it in manner that was clearly explained to you how to do (i.e. step by step recreation, not a short story) then do not b*tch about it. Simple as that.

quote:

I thought people were paid to find bugs, not the other way around.

The other way around being the bugs are paid to find people? That barely makes sense.

quote:

I deleted my posts because all the pertinent information had been reposted, and anything else was simply causing waves

Perhaps all pertinent information had been reposted, however it was not in the format specified. We seem to keep coming back to this point, don't we?

quote:

It is tricky to discuss bugs when the developer is the tech support

Your right. Why the hell on Earth would we want someone who knows every nook and cranny of the game to help with tech support? SC, maybe you should hire some folks who can sit at a computer and read canned answers on a 900 number we have to pay to call and get help on?

[ 07-17-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Bandus ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

SC, maybe you should hire some folks who can sit at a computer and read canned answers on a 900 number we have to pay to call and get help on?

To add a little levity....

The 900 number could just be a soothing female voice repeating over and over..

"R. T. F. M."

"Install Latest Drivers"

"R. T. F. A."

"Follow Instructions"

That would solve a lot.

quote:

I deleted my posts because all the pertinent information had been reposted, and anything else was simply causing waves. It is tricky to discuss bugs when the developer is the tech support. Without proper channels to filter, process and disseminate the information (bug report submission form, customer service), I'm a little leery to say anything that could be perceived as critical.

In the time it took you to type up that, you could've actually read what Bandus and I wrote.

Apart from that, why do you think there are tech support forums here? And who do you think created those messages there?

Further, what do you think the tech support email address email in the manual is for?

Its simple, you can't just post about a problem anywhere you like on the forum and without following instructions on the proper submission of problems. Far too many times people just post all manner of rubbish and then we waste time on it, only to find out nonsense akin to someone forgetting to plug in their mouse. Even in the tech support forum (I'm not sure what you thought that forum was for), there are examples of people jumping up and down about something being a bug. And then we found out that it was in fact false and just a problem on their end.

I asked if you wanted to keep posting here or not because people who don't follow the rules around here, shouldn't be here.

There are two options for reporting bugs.

1. Use the tech support forum
  2. Use the tech support email address

You chose neither. But instead, chose to waste time arguing about something as simple as this because you expect someone to spoon feed you or something.

I just offhandedly mentioned that the game crashed at a really inopportune time. I've seen it happen before in other games as well. I wasn't asking for help or trying to report a bug. I'm not here to play semantics or spend a lot of time systematically dissecting everything addressed at me.

I'll admit it, I like the game. It's very deep and fresh. I dig the music. I like the downtime you get for repairs, as it allows me to do some reading. I know I should be reading the 300 some pages of game stuff, but I'm still in grad school, and they make me read plenty

But the next thing I know I'm supposed to turn this into a bug report. It caught me unawares. I never asked for a solution. If there was a way for the software to generate the bug report rather than relying on (my) anecdotal evidence, what would be wrong with that? Why create extra work for yourself? Get some good people to do the grunt work and delegate. What would be wrong with a 900 number to field the dumb calls? Then, maybe Mr. Smart could get some sleep for a change.

Yet, when I see Derek Smart, Designer, Lead Developer and President asking me to justify my bug, followed by "That way we can determine if there truly is a bug (which honestly there probably is not) or if we need to shoot you. (i.e. you have bad drivers, exc.)," I start to think twice about a criticism that may not be worded correctly. Imagine telling Emeril that he should use more oregano, or telling Jim Morrison not to say "higher."

This is what I mean by the developer being too close to tech support. Basic management theory dictates that an effective manager will delegate prior obligations as he or she moves up the ladder. Leaving behind old duties is a common issue for new managers. They tend to focus on their old job and neglect the new position. In the case of the creator and the product, the creator becomes the product. Any commentary on the product becomes commentary on the creator.

All I know is that I just saw the game on the shelf and said "hey, I've heard of this." And I bought it. And lets face facts, I would have finished and forgotten some games in the time its taken me to learn this one.

I understand that I don't have diplomatic immunity, so I'm liable to get banned. I know now that excessive posting is not tolerated. If I have to be banned, so be it. I don't ask for respect, I don't think that buying a game gives one open license to start a flame war. I'm just a guy who likes to play games in his spare time.

I see this has gotten way off topic, so do with it what you will.

Not to dissect....but

quote:

"That way we can determine if there truly is a bug (which honestly there probably is not) or if we need to shoot you. (i.e. you have bad drivers, exc.),"

I said that, not the SC. Thank you for proving my point. Again. You need to quit while your ahead. Furthermore, this isn't anything even in the vicinty of being close to a flame war. Flame wars don't happen here. They get shut down long before they start.

You also mentionde you didn't ask for a solution. Then why the hell did you post the problem?

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

You also mentionde you didn't ask for a solution. Then why the hell did you post the problem?

And twice, for that matter.

I'm confused too.

quote:

Yet, when I see Derek Smart, Designer, Lead Developer and President asking me to justify my bug, followed by "That way we can determine if there truly is a bug (which honestly there probably is not) or if we need to shoot you. (i.e. you have bad drivers, exc.)," I start to think twice about a criticism that may not be worded correctly. Imagine telling Emeril that he should use more oregano, or telling Jim Morrison not to say "higher."

Totally different concepts there. If there is a bug, then it needs to be researched and if it exists, fixed. You posted twice about the same thing and now you're saying its not a bug and blah, blah, blah. See? This is the sort of waste of time I was talking about. We take this stuff SERIOUSLY around here you know. Thats why we have forums for every topic type.

all i said originally was that my ship was badly damaged. I got a tow, thought I was safe. Then, the game crashed to the desktop. This was along the thread of the Crippled CC.

Then, I am told that it is a bug, it needs to be fixed, can I reproduce it?

Nobody said anything about "move this to the tech support forum."

And Bandus, I am so happy that you can recognize your own quote. I was not referring to Mr. Smart. I was referring to his self-appointed spokesperson, who seems to think that Mr. Smart is incapable of speaking for himself.

To reiterate, the crash was not my topic, the crippled CC was my point. The crash to desktop just seemed to be extra painful since I was so close to pulling out of a bad situation.

The line about the bad drivers and the improbability of a bug in the game only discourages me from sharing my experience. Bandus automatically places the blame on the user. That just communicates a "how dare you" attitude to claim that I ever had a problem with the game. And the amount of time and energy that Bandus is dedicating only seems to indicate that s/he is taking this all very personally. I know I am. I didn't mention names since I didn't want to single people out, but now I have to since I don't want Bandus to claim I'm assualting Mr. Smart.

So, if my profile is in order, I will, to the best of my abilities, try to reconstruct what had happened.

1. I get into a scrap in my Firestorm. I barely get out alive.

2. I consult the keyboard chart to see how to get a tow.

3. I press CTRL-T.

4. Nothing happens. Since all my computers are malfunctioning, I get no confirmation of a tow request.

5. I wait.

6. I see a message. Do you still want a tow? Y/N

7. I press Y.

8. I see the station login screen.

9. The screen blinks.

10. I see my computer desktop.

11. I reboot.

12. I restart the game.

13. I reload my last save (before i got damaged).

14. I approach a station in orbit, can't remember which one.

15. I decide to try the tow again.

16. I press CTRL-T.

17. I get up and take a leak.

18. Some hostiles HJ in.

19. I decide to engage near the station.

20. During combat, the tow ship arrives.

21. Do you still want a tow? Y/N

22. I press Y.

23. I see the station login screen.

24. I click on login.

25. I see the main tacops screen for about a second.

26. The screen blinks.

27. I see my computer desktop.

28. I take a nap.

Much better. Was that so hard to do? I'll try what you did (the relevant steps anyhow) and see if I can reproduce the problem.

In the future, you can just post the steps, you don't have to post all that other BS. Derek does not need a spokesperson, trust me. He has been posting about as much as I have posting damn near the SAME THING I have. We are BOTH trying to help you but you were seemingly too busy thinking up a response to what we posted to just follow the damn instructions we were giving you to try and help.

Furthermore, not to continue the pissing match, but I take personally the fact that you obviously have not read any of the instructions of this board. You had no system profile at first which means you didn't read the Forum Sig! at the top of the page. I could go on pointing out why I'm on your case, but I have to go test your problem. I'll report back when I find out whether it's a bug or just rubbish.