Game Commander

CaptnKarob

I just got my copy of Game Commander 2 today. So far it hasn't lived up to the reviews it got. I tried it with a simple 4X4 racing game and it misinterpreted most of my commands. I haven't set up the commands for BCMG yet. Has anyone here used Game Commander in BCMG? If so, how did it work out for you?

As far as I know Game Commander will only work for games that have a profile for it.. so its probably not going to work well with BCMG .. hell I can barly get the thing to work with BF1942

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

i used game commander with ST: Bridge Commander and it worked well..

you need a headset not just a single microphone or it won't understand your verbal commands..

GC2 comes with a headset mic.

I guess I'll just keep at it trying to train it - when it works it is pretty cool.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

As far as I know Game Commander will only work for games that have a profile for it.. so its probably not going to work well with BCMG .. hell I can barly get the thing to work with BF1942

If it only worked for the 20 or so games that it has profiles for it wouldn't sell very good. It comes with a profile editor. I can program a command like "Countermeasures" or "ECM" and have GC2 send the E key to BCMG. If it always worked the way it is supposed to it would be a huge help in games like BCMG that have such complex keyboard commands (I am NOT complaining about the complex commands! I LIKE complex games!) and I think it will add to the realism of the sim. You can bark out commands to your bridge officers and they will listen (if you program it right). The problem is that sometimes GC2 confuses commands that sound similar. In the racing sim I tested it on last night I set up commands "Brake", "E Brake", and "Park". GC2 kept confusing these three commands because they sound so similar.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by XOR:

just buy a joystick with 2 buttons(laser and missle) maybe even a thrid for closest enemy

keep it simple man keep it safe

If I wanted to keep it simple I never would've bought Battlecruiser. I get bored easily with most games - especially ones that lock you into a script. When it comes to games I want more complexity so I don't get bored.

My idea for Game Commander was to use it to add a bit of realism and immersion to the simulation. With it I could conceivably create verbal commands as if I were speaking to my bridge crew ("Plot a course" would bring up the Navitron, or "Engage" would be Ctrl+9 for the hyperdrive).

Now if only SC would implement multimonitor support.... But that is another topic.

quote:

hehe yeah i was just messing with you man

btw i like how your createing an actual cockpit to play your games in like an arcade or something... at least thats what i think your doing

Yeah - it is almost done too! I will be painting it black today and tomorrow will start building the instrument panels. I'll hvae all the keyboard commands except the 1st person commands mapped out to pushbutton or toggle switches in the cockpit. Eventually I will have a 1st person panel too, but I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I have pictures of it if you want me to send one to you. It is comming out better than I expected. I test ran it with X Wing Alliance the other day with an old computer in it (my mobo hasn't arrived yet) and it was pretty awesome even with a keyboard sitting across my lap. The thing is totally enclosed and the viewscreen (monitor) is the only "window".

quote:

Thats some nice stuff ... so your basically inventing your own joystick with its own buttons and all that or are u gonna put the keyboard in there ???

No, I am not inventing a joystick. I am using my Saitek Cyborg Graphite, but it is highly modified. I took the throttle out of it and used its parts to build a separate throttle assembly, and I cut down the base to fit in the proper position on my right side panel.

There will be a keyboard, but most of the time it will be tucked away beside the seat. All game commands will be mapped to buttons and toggle switches on the various instrument panels. The new throttle I just finished making has two buttons - in BCMG they will be for A/B and R/R.

My neighbor likened it to an arcade style game, but this is WAY more than that. I can put in actual aircraft instrumentation ind interface it with flight simulation software like Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004, or the upcomming air combat sim, Lock On (I can't wait for that one!).

It will have 5 panels for individual game commands. Each panel will connect to a keyboard encoder with a 25 pin "D" connector (think parallel port connector). When I want to play a different sim I'll simply change those 5 panels and load new configuration files into the Hagstrom keyboard encoder and Game Commander.

I will be able to play any sim that I have panels for without ever touching a keyboard. Ideally, I would get rid of the mouse too, but too many games require one for menus and such.

if you can tolerate it then use the mouse that has a big ball that u roll around with your fingers since it wouldnt have to be moved around like an ordinary mouse(if u use it for a while u get the hand of it) I was at my uncle's house for a week and thats the only kind of mouse he uses but after many hrs of CS i got the hang of it lol

quote:

if you can tolerate it then use the mouse that has a big ball that u roll around with your fingers since it wouldnt have to be moved around like an ordinary mouse(if u use it for a while u get the hand of it) I was at my uncle's house for a week and thats the only kind of mouse he uses but after many hrs of CS i got the hang of it lol

UGH! I despise trackballs.

What I really want is a touchpad like you find in most laptops.

I have used Game commander 1 and have GC2 but have not used it yet. I find the program works good with most games but as was stated there are some words the recognition system does interpret as the same so you must design your training accordingly. In fact, GC1 worked so well for me I had to give it up because everyone was complainging about me because of it (this was family members playing games online with me) and they threatened to stop playing against me .

Has anyone used the ZBOARD? Taking the old idea of templates to the next level.

• 4 weeks later...

GC Reality. I have tried several speech reconition packages over the years. GC1 was the first one that actually worked. GC2 also works and works better. Just like BCM, make sure you have all the patches, and read and follow the directions. Then you have to be patient about setting the microphone level and MAKE SURE TURN OFF the 2Db boost on your sound card or it doesn't work correctly. Truthfully there are some titles that don't work well with GC. I think it ammounts to timing issues sometimes the software is looking elsewhere when you try to give it a command. As to games you can play, there are many templates on the GC site and you can always make your own template. Then of course there is the panic factor. Screaming "RELOAD", "RELOAD", in some fps while you are about to be killed is a sure way to fail. Sometimes you need to take a deep breath and 'reload' more calmly and save the adrenalin for backing away as fast as you can and ducking while the reload takes place. I find that I rarely have to train GC. Out of a dozen commands, 1-2 may require training. Personally, I like to reserve GC commands for things that you would really do by talking on the radio. I especially like to use it for docking or issuing orders to wingmen, or, in the Star Wars universe, voice commands to the R2 unit in your X-Wing. I kind of frown on defining a voice command for every single button, switch, thought, and movement, but that's just me. It works well for BCMG. I like it for Thief and Thief2, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament works well. I have most of the space sims and I use it to some degree with all of them. And air combat sims and lots of games. I know that there have been a couple games that I gave up trying to use it with, but I don't remember what they were. Maybe you just have to tried some of it's predacessors for Game Commander to appreciate how well GC and GC2 actually work. It is certainly not perfect but it is very good. IMHO. Ok, I'll shut up and climb down off my soapbox

• 4 months later...

In case anyone is interested, I took a Game Commander 2 file from here and I'm adding commands to it.

Interestingly, the Command and Control is pretty cool, pitch up, pitch down, etc. I use the Auto Fire Tab and just put 'Pitch up Hold', for when I want the movement to stop. I'll post my file here when I am done with it. I hope to be done today sometime.

I have updated the BCMG Game Commander 2 file that someone else posted with more commands.

Get it here.

Let me know what you think.

I will also make one for BCG(UC). I am just going to copy and rename bcmg.gcc to BCG.gcc and create the commands to run BCG using Game Commander

[ 02-28-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: StarRider ]

I'm all right StarRider, I have a pretty ok BCM file set at the moment. But they're probably others who may need one.

Boy oh boy people, GC2 is absolutely amazing! I'll admit, it doesn't work well for some games but almost EVERY flight sim I've encountered it's worked perfectly. No ifs, ands, or buts!

This puppy works like a dream when it comes to those games!

When it came to ordering my wingmen to "engage" or "cover me", or to "roll in" every command all worked flawlessly! As you can see, radio commands are the best with this tool. No more of the typically hit Tab -> 2-> 6 -> 8 sequences just to send your guys to do something like "engage bombers". With GC2 you can simplify these complicated keystrokes into one easy word or small phrase! And everyone, who's ever played combat flight sim, knows you don't want to be fussing with so many foolish and tedious keystrokes at the heat of the moment.

Another cool feature to GC2 is setting a specific WAV file to indicate confirmation for each verbal command. To put it simply: When you say a command, a sound is followed by afterward. What I like doing for radio commands is setting a cool radio dismal sound after each verbal phrase. "Attack my target" and then "SHHZT..CLICK" instantly afterward. It really makes me feel like I'm talking to my AI wingman and not just talking by myself in a small dark room at 1:30am.

I could go on an on bout this tool, but I'll just leave it at that.

And for people, who are having problems, just stick with it. I find IT DOES work as advertised, 95% of the time.

Sorry about the file. It is working now, just follow the link. It was not working.

I totally agree. If there was ever a game that GC is usefull for, Battlecruiser is it. I have used GC2 with Battlezone II and Homeworld. I think it might come in handy with Imperium Galactica 2, but I have not tried that.

I absolutely love the music to BCM, btw, ever since I heard it on the BCM Demo. I actually would use the BCM music from the Demo and then play BC 3000ad before I bought BCM.

I have 2 monitors in front of me. While I am dinking around with web pages, I can give commands to BCMG through my headset on the other computer and watch the action.

I use a Sybex Switch, so when I need to use the keyboard, I just switch over to the other computer.

My other computer, the gaming one, I have a dual monitor setup.

Right now, as I am playing the game on 1 computer, the other screen I have powercows website up, re-reading some things on his "Tips" page.