BCMG and WineX 3.2.1 (Linux)

Satur9

Though IÔÇÖve read the SCÔÇÖs comments on this forum with regards to his disinterest in BC3K having anything to do with Linux, I thought I might just update any Linux users here as to the state of BCMG as supported through TransgamingÔÇÖs WineX.

ItÔÇÖs simple really: as of WineX version 3.2.1, BCMG still doesnÔÇÖt run on Linux.

Aside from the fact that the game wont install, even installing it in Windows and copying said installation to a Linux partition yields no result. It simply wont run, and lack of any error messages makes this issue a bit of brick wall to get past. Though WineX currently implements many/most DirextX 8.0 features, it may be that some of the 8.1 features upon which BCMG relies are not fully implemented (just a guess). Since Transgaming are working on DX9 compatibility now, this may be rectified in future releases.

I have submitted a profile for BCMG on the Transgaming website (it should begin appear through the websiteÔÇÖs search feature in the next few days) through which I hope any one who has had any success with BCM or BCMG in the Linux environment might share their ideas on how to get it running. I am also interested in hearing from any registered Transgaming subscribers on this forum, specifically on whether they would be interested in trying to raise the 10 votes required to enter BCMG into the next round of voting for support. If we can do that, combined with the SCÔÇÖs earlier (sadly fruitless) discussions with Transgaming, we can at the very least bring this title to the WineX developers attention, and maybe pave the way for Universal Combat support.

If anyone is interested, keep an eye on the Transgaming site as I believe the game profile I uploaded a few days ago should show up any day now. Anyone with any ideas or a few spare votes under their belt, please feel free to throw them BCMGÔÇÖs way

Cheers all,

Tim Moule

quote:

ItÔÇÖs simple really: as of WineX version 3.2.1, BCMG still doesnÔÇÖt run on Linux.

Have you tried any of the BCM demos? I beleive the first one only required directx 7. I remember trying this a couple of years ago and of course it didn't work.I did like you did and had to copy the installed game from a windows partition.

I have pretty much given up on linux (and wine/winex).Just too much of a hassle getting drivers and stuff to work right.Nice idea though.

Now I remember

Beleive it or not the problem may not be directx support.You also need some audio codecs installed

to make the game(or demo)work.Try to dig up a copy of mplayer, the old media player 6 from microsoft.For BCM/BCMG I think you need media player 7 or 8?

That was part of the problem,getting those media players to install under wine/winex.Maybe there is better support now.

Nope, because Windows Media Player requires IE6 support if I'm correct.

Satur9, if you arn't already, help the movement to get IE support into WineX, currently this is keeping tons of games, of all versions of DX8, from working properly in WineX.

Try downloading a codec pack, thats what I do anyhow. I won't guarantee it'll work. I spent about 3 hours one day trying to figure out how to get BCM working on WineX and then gave up. Also, it may have to do with the MSI installer as well, and the fact that the Audio stuff in Winex 3.2.1 are incomplete.

Hey CC: I spent some time pondering the issue of codecs and such, as the BCMG User's Guide does indeed stipulate that Windows Media Player is a requirement to running the game. I tried removing or renaming the two opening intros (the Dreamcather and 3000AD logos -- hope I didn't break the EULA doing so) to see if I could force WineX to either run the game or crash with some sort of helpful output, but the problem seems to occur even before the opening intro is run. (If you remove the intros under Windows, the game spits out a error message "Hit OK to Continue" type message, but it does indeed run.)

Cmdr.WeeGee: I think you're right about IE support. It's definately one of the bigger issues facing the continuing effectiveness of WineX. I've not tried to install IE through WineX, but am surprise to hear it doesn't work, as I understand IE works through WINE. Many people use the Office Crossover program to get IE support through Linux, but I don't think it solves problems with games running via WineX needing access to IE.

The fact is that it's sheer dumb luck if an unsupported game works through WineX, unless Transgaming are either working on support for said game, or the game shares certain properties with a supported title (such as the Quake III family of FPSs -- Transgaming support a number of QIII engine based games, and therefore a lot of unsupported QIII engine games work also). This is why I feel official support from Transgaming is the only way to get BCM running under Linux, without needlessly and unfairly petitioning the SC to make a Linux port at his own cost, and without great benefit to the franchise.

Of course, it is a miracle of technological advance that a Linux OS can run/play Win32 games, or application designed for Win32. Not getting BCM running under Linux isn't so much as dissapointment as it is a reality. I definately don't take for granted those few Win32 apps/games that run under Linux.

Cheers for the input,

Tim

I seconded your poll request. Now if 9 more people who happen to want to try the game or like the game can back us up.

Also, I heard something on a linux group about another version of WineX, developed by another crew. Do you know anything about this? Perhaps BCMG Could work in that, I understand it is supposed to have better support of some games.