CALS don't work (or don't know how to use)

claudedavid

Hello,

I just discover this amazing simulation. I love to manage a crew, with all those possibilities and freedom.

I already tried many things successefully, but I really can't find a solution for the following: CALS crash happily my CC on the ground. Sea or land.

I proceed so :

* I start a new game. I Choose a CC. (I tried with military, trader, scientist ....)

* I press Accept

* I go in the rolling menu and choose "log off".

* Then I choose "logout".

* I'm now in space, close from Earth.

* I click on Earth in NID and press SHIFT+9. I Answer Yes to planetfall question. I'm now in Earth atmosphere.

* I press SHIFT+E to activate CALS. The autopilot switch on in AI mode (orange button A/P), and my CC start to dive to ground at high speed. Hard landing and lot of warnings.

It's always the same, on water or on land, even when I manually lower the altitude first (under 1000feet). As soon as I press SHIFT+E the speed increase, the CC dive (20 or 30 ┬░), and hard landing.

I don't know how to proceed to use CALS efficiently. I already read FAQ, docs, searched in the forum ...

Please help ...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Claude DAVID

Hi again,

Some further infos : I tried with shuttles and they land perfectly, switching to TAXI mode when on the ground, without any damage. But CCs definitively don't. I tried to VTOL very close, under 30m, and when I activate CALS, it tries do dive and hit the ground hard.

I can land without damage VTOL, but I thought that CALS was for CCs too ????

Thanks for any help

CALS requires a little bit of time to calculate the landing vector. Try activating it as soon as you make planetfall and see what happens.

30 meters from terra firma will get you crunched up every time.

It sounds like you turned the A/P off right before landing. The computer isn't perfect.

Depending on the terrain, Mother can sometimes boot every crew,ember out of their racks with a hard landing.

Thus are the rigors and pitfalls of commanding a large space vessel.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes I use the last version of BMC (1.09.01).

I will try to activate it at soon as in atmosphere.

It seems to not happen on Mercury and Pluton. Just Earth. But I must try many many times to discover a rule, if any, for that CALS default on my CC.

Nice explorations

Claude DAVID

In addition to what others said... Dont expect it to land everywhere perfectly. Earth can be pretty rocky. I try to find a mostly flat area, get in close, and then use CALS. Trying to land on the side of a mountain is not good.

Remember that, for a while it was debated whether a CC should even be able to establish planetfall-- and there were some good reasons why they shouldn't. Ultimately, you can still take them planetside, but you have to remember that CCs are friggen big, so you have to take more care in how you use them. You cant trust the A/P to do everything right.

My suggestion is, find a nice flat area to land on first, and CALS should work every time.

In the end, things like this, coupled with your own imagination, help make the game more fun in my eyes.

• 1 year later...

Well, I have been under the impression that CC's sink when you try to land them on water. Was I wrong? Nope, couldn't be cause that's what the SC always said. Also I always land my CC manural or unless I plotted a way point about 20 clicks away to land at.

Well, flipping the switch for CALS right after planetfall works, so long as you have a waypoint programmed for the CC... Don't try it manually, because it's a good way to break the toys!