Why no persistent server?

mikesla

I am wondering why there isn't a server that will support a continous enviroment for BCM where you can login to the server and come back playing. I'm new to the game, and I simply love it, but I don't want simply play the game, but have a universe that I can keep playing in.

Back in the days of BBSing, you could do that. Play your 30 turns, and off you go, why can't there be a universe for BCM?

Later.

Please refrain from creating threads with braindead subjects or they will be deleted and you will be banned from posting. "Why is?" is not a valid thread subject.

[ 06-17-2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by TheHappyFriar:

The BCMG manual specificly says that it won't hold your info between sessions.

It does. When you quit a server or die and are taken back to the connect menu, you don't have to make your selections again. Just hit the connect button.

Neither BCMG nor UC ever said that they would support server side client stats saving. So I have no idea what [manual] you are talking about.

*moved out of tech support*

Here is what section 15.3 of the manual - which I wrote - says.

quote:

15.3 Server Stats

BCM Gold servers do not support player stats saving. Once you have logged off a server, your stats and records on that server are deleted. In other words, the server state is not persistent. If the server is re-started or you disconnect from the server, your stats are lost.

So, please, tell me, what are you talking about? Or is one of us in this thread confused? It ain't me.

In my post above, I was acknowledging his post that BCMG in fact does not save stats. I went on to explain which aspect does get saved - client side.

From my understanding of what the manual said, I believed that when you disconnected, player stats would be destroyed. And when the server is shutdown, everything is lost.

Yeah, that's the part I was thinking of (15.3). I thought Michael Slaunwhite was asking about server side saving.

I belive he was refering to the way Trade Wars 2002 saved stats on the BBS comp (current sector, ship, etc). Then you'd come back & you would be where you left off (unless someone blew you up, or you got towed away).

quote:

Originally posted by Freyar:

From my understanding of what the manual said, I believed that when you disconnected, player stats would be destroyed. And when the server is shutdown, everything is lost.

Yep