Distortion Field?

Annihilator

Say, my TacOps officer keeps saying "Distortion Field Detected". What does this mean? Is it the same thing as when she says "There's something out there..." to tell me there's a cloaked ship? Or something else??

I already did a search of the entire forum for "Distortion" and it came up with 15 results, 2 of which were not trash. One refers to the distortion field thing about cloaking, but its still indecisive from what he said.

IIRC this will mean that someone has cloacked, same as "There's something out there..." but maybe this will tell you that the ship has cloacked only moments ago...

Maybe the Sc can be more specific on this...

Actually it's stating that there's a cloaked ship in the area, friend or foe. Every once awhile a cloaked ship get "statistic" and is visible for a moment and that's when you get the warning from your tactical officer.

Im pretty sure that a distortion feild is caused by a cloaked ship that either fires a weapon: eg. Missile, turret or main gun. Or launches and asset while cloaked. It is usually accompanied by a short blip on the radar.

But What do I know, Immanewbie

• 3 weeks later...

I think when she says she sees the distortion field, that the cloaked ship is real close. Just today I ended up point blank on a cloaked ship and I could see it. I could also tell it was cloaked, because the "distortion" around the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

The distortion (which your displays will show) is from a cloaked ship doing something. If your cloaked, the following (but not limited to) things will cause a distortion:

Launching/Recovering Ships/probes

Firing Weapons

Activating EMD (your cloaked, WHY?)

Bumping into something (I bumped a cloaked ship, go figure)

etc

...plus, like I stated in my previous post, every once in a while cloaked ship becomes visual for a second, without doing anything. You'll get report from your tactical commander even if it's one of the friendly ships that is cloaked. That is because she doesn't know the alliance of the ship, she just notices the "distortion" or "static" that the cloaked ship sends. (Yes I know I spelled wrong in the previous post , but hey it's only my finglish and I like it )