Space Force Marines !!

yoyo

Hi ,

I tried that game a few months ago, and after playing it as a MIM then as a EFM, I desinstalled it - it was VERY ANNOYING (nothing challenging was happening on the planetary surfaces I was wandering on).

But I've just decided to give the game another try. This time, after re-reading the manual, I chose a SFM career (TER/POL). I carefully chose my launch base (the Velari station, next to RAI sectors), and, at last ! Some action ! A lot of spaceships passing by etc etc... And bloodthirsty raiders attacking my launch base, again and again !!! Great.

So I took my weapon and used my jetpack to take part in the fight. BUT, being (still) a noob, I quickly wanted to get a few points explained :

1) I repeat myself, but... is there a way to accelerate the course of time in the game ? (I don't want to spend hours sitting on my W key until my Space Force Marine get close enough to the threatening red dots which seemed not to be as far as that)

2) It takes a VERY LONG TIME to kill an enemy Space Marine - at close range, he moves very fast, too fast for my turning speed ; meanwhile, around me, huge battlecruisers are engaged in an enormous fight which lasts... only a few seconds. And I can't get rid of ONE single space marine in the same amount of time ???

3) Fortunately, enemy space marines completely stop when they try to attack the station (pointing their rifle seems to be tougher for them than for me). So I approach slowly from behind, and I shoot at them... but invariably, when their LF reaches 34, they fly away with INCREDIBLE SPEED towards the exit point and I can't catch them (even at max speed (backspace key) - do their jetpack have more fuel than mine ?). It's only a small consolation to know that they'll spend many days before they reach the jump-point...

4) I began the game with EXP 0, but 20 minutes later, I lost 5000 XP, then another 5000. When I killed my first SFM (I used a LR12 rocket this time, it's far more effective but not funny at all - the target doesn't even try to avoid it), I only gained 50 experience points !!! Due to the difficulty of the task, I think I should have gained at least 50 000 points !!! What did I make to having lost 10 000 EXP ??? I can't figure out. Maybe I destroyed a couple of allied Stormcarriers without having noticed it

5) Finally : I can't reload my Sabre Space Assault Rifle ! I press the R key, the weapon disappears, I hear the "reloading" sound, but nothing happens ! I can only reload my rifle when I'm out of ammo. Is this normal ?

OK I stop here for this time. Sorry for the length of this post, but the game was so attractive... I don't want to give up now.

1. No.

2. Yes, it is ridiculous.

3. Yes, the AI has more fuel than you.

4. 5000 XP is lost when a diplomat ship is destroyed. You only get 50 XP because it's so easy to kill marines in a capital ship.

5. Don't know.

I would recommend playing a commander instead, since you get to do everything the other classes can do combined AND you can actually do something about those silly diplomats.

quote:

Originally posted by UltraMage:

I would recommend playing a commander instead, since you get to do everything the other classes can do combined AND you can actually do something about those silly diplomats.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Why the hell are you playing a space force marine.

Its like you get that brand new Carrera 4 and you take it to the local mall parking lot for a spin. And then come home and go on a Porsche fan site message board asking what all the fuss is about.

Driving a Porsche is too complicated for me - at least for now. One day I'll become a Commander (and will probably destroy DIP ships myself!) ! Now I give up the SFM career (which lasted 3 hours) and start... perhaps a fighter career ?

quote:

Originally posted by yoyo:

Driving a Porsche is too complicated for me - at least for now. One day I'll become a Commander (and will probably destroy DIP ships myself!) ! Now I give up the SFM career (which lasted 3 hours) and start... perhaps a fighter career ?

An Elite Force Pilot is actually a good way to learn the galaxy. You can poke around the different systems, see who's who and what's where, but you don't have as much to manage. I normally play a fighter career as a break when I get frustrated. The marine careers are kind of hard and (for me) short lived.

As a fighter pilot, you should be able to get repaired and re-armed at friendly stations. You may need to get recharged too. I don't know if FC have a limited charge in Pilot careers, but I would expect it. I've never been out long enough in a fighter to run out of juice, but it would not be fun.

You may want to at least start a career in a Cruiser, too. That would be getting your feet wet as a commander, but you wouldn't have to manage fighters and would have less crew. They maneuver better, and you can (sort of) treat them like a big fighter.

If this game suits you, you should really consider buying a more recent version. UC is only $20, and the latest version only $30, if your PC can run it. It just keeps getting better.