Joystick oddity (resolved)

Gomez

Reference card and manual both state left/right is yaw. Yet my joystick does left/right ROLL. And I seem to be unable to switch the two using any of the seemingly appropriate keys listed in the manual & reference card.

Joystick is MS Sidewinder force feedback pro.

3-axis (twist) + throttle, hat, and 8 buttons.

Twist is currently acting as my yaw.

Other than this, the game seems to be operating smoothly. Even after I alt-tabbed to type this message

EDIT: This was while in space. I expected this behaviour on planet, but not in space.

EDIT2: After more closely examining the FAQ, I notice that it contradicts the manual/reference card in saying that twist is yaw?

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Gomez ]

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hi Gomez,

I have the same joystick and the same "problem" (I didn't consider it a problem until you brought it up, just thought it was designed that way )

I haven't tried this myself, but have you tried to build a Sidewinder configuration profile for BCM? You should be able to remap the twist function to the left/right axis.

Lemme know how it goes - I'm using WinXP so I don't have the software loaded

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

...uhm, the problem is what? The game works just fine on WinXP.

I was curious to see if the sidewinder profile idea worked for him - as I'm using the default WinXP drivers for my joystick, I don't have the software installed, and getting other people to do your work for you is a highly efficient use of ones time.

Hi, I am new to BC and just purchased BCM from my local EB. I am looking forward to working out the bugs I am having. The first one is the JS.

quote:

Read the keyboard sheet and FAQ again.

I am having the same problem with my MS Sidewinder FF Pro as Gomez and Gryphon. I have read the command sheet, manual, and FAQ over and over. The command sheet and manual say that LEFT and RIGHT is yaw. But the FAQ says that TWIST is yaw.

I am assuming that since SC says its in the sheet and faq that I MUST be missing something. But I, for the life of me, cant figure out what I am missing.

To reiterate the problem on my system:

*LEFT and RIGHT controls the ROLL (the sheet and FAQ says it controls the YAW)

*TWIST controls the YAW.

Any ideas?

Its not a bug. The default for L/R is to roll if you are flying in the air or in space.

I probably should've added this description in the keyboard sheet. Will to that during the re-print.

And for sticks without a twist axis, CTRL+J reverses that.

Note that if you are ON the ground terrain (or in a vehicle), it will default to Yaw, regardless.

(thinking out loud here)...wouldnt it make more sense to default to the reverse?

I say this because the current controls (roll with LEFT/RIGHT, yaw with TWIST) are more suited to air flight (IMHO). I know BCM supports both air and flight (COOL!), but being that we are flying spacecraft, yaw with LEFT/RIGHT roll with TWIST, would be more intuitive.

Just food for thought. I guess I can remap the fuctions via the JS control panel. I guess I can also keep my lousy opinions to myself. hehe

Croy

quote:

Originally posted by Croy:

(thinking out loud here)...wouldnt it make more sense to default to the reverse?

I say this because the current controls (roll with LEFT/RIGHT, yaw with TWIST) are more suited to air flight (IMHO). I know BCM supports both air and flight (COOL!), but being that we are flying spacecraft, yaw with LEFT/RIGHT roll with TWIST, would be more intuitive.

Just food for thought. I guess I can remap the fuctions via the JS control panel. I guess I can also keep my lousy opinions to myself. hehe

Croy

No

If you had any idea how many food fights we had in the Beta forum over this, you'll know why I don't plan on changing it.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]