Game won't end after crash land (resolved)

Guest $iLk

Twice so far - once on Centris, once on the moon, I wrecked my ship into the side of the planetoid. It showed me explode... then I could switch back to cockpit view. Once I self-destructed - same thing.

I am in Bridge mode, crash, shows 3rd person effects, then says LOCKED at the bottom left and I can switch back to bridge or cockpit and game won't end - have to exit and restart the app.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

i had the same problem a few times myself... Once, i crashed into the ground... it just stayed there, and once i was was destroyed... and just stayed there...

1GHz AMD Athlon

448MB RAM

Asus A7V133

VistonTek GForce2 MX

SB LIVE!

Creative 8*4*32

Netgear FA311 10/100

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

It's happened when I self-destruct, and when I crash... also is there supposed to be a countdown for destruct? Mine blows automatically when you hit "Y"

You know, if your reports were more vague, my next door neighbor's eleven month old could probably relate. You have to do a LOT better than that if you want a response.

At any rate, I just tried both instances here and they work fine.

No, here is no count-down. Where did you get the idea that there would be one? What did you think the Y/N prompt is for? Did the manual (p62) say ANYTHING about a count-down?

With the countdown I'm just used to the old bc3000ad.

Anyway what's happening isn't really vague because it's every time I self destruct or ram something and blow up. I can end the game from the cockpit, but no die screen. I tried it once again over New America in a Zenstar. I hit CTRL + E and my craft showed the third person view explosion. Then at the bottom of the screen where it usually tells your camera angle it says "LOCKED". I wait a few minutes... then I hit F1 and the cockpit is back and I can control everything except for the engines which are destroyed. I'm gonna try and find out what else it lets me do.

quote:

With the countdown I'm just used to the old bc3000ad.[/block]

The game is BCM. Not BC3000AD

Anyway what's happening isn't really vague because it's every time I self destruct or ram something and blow up. I can end the game from the cockpit, but no die screen. I tried it once again over New America in a Zenstar. I hit CTRL + E and my craft showed the third person view explosion. Then at the bottom of the screen where it usually tells your camera angle it says "LOCKED". I wait a few minutes... then I hit F1 and the cockpit is back and I can control everything except for the engines which are destroyed. I'm gonna try and find out what else it lets me do.

Odd. It works fine here (as for someone else who said so). I will run some more tests tomorrow when I find time. Once you die, the game should quit right away and display the frontend screen informing your of your death. Anyway, if this continues to happen, just use ALT+Q as normal.

And the LOCKED text just tells you what kind of camera is in use. In this case, the external camera in locked mode is always used in transitions. e.g. death.

Try an fp IA scenario with a vehicle (e.g. IA0006), then use CTRL+E (also get yourself killed in the vehicle) to evac and let me know what happens.

Alright I hit CTRL + E while in a vehicle... the vehicle exploded and I came out of it and landed on the ground, started running and shot at enemy marines until I was gunned down - then the game ended automatically.

The FP death worked fine but was I supposed to survive the Self Destruct like I did?

It's not a huge problem - it's just not behaving the way it's supposed to. Like you said I can always end it with menu.

Guest Melanie650

I've run some tests on this also seeing which results happen. Seems like deaths on planets seem to work correctly and bring you to the death message. However dieing in space on the Battlecruiser seems to be not working. The cruiser explodes and everything but after the explosion effect, it just stays there and it never brings you to the death screen. I waited a while just to make sure it wasn't lagging behind but after waiting for 2 minutes. I got tired of waiting and pressed F1 and it brought me back to the bridgeviewer. Nothing worked however but it still brought me there. From there I exited the cruiser to do a spacewalk and it allowed me to do it.

I am also having the same problem as these other gentlemen are having. I will add a little to it. I was attacking a station when it ripped me a new one. All systems were destroyed but four of them. I was even told that the reactor has been breeched and that it is going to blow. I am dead in space. The station has quit firing on me. I should have blown up. After a few minutes of finding out that the ship is screwed I did a self destruct. It shows the ship blowing up and I am floating in space. I press F1 and I am back in the ship with the same problems.

quote:

The FP death worked fine but was I supposed to survive the Self Destruct like I did?

Yes. CTRL+E will destroy the craft and kill you depending on the following.

(a) The craft

(B) The environment (space or planet)

To see all the rules (I should probably put that in the next manual re-print), read the Beta VCF in the 2.4.01 GC2 section

I am going to run some more tests on a few other machines. But from what I'm reading, it seems as if the end transition is not automatically quitting when it should. Until I find out whats going on (it works fine here), just use ALT+Q and Y to exit as normal.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]