CTD When Leaving Navitron (resolved)

surfnlt

This is my first post so tried to research as well as possible before reorting to the post...

I am experiencing a CTD whenever I leave the Navitron Computer screen, from the commander campaign. I even changed the "multinational" to "mixed" in the English.lng file.

Also, during the games startup the 3000ad logo is really slow. I am not sure if this means my graphics are to blame for the problem or not?

System:

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz

ASUS A7A266 MoBoard (fully updated BIOS)

512mb DDR memory

NVIDIA GeForce 3 64mb DDR

Windows Me (fully updated)

Direct X 8.1 installed

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Right The game still continues to keep crashing on me soooooo:

Through alleviation the culprit must be Windows Me. This is not the first time my system has repeatedly crashed during high memory intensive applications. I will re-install Windows 98SE. Thanks for the assist.

Guest Melanie650

Interesting. LOL as SC knows by now by reading all the threads I wrote, I'm having the same problem too and I'm running Windows ME and the problems I'm having seem to be due to RAM issues. GAH! I hate windows. So many problems with it.

I tried to re-create these crashes but they were all random. The more I played the game the more random the crashes, also the longer I played the more unstable it became. Leading me to believe it is an operating system problem (and not BCM – I had the same problem with BCM Demo2)with Windows Me and the memory leak stated before by Gallion. It could also be due to Windows Me and having 512mb memory, I really don’t know. I am by no means a computer expert. I will be purchasing Windows XP today (with much chagrin), maybe that will solve the problem?

The game works perfectly for me under WinXP - I have a P3-800 with 128MB RAM and a radeon 7500 and I can max out all the graphics details (and turn on 4x antialiasing) and the game is still nice and smooth.

You should get WinXP anyway - its 1000% more stable than any Win9x based product.

That's what I have been told, these latest CTD's finally made up my mind to purchase XP. I just hate the fact that I spent a lot of money on a good system and I am constantly having problems with it. From what I have played of BCM it is quite impressive, I just hate giving more money to Mr. gates.

Guest Melanie650

Hey SC, do you think that the Orbit Bug can be the cause of this? That some orbitals are being attacked in the background (meaning your not directly involved in it) and exploding and causing the random crashes? Just a possibility but I dunno.

Got same problem. It appears completely random, because when I tried it again, it didn't crash.

I doubt it's that orbital bug (at least under the reasons you listed), because I launched, flew around admiring the cool skybox (I was in Coronus, Alpha Centauri), and then I went into the Navitron, to head over to the Orion station in Centris. Clicked Centris, then *crash*.

Haven't had it happen since.

Found and fixed with Soback's help*

*We've been working on it via private message and emails. I gave him some exact steps and requested more info. We narrowed his problem (with the enlarged NID/MAP menu) to him going to Navitron and exiting. On close examination, the fix indicates that this particular problem caused both issues reported here (CTD on exit from Navitron and growing NID/MAP menus).

It is related to the route finding code and some destinations.