General crash, lockups etc....(resolved)

Guest The Mule

Miss Melanie, welcome to the board, the game, and our community.

That said, one of the conventions on this board is to include important links. Vandal's idea was good and seemed to help you. Thank you for sharing it with others but please include the link.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this thread should be closed. I am having severe crash and lockup problems with the game and yet to have a solution. I've tried everything from the FAQ and I still cannot get the game to run longer then 15-20 mins.

I made a topic about it earlier thinking it only had to do with when I cargo sweep the debris field, but it happens for just about anything I do in the game. Thread I started earlier.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Zuul ]

Come on, I know there are some of you that are having the same problem I am! I'm dying to play this game. What happened to The Mule guy? Did re-alocating the memory help or not? Please, I need some answers. The game crashes to desktop or completely freezes for half the actions I try to perform. No error messages whatsoever. I can duplicate the lockups every single time too, so it is NOT a random occurance. Most specificaly when I cargo sweep the debris field near earth is when it is SURE to lockup the game. But it is not isolated to that as it happens when I do many other command specific tasks.

Will installing the Windows XP upgrade help? Any advice is sorely needed. Thanks.

Also if it helps any, all my other games run flawlessly on my system and they are all very graphic/memory intensive. BCM is the only game I have ever ran into these problems. I'm not indicating that there is something wrong with BCM whatsoever, just pointing out that it happens to be the only game that crashes/freezes on a regular basis.

I just installed Window XP and the re-installed BCM with the new patch. I also changed the ENLGISH.LNG file to ÔÇ£mixedÔÇØ. The only problem I am having now is playing in the Roam and Campaign game. The game has a CTD every time I leave MISCON. Otherwise, since upgrading from Windows ME my system has improved greatly.

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz

ASUS A7A266 MoBoard (fully updated BIOS v.1009)

512mb DDR memory

NVIDIA GeForce 3 64mb DDR (driver version 21.83 )

Windows XP (fully updated)

Direct X 8.1 installed

quote:

Really? So how do you know this?

I'm waiting.

SC, I said that because in theory someone out there might have the same exact system setup that I do that is also trying to run BCM as we speak. If I am the only person there is that is having these problems then so be it. I assure you I have not been able to play for more then 15-20 mins without the game either freezing up (resulting in a cold boot), or getting kicked to the desktop without warning.

I understand there can be a myriad of problems concerning my hardware, drivers, and OS. But I have updated every driver possible, the correct way also. I have tried messing with the video BIOS options as listed in the FAQ one by one. I have disabled Intelipoint and all TSR's in the background except for Volume Control. And as being an owner of a Gateway computer, I uninstalled Gateway GoBack a long time ago (a program that interfered with many games). I have also turned the sound accelerator to the 2nd notch from the left as specified as well as the hardware accelerator for the GeForce2 GTS. I have the latest patch and installed it directly from the BCM folder.

I don't know what to say, honestly. Is there some steps I am missing? Why is it every other game works well on my system and not BCM? Maybe it can be isolated from all this information, I just don't know. Gateway computers are famous for strange and unkown problems, maybe their configuration is garbage.

All I am asking for is help concerning this issue. I love your game and am dying to play it. I am looking for more suggestions on what to do here, and please don't tell me just to return the game and forget about it. If there is something I can do to help you figure out what the problem is, please tell me and I will give you any information you want.

Thanks...

quote:

Originally posted by surfnlt:

I just installed Window XP and the re-installed BCM with the new patch. I also changed the ENLGISH.LNG file to ÔÇ£mixedÔÇØ. The only problem I am having now is playing in the Roam and Campaign game. The game has a CTD every time I leave MISCON. Otherwise, since upgrading from Windows ME my system has improved greatly.

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz

ASUS A7A266 MoBoard (fully updated BIOS v.1009)

512mb DDR memory

NVIDIA GeForce 3 64mb DDR (driver version 21.83 )

Windows XP (fully updated)

Direct X 8.1 installed

You shouldn't be altering any files after a patch has been released. Uninstall the game and start from scratch.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Zuul:

SC, I said that because in theory someone out there might have the same exact system setup that I do that is also trying to run BCM as we speak. If I am the only person there is that is having these problems then so be it. I assure you I have not been able to play for more then 15-20 mins without the game either freezing up (resulting in a cold boot), or getting kicked to the desktop without warning.

I understand there can be a myriad of problems concerning my hardware, drivers, and OS. But I have updated every driver possible, the correct way also. I have tried messing with the video BIOS options as listed in the FAQ one by one. I have disabled Intelipoint and all TSR's in the background except for Volume Control. And as being an owner of a Gateway computer, I uninstalled Gateway GoBack a long time ago (a program that interfered with many games). I have also turned the sound accelerator to the 2nd notch from the left as specified as well as the hardware accelerator for the GeForce2 GTS. I have the latest patch and installed it directly from the BCM folder.

I don't know what to say, honestly. Is there some steps I am missing? Why is it every other game works well on my system and not BCM? Maybe it can be isolated from all this information, I just don't know. Gateway computers are famous for strange and unkown problems, maybe their configuration is garbage.

All I am asking for is help concerning this issue. I love your game and am dying to play it. I am looking for more suggestions on what to do here, and please don't tell me just to return the game and forget about it. If there is something I can do to help you figure out what the problem is, please tell me and I will give you any information you want.

Thanks...

Well, I've been staring at your posts for awhile and I can't think of anything. Clearly it sounds like a hardware+software issue but since I have no clue what you have installed on that machine, I'm at a loss. Sorry.

Anyway, if I can think of anything to try, I'll let you know. In the meantime, run DXDIAG from the DirectX control panel applet, save it to a file and send the file to [email protected] along with your system specs. You may also want to run MSCONFIG and export your system settings to a file. Send that file also. Be sure to zip these files.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Just thought I would add to the database with people with random crash problems. I have registered the game. I can run the game for 45 min to an hour before a crash. I save regularly and restore after the crash. I also close everything except freemem. I have met every requirement (Win Media 7.01, etc...)

System specs:

Windows ME

Dell Dimension 4100

P3 1GHz

256 RAM

GeForce 2... running Detonator ver 21.81

SB Live!

MS Wheelmouse

not using a joystick, but have a wingman hooked up

DirectX 8.1

8.0 Gig free space on Hard Drive, no partitions

K, sending the Dxdiag file along with system specs. I managed to open MSCONFIG but I couldn't figure out how to export the settings to a file, you may shoot me for that. ;P Anyone know how I can export settings to a file before I send SC all the info? Thanks in advance...

Edit: Nevermind. I went into Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Diagnostics. It opened up the Help Spot (common gateway help program) and from there I was able to export the most detailed system spec file I ever saw, ;P Ok, zipping em up and sending them in to ya SC.

I've got Zuul's problem. (So you're not alone after all.....)

Used a Violon, launched from Orion (Centris). Played around, fought some enemies, and after all that, I decided to go to Earth for some Debris Field sweeping. I had my shuttle tow me to Earth (I do this for speed and conservation of my radine), and fly me to the Debris Field. After I was there, I had him unlock the tow, and go on a cargo sweep. Nothing yet. Then, I head over to the Shuttles menu you get from the CC Icon, and then told all shuttles (the other 3 were still in CC and ready to launch) to Cargo Sweep. Just as I clicked, it crashes to desktop. System Specs:

Windows ME

Celeron 500

192 MB RAM

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Rage 128-16 MB) (Latest drivers-4.13.7192)

DirectX 8.1

Crashed both before the Beta patch and after I patched. Tried this about 5 times. Does it every time.

Disabled the System Restore feature of WinME. I manually set my Virtual Memory to 512MB. Defraged my system after I installed BCM. Cleared/compacted my RAM before running game (using one of those utility things), and closed every background program.

Now, the common denominator between me and Zuul is Windows ME. Anyone else have this problem? Especially if you've got another OS. Follow the steps I've described. (Launch, go to Earth (if not already there), fly to Debris Field, have marines or pilots in all shuttles and use the shuttles menu to give all shuttles the cargosweep command.)

The Beta patch covered all the other problems I've had; game's solid as a rock.

If you need any more help, I'll try to be around tonight.

There shouldn't even be any debris fields with cargo in the game. I just checked my world script and noticed that I left the one I used for beta testing (in Earth region), in the script. I will remove it. I don't think leaving it in would cause a crash. I'd have to see the crash type before I make a judgement call, but those fields definitely chew up memory, which is why there aren't any in the game.

But, that doesn't seem to be the only problem that Zuul is having.

Hiya Cmdr Nova. That sounds close to what is happening to me as well. I would send my CC near the earths debris field via hyperspace. Get within range. Send the NO to SC1. Wait till he gets on board. Give SC1 the command to launch. Everything is great so far. Then I give it the orders to Cargo Sweep. The mili second I press the cargo sweep button the game will A) drop to desktop without a trace of BCM running, or B) game will freeze and only thing I can do is move the mouse cursor around the screen with it leaving trails behind, forcing me into a complete cold reboot.

On a side note though, I am experiencing the same exact problems when I try other actions, such as flying the CC to the moon, go into Tacops mode, and the second I hit the Observe button BAM! Same exact results.

Anyways I sent the files to SC along with system specs and CD Key. Hopefully we can work this out and isolate what is going on.

quote:

On a side note though, I am experiencing the same exact problems when I try other actions, such as flying the CC to the moon, go into Tacops mode, and the second I hit the Observe button BAM! Same exact results.

You haven't installed the patch, have you?

Ok, Zuul, I got the files. So, lets start from scratch

1. Uninstall the game and delete the folder
  2. Download the 2280 drivers (this is just temporary and you can go back to 2183 later if you wish)
  3. Download and re-installed DirectX 8.1 (you can grab it from the same link above
  4. Install the game (after rebooting etc)
  5. Copy the patch to the install folder and execute it.
  6. Run the game and do NOT change ANY options

Now, run the game and describe the problem you are having with as much detail as possible - IF - you still have a problem.

Ok, thankyou SC, greatly appreciated!

This is going to take me a little bit so I will keep this post updated.

Update: None of the download links worked for me at the Reactor Critical site. So I re-downloaded Dx8.1 Runtime directly from MS, and am now downloading the 22.80 drivers from here. Will keep this updated.

quote:

Ok, thankyou SC, greatly appreciated!

This is going to take me a little bit so I will keep this post updated.

No problem. This is like a man down situation. So, we should be able to get you up and running in no time.

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Stroman - install the nVidia XP WHQL v21.83 drivers for Win9x and report the results.

TTFN

Ok, I will dl ver 21.83 when I get home on Sunday. I'll also dl the patch and let you know what happens.

fyi, I haven't been playing around in any debris fields.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ok, I'm going to start from the begining here.

I followed the steps exactly. Uninstalled BCM and deleted its folder. I uninstalled the Detonator 2183 drivers. I switched to standard PCI graphics adapter and all that. After rebooting I proceeded to install the 22.80 drivers. Rebooted. I then installed Dx 8.1 the 12 meg file from Microsofts Dx page. Rebooted. I reinstalled BCM. Copied a new download of the patch to the install directory. Executed it. Patch succesful. Keep in mind that I left the default resolution and screen depth of 800x600 @16bit. Also the sound card and graphics card hardware accelerators are both at the 2nd notch from the left.

I ran BCM now. Its starts no prob. I left all the settings alone. It started in 640x480 @16bit so I left it that way. Started a new game. Chose Terran Explorer starting near Earth at Galcom HQ in the 1st available CC. Game starts off smooth, everything is running nice. So I set a course to our good old debris field located next to Earth. After hyperspace, the CC stops at about 150 Range from the field. I go into Tactical and assign the NO to goto SC1. He finaly reaches his destination. I then proceed to give the order for SC1 to launch. I then give SC1 the order to Fly to Hazardous Area / Debris Field Earth. It flies there, everything looking good. SC1 gets to about 0 range from the debris field. I then proceed to give the order to SC1 to Cargo Sweep. As soon as I gave the cargo sweep order the game froze completely. No error messages. Mouse stops working and no movement. Cannot even alt-tab out or Ctrl-Alt-Dlt, have to pull the plug on the computer to reboot.

This is as detailed as I can get about what is happening. Sigh After all that work I realy thought this was gonna work too.

PS: Advil thanks for the good advice, but my cpu is actualy underclocked by about 3MHz, lol,