General crash, lockups etc....(resolved)

Guest The Mule

quote:

Posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Thats just temporary until it can be revised and finished.

Great. But I guess I'll keep the trading routine in the meantime.

quote:

quote:

----------------

Originally posted by Zuul:

On a side note though, I am experiencing the same exact problems when I try other actions, such as flying the CC to the moon, go into Tacops mode, and the second I hit the Observe button BAM! Same exact results.

----------------

You haven't installed the patch, have you?

I'm having that problem, too, with the patch. Oddly, it never did this before the patch.

Post-patch, I've already tried and CTDed it, on observation of the Moon, Earth, and Mars. Centris had no problems.

I'll re-install to see if it was the patch, because I know I got to Obseve Earth before I got the patch, and it crashes now. I'll report back soon.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm.. The moon froze, pre-patch and post patch. The Earth didn't freeze at all. Guess I was somewhere else, after all. (Centris looks similar from Tacops. ^_^)

But observing the Moon (Earth's Moon) does cause a CTD. So the patch didn't seem to fix that problem in particular. (Was it that problem it was supposed to correct? I might be wrong. I've got such a short term memory...)

Also, just downloaded the World Script fix. Hehe, I actually captured one of the glitched supply stations....... Don't really know what kind of havoc it'll do on my save files, though...

(Update: I've pretty much varified the crashes about the moon. At least 5 tries, and all of them with a CTD, even after my fresh re-install and patch. Can anyone else back this up? Also, my poor save files are gone. Ah well, I was just experimenting; now the real fun starts!)

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Hm.. The moon froze, pre-patch and post patch. The Earth didn't freeze at all. Guess I was somewhere else, after all. (Centris looks similar from Tacops.
^_^
)

But observing the Moon (Earth's Moon) does cause a CTD. So the patch didn't seem to fix that problem in particular. (Was it that problem it was supposed to correct? I might be wrong. I've got such a short term memory...)

You and I are experiencing almost the same exact problem if not THE same exact problem. I have always been able to do Tacops and Observe the Earth before and after the patch. But I cannot Observe the moon at all or it will CTD or the game will lockup every single time. This is post patch, not sure if I was able to observe the moon pre patch. Anyways you have ran into the debris field / Cargo Sweep CTD/lockup and you have ran into the Tacops/Observe CTD. I knew I wasn't crazy, .

I was also experiencing the Navitron/exit CTD, but the last patch may or may not have fixed it for me. Hard for me to tell since I can't get 5 minutes into the game! Well at least not the way I want to play. Gonna try avoiding the debris field and the moon and see if I CTD or lockup anywhere else.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Zuul ]

Hello,

I seem to have many of the same random problems that other people listed here are having: the the game crashing to the desktop. It seems random but almost always happens when I try observing any planet or moon. I have tried changing desktop res and game res, have been many different ships/nations,etc, set hardware acc to min, and set virtual memory to 500mb, reinstalled BCM 2wice, and downloaded the script patch to no avail. My computer is:

Dell P3 800Mhz

320 MB Ram

10gb hd

NVIDIA TNT2 M64 ver 4.12.01.0532

DirectX8.1

Running Windows ME.

Please help me and let me know if you need anymore information. This game seems good but as of yet, I can't really enjoy it...

~Eric

Guest Melanie650

Wouldn't surprise me if the majority of these errors are Windows ME related. This OS is total Crap, even Windows 98 in my opinion is much more stable. I'm gonna upgrade to Windows XP once I get the money too and once the bugs for Windows XP is resolved. Windows XP does have a much better time handling Memory than the Win9x/ME OS.

Mine crashed when carrying my BC MK 1 by tractor beam into orbit with shuttle. As soon as I hit Y to go into orbit the game CTD.

Random Navitron Crashes but that's been addressed already I think.

I had a few crashes just randomly when I was destroying ships in space battles - think that has to do with something addressed as well.

My system specs for the record are:

P3 1ghz processor

256mb RAM

Windows XP Pro with all latest updates.

Asus V8200 Geforce 3 Deluxe with DetXP drivers 21.83

50X CD Rom

Latest version of Media Player 8

DirectX 8.1

I don't run anything in the background except for what Windows XP is running itself.

I'm running BCM in all the top settings.

The only thing that's a major pain is running a game and before I am able to save my game the game crashes from random glitches. I'm pretty sure most of what I've experienced has been addressed, cept for the CTD while towing my CC from a planet.

Not related but *sometimes* the model for my AE will not appear. It just shows guns floating in the air. It fixes itself after I restart the game usually.

Ok, just got done playing the game for over an hour (mostly just testing game stability). I did a simple mission to Pluto. Hyper spaced there. Sent SC1 to the surface, Tacops and Observe was working great. Had SC1 drop off a drone to do a little mining. Meanwhile I beamed down an away team to check it out. Was using many different actions, setting waypoints, assigning orders. Only reason the game ended this time was because my CC got blown away by some Raiders while I was doing all of this.

Of course Pluto has been the only planet I've had this much stability on so far so I'm not gonna celebrate just yet.

To get back on subject, I am going to have to assume there is something extremely wrong with cargo sweeping in a debris field and observing certain planets/moons in Tacops/Observe mode, namely Earths moon. I can CTD/lockup the game at will if I do these actions, 100% of the time, no matter what drivers I'm using. We have all pretty much the same kind of problems it seems. Of course I'm not saying there aren't random crashes and lockups still that cannot be accounted for as of yet, but if you want your game to last much longer; Don't cargo sweep anywhere near a debris field and don't Observe the earths moon among some other planets like Mars.

And I do believe this all has something to do with Windows ME, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one since I'm not a software engineer nor a programmer.

And btw, I am still using the Unofficial 2280 Detonator drivers which don't seem to affect anything at the moment. I was also in 800x600 @32bit the whole time I did my Pluto mission.

Guest Melanie650

Dang this Debris field bug I totally don't understand. I was in the debris field, Yes the distance counter thingy read 0. I ordered my NO to shuttle 1. Launched it, ordered it to cargo sweep and she did her duties and stated going around looking for cargo. Gotta say I was unable to repeat this one. Sorry I couldn't help yah =).

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

Dang this Debris field bug I totally don't understand. I was in the debris field, Yes the distance counter thingy read 0. I ordered my NO to shuttle 1. Launched it, ordered it to cargo sweep and she did her duties and stated going around looking for cargo. Gotta say I was unable to repeat this one. Sorry I couldn't help yah =).

Just be HAPPY that you don't have this problem, lol. Cmdr Nova and myself indefinitely have the debris field / cargo sweep problem as we can reproduce it 100% of the time. Same with the Tacops/Observe moon and several other planets. Although these may be seperate type of crash problems they are both critical. I've had other scattered crashes, but none that were 100% reproducible like these two except for the Navitron CTD which has already been addressed.

quote:

Mine crashed when carrying my BC MK 1 by tractor beam into orbit with shuttle. As soon as I hit Y to go into orbit the game CTD.

Good news, $ilk.... I had that happen, too. My ship was damaged as hell, planetside on Centris. I had no more medpacks, so the folks in the medibay weren't gettin healed as much as they should have. Then, there were the people who were radiated. Luckily I still had Vacpacks, but they still didn't heal as much as they should have, so I decided to leave the CC behind (it probably wouldn't even take off w/all that damage), I put myself in a shuttle, and took off, to go buy some Medpacks.... Press O as I get to the orbit point, press Y, and it's CTDed again.

---------

And everyone just remember what SC said. The Debris Field in Earth is the only one that's in the game (at the moment), and it shouldn't even be there. It'll probably be removed this coming patch, and if he fixes it's workings and optimizes it then we'll have our good ol' Debris Fields all over the place, like in BC3k.

Tips:

-Don't use the Debris Field right now.

-Don't observe Earth's moon or Mars until more information comes in on this bug.

-Don't capture one of the glitched supply stations that looks like hte station it orbits. (World Script patch fixes this, so if you've got it, you won't be able to do this.)

-If you've got the Navitron problem, download the Beta patch. If you don't, well, do it anyways.

-Finally download that World Script patch. It fixes the Tulon (Arima), Pixan (Lennen), New America (Midae), and other stations, in which the supply station orbiting it becomes a clone of it, which could cause severe glitches. As I said above, don't capture them if you don't have the patch yet.

(Get the 1.0.01 Beta Patch and the World Script update at the BCM Downloads Page. Oh, and the Beta patch and (probably) every other patch after, will require DirectX 8.1.)

-Get your latest OFFICIAL drivers from your driver manufacturer's site. (That means you, Zuul. Head back to the 21.83, just in case.)

---

Now once you've read these tips, try those steps that gave you the problem again. That's what I've been doing this whole time. The 2 that Zuul have, and the new one that $ilk brought up are pretty much the only one's I've verified.

Anyone else have these problems? And those who don't, what are you running on? (More specifically, what OS, Melanie. ) I'm dead sure about the Debris Fields, but can some other people verify the Observing Mars & Earth's Moon CTD? And are there anymore that are experiencing the CTD that $ilk and I had?

That is all. Nova, over and out.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Zuul:

This is as detailed as I can get about what is happening. Sigh After all that work I realy thought this was gonna work too.

So, the game works now. Thats great.

Don't go in that debris field (its the only one in the game and was accidentally left in), perhaps my previous message wasn't clear enough?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

I'm having that problem, too,
with the patch
. Oddly, it never did this before the patch.

oops, I forgot to include the fixed ENGLISH.LNG file in the patch. doh!

The reason it worked post patch is because you followed my instructions to edit the ENGLISH.LNG file. When I built the patch script, I clean forgot to include my fixed version of this file.

Sorry!

OK, I have added it to the recent updated script file. Please download that file again and unzip.

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

You have gobs of memory I think. I haven't been able to reproduce it either and am not going to try. I will completely disable that test field in the final patch and put them all back in once I figure out the best way to handle it without being subject to the cheats the vets are used in BC3K v2.0x.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Found!

Fixed! (related to your AE not being in that craft. One of those crazy things only advanced vets would even try I think)

Thanks!

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Wouldn't surprise me if the majority of these errors are Windows ME related

Don't say that Mel!!! It's the only system that agrees with me and there's no chance in hell that I'm going to revert back to WIN98SE or install WINXP. Yes WINMe does have memmory problems but I got around it with ramidle.

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Don't say that Mel!!! It's the only system that agrees with me and there's no chance in hell that I'm going to revert back to WIN98SE or install WINXP. Yes WINMe does have memmory problems but I got around it with ramidle.

Yeah, yeah OK. Siddown.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Really? So how do you know this?

I'm waiting.

Zule & D.Smart:

I too am having very simular problems of lock ups and crash to desktop. Also these appear to be random. I agree that with no input about specifics and hardware profile, this posting is as worthless as tits on a bore, yet you might want to keep the thread open a few moew days. Will try the suggested changes on here and the FAQ tonight. If those changes do not resolve the problems, will post data tomorrow. BTW...Smart, thanks for standing by the product, I have absolute faith the staff will squash any bugs.

quote:

So you haven't experienced the random or debris field crashes?

What is ramidle and where can we get it?

I've also noticed the pattern of Win ME with 256+ of ram.

I wish I was home right now to help you guys test the crashes to the desktop since that is my problem too.

quote:

Originally posted by Trescott:

Zule & D.Smart:

I too am having very simular problems of lock ups and crash to desktop. Also these appear to be random. I agree that with no input about specifics and hardware profile, this posting is as worthless as tits on a bore, yet you might want to keep the thread open a few moew days. Will try the suggested changes on here and the FAQ tonight. If those changes do not resolve the problems, will post data tomorrow. BTW...Smart, thanks for standing by the product, I have absolute faith the staff will squash any bugs.

OK, thanks. Let me know what you come up with.

So far, apart from the few obscure bugs (9 to date and all fixed), the game should be running just fine. Obviously it is for most people, leading me to believe (as we have already seen on numerous occassion), that drivers and system configs are the culprits.

BCM is NOT forgiving in ANY shape or form when it comes to its requirements. ANY deviation from the requirements and operating conditions, CAN and WILL cause problems. Unlike more developers and publishers, I don't post bogus system requirements. While they may be steep, thats because BCM was designed for the high-end - being a niche title and all.

Unless one's gaming rig is top notch and MODERN, you stand ZERO chances of having a reliable operating environment. Quite simple really.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Stroman:

So you haven't experienced the random or debris field crashes?

What is ramidle and where can we get it?

I've also noticed the pattern of Win ME with 256+ of ram.

I wish I was home right now to help you guys test the crashes to the desktop since that is my problem too.

No I haven't got the game yet (probably in post). It's a freeware program that can be found here . Yes WINME does have problems but it can't be as bad as XP as it's older.

quote:

I will completely disable that test field in the final patch and put them all back in once I figure out the best way to handle it without being subject to the cheats the vets are used in BC3K v2.0x.

Cheating? We weren't cheating...

quote:

Good post Nova!

Thanks, SC. I'm the Newbie Welcome Wagon, it's part of the job description. (Giving the newbies some help and tips before they even think of posting.....)

quote:

Sure....... That may be true, on whatever planet you're from. WINMe is the most unstable OS I've ever had.... I'm upgrading to XP first time I get the chance. But I'll try that download, to see if it helps.

quote:

BCM is NOT forgiving in ANY shape or form when it comes to its requirements. ANY deviation from the requirements and operating conditions, CAN and WILL cause problems. Unlike more developers and publishers, I don't post bogus system requirements. While they may be steep, thats because BCM was designed for the high-end - being a niche title and all.

Damn straight! Being in battle brings my system down to it's knees! The only thing I can say, is it's incredible! (The battles, not the slowdown. ) And even the graphics out of battle, especially the way the models are scaled realistically. Very impressive.

Hm.. The score's 8-0-1 (I consider the Debris Field a compromise, so it's a tie, until it's back later.) Watch those bugs fall and beg mercy at our feet!!! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Guest dnoyeB!

I too have the desktop crash. in IA2 after I kill the station, I get gracefully returned to my desktop. I suppose the universe imploded

Anyway I think SC has said he fixed this one. So its no big deal now.

i have amd 850 athlon

gf2ti200 using latest nvidia drivers

onboard sound AC97 - shuttle ak31 rev31 - 4in1 installed

256mb ram

Just waiting for my patch opening key so I can install and play with it since Im one of those with the instant expiration issue.

For the guy whos game refuses to start, try using a different CD-ROM player. CD-ROMs often cause problems with the CD-ROM duplication protection schemes. Especially with DVD players.

quote:

Originally posted by the Supreme Commander:

One of those crazy things only advanced vets would even try I think

I guess that means I'm l337!

quote:

WINME does have problems but it can't be as bad as XP as it's older.

WHoah there fella. I switched from WinME because of it's bugginess to XP and haven't had 1/100 of the lockups, crashes associated with Windows ME. Windows XP is extremely stable - especially for a new release by Microsoft - they got it right this time.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: $iLk ]