Config key mappings...(resolved)

AlbietheOne

Subject changed to more descriptive form

Yes I did hit save and I also went to the folder and double checked to see that the config settings were set and they registered my custom set

But when I went into first person mode all controls were set back to normal ,

however I again went to the config folder and my custom settings were still intact

I wouldnt waste your time on a trival matter that mere reading would fix,

Oh no this is a matter that I cant seem to be able to figure out with your faq & help files read twice

All is not lost because ive sence went back to the default settings which btw arent tooo bad

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by AlbietheOne:

Yes I did hit save and I also went to the folder and double checked to see that the config settings were set and they registered my custom set

But when I went into first person mode all controls were set back to normal ,

however I again went to the config folder and my custom settings were still intact

I wouldnt waste your time on a trival matter that mere reading would fix,

Oh no this is a matter that I cant seem to be able to figure out with your faq & help files read twice

All is not lost because ive sence went back to the default settings which btw arent tooo bad

I think I know whats happening. Its not a bug. The movement control keys cannot be remapped (and shouldn't even appear in CONFIG). The game uses them internally in order to prevent mishaps associated with someone remapping a key that is used elsewhere in the game. So e.g. W,S,A,D,Q,E,F,Z will remain unchanged in the game, no matter what you do in CONFIG.

In fact, I'm going to disable that screen. The game uses far too many commands and its going to be a nightmare to trap each instance when playing in a ship, shuttle, fighter, vehicle of first person. Which is why, during the Beta, I disabled the ability to remap other keys.

I know fp gamers are used to remapping their keys, but BCM is not primarily an fp game and as such, there are a myriad of things that can go wrong (such as what you pointed out).

In fact, the right mouse button (button 01) is used internally to control the dynamic mouse look (click+drag in desired direction). So, guess what will happen if you mapped that key to, say, Walk? Yep, you won't have mouse look. You can map it, but the game will overwrite it internally to prevent what I just described from happening.

aw shucks. I forgot about that.

But thats a MAJOR problem which won't happen in this first patch.

For now, the ability to remap keys will be disabled in the first patch. A future patch will have it put back in once all possible holes are tested and resolved.

Well thanks again for clearing up the matter SC

I only hope that you do find a way to make the FP keys remappable

Only because FP mode in your game looks better than half of the dedacated FP games on the market

Better than Tribes 2? well lets not get crazy but your models kick tribes 2 arse terrain is very close to being just as good if not equal to tribes 2

So I think you should rethink how us fans will interprate your take on FP

I personally Like your FP to other games that just do FP so go figure

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: AlbietheOne ]