Persistent transporter/damage FX (resolved)

Guest Melanie650

Guest Melanie650

I once again was able to repeat that transporter bug problem. These are the steps I did. It maybe cause i'm doing it wrong but I dunno.

Anyways

1. I order my Character to head to the transporter room.

2. I set a position to beam down too then I click on the deploy button.

3. I walk around and just look around.

4. I go back to the tacops screen and click on where my character is located.

5. I then order him to return to base and the Evac button turns yellow.

6. I click on the evac button.

When I do this, I go to the bridgeviewer and I see that transporter effects in the front of my bridgeviewer. I go to an outside view (F9) and I notice that a giant transporter effect is constantly in the middle of my ship. I quit the game and then I start a new one but the transporter effects are still there.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Melanie650

Oops sorry about that. I added my specs in my signature. I've been able to constantly repeat this bug too by doing the steps I did above.

The NVidia Detonator drivers I have is version 21.83

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]

Guest Melanie650

I'm gonna add on to this. If you beam to another planet while you can see the transporter effect on the bridge, It will allow you to beam down but only your weapons will appear. The body of your character seems to have disappeared.

I had a similar, or exact same problem.... Don't know, because I don't know what the Transporter Effect looks like. Never used the transporter.

I play, and after an hour or so, or after a battle, I might start seeing little effects flash on my screen. This usually starts after I leave a station or load a game, after or during a big battle, or no battle but after 14:30 game time.

If you go into BC Studio (at least the version that used to be on the site for download), it looks like the "Armor" effect.

In the game, it does those little effect things on the screen all over the place. I also had this in the E2 Demo after playing for a long time.

Finally, even if you quit, restart the computer and such, when you load hte game, it persists. But when you start a new game, or go in another file that didn't have the problem, you don't get it. (So, it seems to be carried over by the save file.)

Celeron 500

192 MB Ram

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Rage 128, 16 MB; 4.13.7192)

Windows ME

DirectX 8.1

I seem to be having all the bugs... Aw, and I just rid myself of the Tacops Observe one, the Wrong Object, the Navitron, and the Debris Field ones. (Or at least worked around them.)

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

I'm gonna add on to this. If you beam to another planet while you can see the transporter effect on the bridge, It will allow you to beam down but only your weapons will appear. The body of your character seems to have disappeared.

I don't get it. Please rephrase this and provide steps.

I've had the same one Nova, It looks like a little starburst in the middle of your field of view. And it does persist in saved games, and seems to always show up after a combat sequence for me. I also noticed that it seems to be some kind of collision animation or some such and I think it relates to the camera position. Here's a good test, if you hit F9 and zoom all the way out from your ship, you don't see it, it's only when you zoom in very close to the center of an object that you get the "mini explosion" graphic. I'll leave it up to the SC to determine whether this has to do with BCM's graphics scaling code (i.e. how it decides to render small objects and sprites unless your POV is very close and detailed) or it's more related to BCM getting confused with the camera and it's creating some kind of collision detection animation. Just some thoughts... sorry for the ramble.

Vandal

Guest Melanie650

Well basically it's this. I first reported that when you beam to a planet and beam back to the ship, you get a transporter effect in the middle of the bridgeviewer and a transporter in the middle of the ship if your looking outside at your ship. Well since you were right that it wasn't fatal. I beamed down to a planet, beamed back up to my ship and there it was again. But this time I didn't wanna spend the time to quit the game just to get rid of it so I kept on playing on. I beamed down again to a planet but this time it the character model for your character is gone. Only the weapons show up. Imagine having a invisible ghost and the only things that you can see are where the weapons are (Wrist laser, the pistol, and that big gun on your back are the only things that appear).

SC, this even happened after I picked up no damage in battle, and/or I fully repaired myself after battle.

Also, if you view another object (say, for example, Orion Starstation), or even the CC by pressing F9 or F10, you could still see the starbursts. But if you zoomed out far enough, they didn't exist.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Vandal:

I've had the same one Nova, It looks like a little starburst in the middle of your field of view. And it does persist in saved games, and seems to always show up after a combat sequence for me. I also noticed that it seems to be some kind of collision animation or some such and I think it relates to the camera position. Here's a good test, if you hit F9 and zoom all the way out from your ship, you don't see it, it's only when you zoom in very close to the center of an object that you get the "mini explosion" graphic. I'll leave it up to the SC to determine whether this has to do with BCM's graphics scaling code (i.e. how it decides to render small objects and sprites unless your POV is very close and detailed) or it's more related to BCM getting confused with the camera and it's creating some kind of collision detection animation. Just some thoughts... sorry for the ramble.

Vandal

It is scaled according to the model. And since your POV is closer to the ship (from the bridge) they will appear larger. Repair your ship and it will go away.

Please don't tell me that you guys have not seen this particle emitter in damaged and disabled crafts.

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

Well basically it's this. I first reported that when you beam to a planet and beam back to the ship, you get a transporter effect in the middle of the bridgeviewer and a transporter in the middle of the ship if your looking outside at your ship. Well since you were right that it wasn't fatal. I beamed down to a planet, beamed back up to my ship and there it was again. But this time I didn't wanna spend the time to quit the game just to get rid of it so I kept on playing on. I beamed down again to a planet but this time it the character model for your character is gone. Only the weapons show up. Imagine having a invisible ghost and the only things that you can see are where the weapons are (Wrist laser, the pistol, and that big gun on your back are the only things that appear).

OK. Got it. Will try to reproduce it.

quote:

It is scaled according to the model. And since your POV is closer to the ship (from the bridge) they will appear larger. Repair your ship and it will go away.

Please don't tell me that you guys have not seen this particle emitter in damaged and disabled crafts.

Yes I have seen the effect on badly damaged ships, but the effect pops up in the bridgeviewer, when I view my ship externally, when I view other ships, star stations, planets, etc... This isn't because my ship is damage or any of these ships are damaged, it's like if you view a ship that had them at one point, they become a permanent artifact that keeps getting rendered over and over. I've also seen this happen sometimes where you view a ship that docks at that a station, and then when it switches you back to the bridgeviewer, you see the particle stream of their twin engines overlayed on the bridgeviewer at the same angle and juxtaposition as you just viewed them, minus the craft that was emitting them of course. I think to reliably repo this, you should pick a fight with an unarmed transport, since there's no chance of getting damage And then disable it, do and external view of it while disabled and then blow it up, tow it to a station, etc, and then you'll start seeing the described behavior.

Guest Melanie650

Yes but with the addition that if the FX stays on the screen and you decide to beam down again. Your character model will not show.. Only the weapons he or she has on. Basically i'm just adding on more information on this bug =)

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]

Mel, I too had this prob where my char disappeared, and it happened a couple times with my cc, all I had to do was something that reloaded the, char model, for the cc, I cloaked and uncloaked, it was fine, for the char, all I did was pull out a weapon, and it was fine...

Hope this helps mel and SC.

btw, just in case you want to know

winME

1.2ghz AMD athlon

geforce 2 mx 200/400 with 21.83 driver

512 megs ram

generic mouse (came with the comp and has no labels at all on it)

unknown soundcard, but that probably doesnt matter for this(I bought this from a friend not to long ago, and he didn't tell me what's all in it, I"m still trying to figure out what's in this comp...

40 gig hd..

thats about it

Thanks SC

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Commander Blake ]

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Blake:

Mel, I too had this prob where my char disappeared, and it happened a couple times with my cc, all I had to do was something that reloaded the, char model, for the cc, I cloaked and uncloaked, it was fine, for the char, all I did was pull out a weapon, and it was fine...

Hope this helps mel and SC.

Was this before or after the 1.0.01 patch?

SC. I got the glitch still, after re-installing and installing the new final patch. (I installed it properly, by running the patch from the BCM folder, like you suggested.) Have DX8.1, have latest drivers for Vid Card. (ATI Rage 128, 4.13.7192 drivers)

Also, I have the save files readily on hand, if you need it. Zipped it and such, as per the explanation you posted here.

Here's the save files.

(first player slot (player0), has the "resume" data and he first save slot of the player profile (the player0.sg0 and player0.sgd))

When you load it up, try to view the outside of the CC. Zoom out, you don't see it, zoom in, you do. Try it on other targets. Same glitch. You can also see it sparingly in the bridgeviewer. I'd also like to note that my ship did not recieve any damage at all during the entire course of the game, thus far.

Nova, over and out.

OK, there are two issues in this thread.

1. Persistent transporter FX

2. Partial rendered AE after transporting

3. Persistent damage FX

So...

- which one are we talking about?

- which ones are resolved?

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]