Patch Woes

cschoch

The game runs fine pre patch. Post patch is a no go for me. The game just will not start up. I get to the part where it asks for the code, I ignore it and press continue and nothing happens. The game will not load. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the game works. I applied the patch once more and I had the same problem. Post patch I cannot even get the CD to quick load, not even by going through "My Computer". If I put the disk in the CD rom drive I get the same response, nothing. I can play the game without the patch, I guess I'll just have to wait for the next one...hmmm.

System specs:

P3 866MHz

256meg RAM

GeForce 2 DDR 32meg

Detonator 21.83

DirectX 8.1

Window Media 7.1

OK, lets see if we can find out why your game no longer runs.

First things first. You said that once you patch it, then it won't run. btw, please add your OS to your sig. I need EVERY newbie who is reporting a problem, to do this please. Either put your basic systems specs in your sig or post it in the first message which describes your bug.

1. Uninstall the game using Add/Remove
  2. Use Explorer and delete the folder where the game was installed.
  3. Re-install
  4. Run the game, start a mission and then quit. This is just to ensure that it runs.
  5. Download the patch again (yes!) and copy it into the folder where the game is installed. Then using Explorer or Start/Run, execute the patch.
  6. Now run the game again. Once the protection screen comes up, click continue. Before you do that, make sure that it doesn't say it has expired. It should show an expiration date of 11/26.

If it still won't run, we can move on to Plan B. The lobotomy.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Do you have a legit copy of BCM? Trust me, I know why I am asking this. Only those with half a brain, think I'm stupid or worried about ISOs of the game currently floating around on Warez site.

Pah! SafeDisc is just the first line of defense.

Anyway, if you have a legit copy of the game, I need both of you the serial number displayed on the patch screen (where the CONTINUE button is) and your registration number (printed on the CDROM Tyvex sleeve) to [email protected]

The SC has a new bcm.exe which fixes this problem. Drop him a line and the problem is fixed.

If you try to run the new file and nothing happens, you need to get DirectlyXplodes 8.1 (aka DirectX 8.1).

Meldan

Ok, I am having the same problem in a sense, but I have noticed something. Last night I was playing the campaign when the game crashed. (Ter/Mil, launched from Galcom) The "dbhelp" caused an illegal operation around Xylan and everything went boom. Anyway I didn't play again until today and when I loaded up and the patch screen came up it said that the patch had expired and the game would not load.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it would run fine, but when I reinstalled the patch, the same thing happened. I then downloaded the patch again and reinstalled everything, and bam, same problem.

I have a legit copy and I have Direct X 8.1 installed.

Happy Turkey Day!

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

quote:

Originally posted by Korono Lakeela:

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it would run fine, but when I reinstalled the patch, the same thing happened. I then downloaded the patch again and reinstalled everything, and bam, same problem.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

Same problem? What same problem? Could you be more specific? That error message is not from BCM. Its from DX. And if the patch expired, it means that it got hosed. If this is the case (the patch expired), then send the serial number from the patch execution screen to the email indicated above.